13t front sprocket

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2009, 05:55 AM
1st Gear Member
Default thganks

Originally Posted by SlapDrum
I had a friend sit on the bike (in nuetral) so the back wheel did not spin and it required a socket (mmm I think it was a 1+1/16 socket... I did not have the 26mm or whatever size metric socket that was "really" required)
I used a breaker bar (I had about 4 feet of leverage). It came off.

Yes I did re-adjust the chain but that is pretty easy too.

Tighten it back up tight and your good!

Not hard... Worse comes to worse, take it to the shop and say, "Hey, I need to pay alittle some-some to complete what I started..." No biggie. Say it with pride... Dammit I tried.

Go for it!!!
thank you I was reading about the chain it looks really easy

Old 08-25-2009, 06:22 AM
1st Gear Member

Cool.
You'll like the 13t... I can throw my 14T away now

Old 08-25-2009, 07:39 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by afernandez
Im not an idiot just thought there was no dumb questions only dumb answers .
Easy, mate. I never said ya were. I just suggested getting a friend to help out. Ya know, I had to teach myself all this stuff when I was a kid and muddling your way through something sucks. Having someone run through it real quick makes your life alot easier.

Sorry, it was just the very first thing that popped in my head so its what I responded with. Sorry it offended, it wasn't intended to be offensive.

Welcome to the forums, theres alot of nice, imformative people here. Except Finger, he just quit smoking and is grumpy.

Old 08-25-2009, 03:28 PM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member

I had my wife of all 120 lbs sit on the bike holding the rear brake and I put a 1/2 inch ratchet and all I did was to pop it with my foot, and it came right off. if you need an impact wrench to get it off...then its too tight from the get go.

Old 08-25-2009, 04:07 PM
1st Gear Member

For some reason mine gets totally stuck. 260lb friend sat on it and held both brakes while it was in gear with a 2x4 wedged between the tire and swing arm (deflate/inflate tire trick) lock washer totally flat and with a breaker bar it would just spin the rear tire. Husky impact gun did nothing. This happens every time and I only snugged it up last sprocket change. I had to use penetrating oil and heated the nut with a torch to finally get it to pop.

Old 08-25-2009, 04:07 PM
1st Gear Member

I suggest finding a friend to help you out. At least have them sit on the bike while you turn the wrench. It's all very easy, a little supervision for the first time can't hurt.
Don't forget to put that bend back in the washer when you tighten every thing up!

Old 08-25-2009, 05:17 PM
1st Gear Member

We had a two foot, 1" drive ratchet with a 18" closed-end wrench over the ratchet to break mine loose. Its on there tight.

Not to be OT, but how ridiculous would it be if I replaced my 14-tooth front with a 13-tooth and kept my 47-tooth rear sprocket? Riding the tight stuff last week was impossible, this gutless wonder of a bike couldn't spin up enough revs to get in to second.

Old 08-25-2009, 05:40 PM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member

The problem with most people is that you need to get the socket to hit hard and fast. A slow pull with the ratchet and cheater will likely not work, but if you get your foot behind it and hit it hard then it will break loose. The impact wrench essentially does the same thing only on a smaller and faster scale.

Old 08-25-2009, 05:57 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by deej
Iif you need an impact wrench to get it off...then its too tight from the get go.
No kidding.......tell that to Kawasaki!

Old 08-25-2009, 05:58 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by cliffsta
how ridiculous would it be if I replaced my 14-tooth front with a 13-tooth and kept my 47-tooth rear sprocket?
ummmm, not ridiculous at all....many people are doing right now, including me. I ran a 12 a few times even.

Quick Reply: 13t front sprocket