13t sprocket installed

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2006, 12:53 AM
Default RE: Another alternative

ORIGINAL: a16tony

Not bragging, just concerned. I paid $9.99 + tax for my PBI sprocket.

a16tony,

Okay, now YOU'VE got my undivided attention. Not only on the 13 tooth front sprocket, but I've been reading in earnest on your commentary about the 13 / 45 combo that you're running on your bike.

I noticed that the bike will still accelerate in 5th gear, when it won't in 6th gear. That tells me the bike is geared wrong to begin with. So, after reading your results, I have decided that is the way to go.

Links for where you bought the parts and other such will be greatly appreciated!

Between you and Todd, you are the gurus - at least in my opinion.

Old 01-22-2006, 01:36 AM
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Marty

a16tony,

Okay, now YOU'VE got my undivided attention. Not only on the 13 tooth front sprocket, but I've been reading in earnest on your commentary about the 13 / 45 combo that you're running on your bike.

I noticed that the bike will still accelerate in 5th gear, when it won't in 6th gear. That tells me the bike is geared wrong to begin with. So, after reading your results, I have decided that is the way to go.

Links for where you bought the parts and other such will be greatly appreciated!

Your bike won't accelerrate in 6th ????? mine does with stock gearing, or do you just mean its slow to accelerate? I find the gearing is fine for the road though once I start riding in the dirt I may want to lower it

Old 01-22-2006, 05:53 AM
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Marty

a16tony,

I don't have any links to puchase anything except at Dual-Star, I gave them the info I posted in the mods post. I have shopped at my local dealers.

Old 01-22-2006, 06:07 AM
1st Gear Member

MaverickAus, what top hi-way speed have you reached in 6th? does it do better in 5th? I've hit 86mph on the flat hi-way(13/45). With stock gears I had a hard time maintaining 70. You'll be amazed how well this bike reacts to lower gearing

Old 01-22-2006, 06:10 AM
1st Gear Member

Here is the link that I bought my PBI sproket from. I sure hope that I got the right one. I paid 28.00 bucks with tax and shipping for the thing.

I also was woundering how much difference is the noise level?? From the old sprocket with the rubber vs. the new one without??

Tell me that I got the right one that I need?? Please!!!

http://www.wilsonsmc.com/eshopprod_c...R_KAWASAKI.htm

Old 01-22-2006, 09:07 AM
1st Gear Member

That looks like the correct unit. You'll be very happy. The noise is louder but it's a minor nit.

Old 01-22-2006, 04:37 PM
1st Gear Member

Thank you for your input. I will let you all know how it goes once I get the thing in the mail.

Do you know if there is a rubber gasket or something that you can fashion on to the new sprocket to cut down on the noise??

Also does the 45t in there rear make a lot of difference cause if so I plan on getting one of those once I see how the bike performs with the 13t in the front.

Thanks for all the help guys...

Old 01-22-2006, 05:46 PM
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Gravy Train

Thank you for your input. I will let you all know how it goes once I get the thing in the mail.

Do you know if there is a rubber gasket or something that you can fashion on to the new sprocket to cut down on the noise??

Also does the 45t in there rear make a lot of difference cause if so I plan on getting one of those once I see how the bike performs with the 13t in the front.

Thanks for all the help guys...
Whatever gain you get from the 13t, just imagine doubling that. 1t front = 3t rear. Unless you doing a lot of hiway or single track riding like me, it could be best to wait until you need to replace your chain before stepping up to the 45t. If you have a generous budget, just do it.

Old 01-22-2006, 08:23 PM
1st Gear Member

Thanks for the info. How long does a chain normally last with normal riding? I'm also looking for a nice skid plate, anyone have ideas where to get one. Im looking at the one made by CRD. Here is the site I found, however it is a bit expensive. Any other ideas??

http://www.fourstrokesonly.com/SkidPlatesCRD2.html

Old 01-23-2006, 12:10 AM
1st Gear Member

A good O ring chain can easily last 10,000 miles with proper maintenance. Clean it with WD-40, warm it up, and then use chain wax on it every 400-500 miles or when it gets REALLY dirty looking. Keep an eye on the tention too.

Quick Reply: 13t sprocket installed