13 tooth primary vs Stock 14 - A few words.

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2022, 08:36 PM
1st Gear Member

Yes, but not in some cadence like a 45° V-twin or even a 360° parallel twin. One can tell a single almost immediately when running because it only fires every two revolutions (720°) with a distinct thump, where even the 360° parallel twin is hitting every 360° with one or the other cylinder. They sound smoother, the V-twins have a distinct note that is off cadence, especially the Harley.

Old 02-06-2022, 09:54 PM
1st Gear Member

And HDs go "potato-potato-potato-potato" not anything like "thump."

Back in 2012, some riding communities were exciting that H-D might tbe coming out with a thumper/single, but I don't think that it ever materialized. Buell had the Blast, but it was truly terrible.

Old 02-07-2022, 12:57 AM
1st Gear Member

Was gonna add the FTR... Test drove one.. Got in trouble for riding wheelies on it in the front lot of the next-door Harley dealership.. Turns out that Harley dealership and the Indian dealership have the same owner.. lol

I wanted the FTR to be a dual-sport. Apparently, It really isn't. What it is, is a street bike built to look like a dirt track racer.

I badgered the membership of the Indian forum ( FTR subsection ) for anyone who'd outfitted one with DS tires, skid plate, offroad handlebar, and could give a real single track offroad review.. Finally one member did such - and this fella also owns a KLX250S !!! - he has offroad skills and reported the FTR was quite difficult t deal with on single track.. Limited suspension, heavy weight, etc etc..

So, I saw no use for one in my stable..

Old 02-07-2022, 12:56 PM
1st Gear Member

HD's go thumpity, thumpity, thumpity..... .... lets just call it thumper.

Old 02-07-2022, 01:03 PM
1st Gear Member

Sorry, dude. American English has been butchered enough by the latest generations. I'm never going to use leverage as a verb, say like every other word, or call those thumpers...you're on your own in this fight.

Old 02-07-2022, 01:12 PM
1st Gear Member

I pity the dude that drops by years from now looking for meaningful and relevant info on sprocket combinations and has to wade thru pages of "Harley's are thumpers" debate.

Old 02-07-2022, 01:17 PM
1st Gear Member

LOL! You're not wrong. Debate isn't the work you're looking for...

I used to work with a guy nicknamed sprocket (better?).

Old 02-07-2022, 10:40 PM
1st Gear Member

He'll be working on a dictionary too! Some changes are coming.

Old 02-08-2022, 03:37 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by underontop
To get back to the OP, and just to impress a newby.......I'm a recent arrival to KLX250s ownership, have a stable of BMW 650 singles, which tootle along at highway speed (110kph - ish ) at about 4,300 rpm. The 7,000 rpm of the KLX at the same speed is taking a bit of getting used to....people tell me jap bikes will run all day at those revs and more....what's the wisdom here please fellas ? If my priority is highway , is a 13 tooth front the way to go ?
If you don't like 7,000 RPM at cruising speed then going down to a 13T front sprocket is only going to raise that number some. The benefit is that you're cruising more in the meat of the powerband, so 6th gear becomes actually usable, plus obviously you get better acceleration in general, but it definitely won't put you at ease like that for cruising smoothly.

For 20 bucks though go get a Sunstar sprocket and try it. Make sure you have an impact, you're going to need it. Don't plan on breaking the countershaft nut loose with just a breaker bar.

Old 02-08-2022, 04:06 AM
1st Gear Member

Or get one of these and you can totally plan on breaking that nut loose with a breaker bar. If not, yeah you’re gonna need some help. In my case, I had my 190lb bro-in-law stand on the rear brake while I hit it with a breaker bar. It was a tough SOB from the factory.

https://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/p...procket-tool-p

Quick Reply: 13 tooth primary vs Stock 14 - A few words.