13 tooth primary vs Stock 14 - A few words.

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2022, 11:48 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Klxster
And Twins are Dukes.
And Dukes are Hazzard...I mean of.

Logic:
Thumpers are singles. HD thumpers are twins. Twins are singles. Hmmm, that can't be right.

In all fairness, I hated my GSXR track bike, so I put honda stickers on it. Maybe he's onto something.

Old 02-06-2022, 12:39 AM
1st Gear Member

Honda's are not thumpers, Kawa's are not thumpers.
Thumpers are HD's, BSA 440 singles, and pretty much anything else that the valves float @ less than 5500 rpm. That rules out the above, cause they are not thumpers.

Old 02-06-2022, 01:42 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by bmart
And Dukes are Hazzard...I mean of.

Logic:
Thumpers are singles. HD thumpers are twins. Twins are singles. Hmmm, that can't be right.

In all fairness, I hated my GSXR track bike, so I put honda stickers on it. Maybe he's onto something.
More info on the track bike please. 600? What didn't you like about it?

Old 02-06-2022, 01:44 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by durielk
Honda's are not thumpers, Kawa's are not thumpers.
Thumpers are HD's, BSA 440 singles, and pretty much anything else that the valves float @ less than 5500 rpm. That rules out the above, cause they are not thumpers.
How do you know all Harley v-twins are floating valves at less than 5500?

What does any of this even stem from? You're literally just making things up. Also Honda and Kawasaki produce v-twins too.

Old 02-06-2022, 01:53 AM
1st Gear Member

Definitely making things up. I'm out on that part of the conversation. It reminds me of folks who insist seat belts kill, or front brakes are evil. ouuuut!

My Gixxer was a 750. It was llike steering a school bus compared to the R6 I owned before it, and the R6 I went back to. Both oooold version. It was impossoble to climb around it to control it, so it had to be muscled around. One ended the day exhausted. I can ride double sessions all weekend on the R6 and be physically just fine. And I never needed the extra ~30HP. Faster lap times on the R6 at every track with ease.

Old 02-06-2022, 02:09 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Klxster
Mark is correct, However, my current stable of motorcycles is at an all time low with recent sales of the "collectables" and the Harleys.. I am getting old nowdays and no longer find open class racing machines enjoyable - so most of those are gone..

3 new Indians,( RM, Chief, Scout )
Husaberg FC501,
KLX300R,
TW200E
What!? No FTR1200?

Well a duke is singular, so you tell me why duke's are twins?
... so what is your interpretation of 'duke'?
John Wayne

Actually the original Duke motorcycle was a 600 single built by KTM, kind of a street fighter. Duke was just a name, no indication of anything else. Honda made the Ascot as a 500 single to start, then later a V-twin. Just a name. Kawasaki made a GPz that was a twin, not an in-line four. Plus the LTD series which was both twin and four. Just a name.

Thumpers were singles named as such because they kind of went thump - thump - thump as they ran. Especially the old big British singles. So, no really in my 50+ years in motorcycles including 22 in a dealership full and part time I never heard of anything other than a single being called a thumper until this thread. So I'm going with history on this one.

Last edited by klx678; 02-06-2022 at 02:12 AM.
Old 02-06-2022, 03:11 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by bmart
Definitely making things up. I'm out on that part of the conversation. It reminds me of folks who insist seat belts kill, or front brakes are evil. ouuuut!

My Gixxer was a 750. It was llike steering a school bus compared to the R6 I owned before it, and the R6 I went back to. Both oooold version. It was impossoble to climb around it to control it, so it had to be muscled around. One ended the day exhausted. I can ride double sessions all weekend on the R6 and be physically just fine. And I never needed the extra ~30HP. Faster lap times on the R6 at every track with ease.
Interesting! I know maybe people prefer the Gixxer ergonomics for street riding vs the R6, so maybe that same compromise is what makes it worse for the track.

Old 02-06-2022, 03:40 AM

To get back to the OP, and just to impress a newby.......I'm a recent arrival to KLX250s ownership, have a stable of BMW 650 singles, which tootle along at highway speed (110kph - ish ) at about 4,300 rpm. The 7,000 rpm of the KLX at the same speed is taking a bit of getting used to....people tell me jap bikes will run all day at those revs and more....what's the wisdom here please fellas ? If my priority is highway , is a 13 tooth front the way to go ?

Old 02-06-2022, 11:49 AM
1st Gear Member

The KLX will rev all day long at that 7000 rpm, regardless of speed. 13 tooth works well off road, but it depends on terrain and how hard one wants to ride. Some go even lower. I've run a 13/45 for sand and 90% off road and I also ran a 14/38 just to try it out. It will work on road, but I didn't shift into 6th until around 55--60 mph. The 13/42 nestles right in between those. Reasonable off road without screaming at 60.

Old 02-06-2022, 12:31 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by klx678
Thumpers were named as such because they kind of went thump - thump - thump as they ran. Especially the old big British singles.
ExAcTlY!!!!!!

Quick Reply: 13 tooth primary vs Stock 14 - A few words.