13 tooth primary vs Stock 14 - A few words.

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2022, 12:05 AM
1st Gear Member

Well, you have the right to be wrong and spout nonsense - all of which has been noted.. Perhaps you should sell your KLX for something with more power, go into that bikes' forum and re-spout this junk in that forum about that bike - cause there's always some bike with more power than whatever bike a peep owns..

This is not the place to be for a peep that wants to compare KLX power to every other bike one could own..
I.E. No one comes here in order to determine whether a KTM makes more power than a KLX or not.. They do come here to learn what is possible with KLX modding..

I'm done with this.. Beating my head on a brick wall is non-productive activity..

Last edited by Klxster; 02-04-2022 at 12:20 AM.
Old 02-04-2022, 01:31 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Klxster
Well, you have the right to be wrong and spout nonsense - all of which has been noted.. Perhaps you should sell your KLX for something with more power, go into that bikes' forum and re-spout this junk in that forum about that bike - cause there's always some bike with more power than whatever bike a peep owns..

This is not the place to be for a peep that wants to compare KLX power to every other bike one could own..
I.E. No one comes here in order to determine whether a KTM makes more power than a KLX or not.. They do come here to learn what is possible with KLX modding..

I'm done with this.. Beating my head on a brick wall is non-productive activity..
Evaluating a bike I own without bias is the opposite of nonsense.

You sound like you have zero perspective when it comes to motorcycles. I'm guessing the KLX is the only bike you've ever ridden.

Old 02-04-2022, 10:16 AM
1st Gear Member

I'm thinking KLXster has or had a couple Indians, pretty potent engines in them.

I know it sounds like exaggeration, and it is, but really if you can pick up 5 hp in a KLX it will feel major in relation to the bike's stock power, being a 20% increase. That, in any engine, is a serious boost, be it an 18 hp KLX or a 500 hp crate engine in a car. Plus proper jetting or fuel mapping in the KLX will take care of flat spots in the throttle response and again feel major. The jetting or fuel mapping are developed to meet DOT/EPA specs first, max performance second. So there is a lot of small gain low hanging "fruit". The jump in displacement will feel significantly stronger if going big bore. So it is all relative and any gear head ready to do the modifications will realize they aren't going to see MX bike horsepower and performance.

I'm not seeing it as disservice, just some enthusiastic rhetoric license to emphasize the gains comparable to stock. I know doing the jetting and MCM on my 09 picked it up decently and gearing did a lot depending on what is desired. Plus you will never reach a mutual understanding here, as many have learned..

Old 02-04-2022, 01:20 PM
1st Gear Member

I specifically chose my carbureted KLX250 for its traits, including low power, lower seat than some, etc. I would not want more power, different power curves, etc. The skills I want are from the rider adapting, not the equipment, unless someone is at an elite level. Ride anything you want. They're all fun.

Old 02-04-2022, 03:23 PM
1st Gear Member

I include HD twins as thumpers (which was the intention) as they usually top out at about 5K rpm (speculation), while the KLX does twice that. IMO, KLX is not a thumper as it has very high rpm capablility in the stock and modified forms. It isn't ever going to be a KTM, but it is 1/4 the cost, so there is that. Mine is a very capable and fast with the 350, I'm not rac'in and don't intend to. I it is an awsome trail bike with very little maintanence requirements, period.

Mods for 20% power increase are HUGE! WTG guys!!!!

Old 02-04-2022, 03:32 PM
1st Gear Member

Interesting. I've never heard of multiple interpretations. I know thumper as single cylinder.

Old 02-04-2022, 04:00 PM
1st Gear Member

Mark is correct, However, my current stable of motorcycles is at an all time low with recent sales of the "collectables" and the Harleys.. I am getting old nowdays and no longer find open class racing machines enjoyable - so most of those are gone..

3 new Indians,( RM, Chief, Scout )
Husaberg FC501,
KLX300R,
TW200E

Last edited by Klxster; 02-04-2022 at 04:44 PM.
Old 02-04-2022, 06:57 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by bmart
Interesting. I've never heard of multiple interpretations. I know thumper as single cylinder.
... so what is your interpretation of 'duke'?

Old 02-04-2022, 08:06 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by bmart
That's because there aren't multiple interpretations.

Originally Posted by durielk
I include HD twins as thumpers (which was the intention) as they usually top out at about 5K rpm (speculation), while the KLX does twice that. IMO, KLX is not a thumper as it has very high rpm capablility in the stock and modified forms. It isn't ever going to be a KTM, but it is 1/4 the cost, so there is that.
So we're just making stuff up now? RPM has nothing to do with a bike being a thumper or not, that's not what that means. It's a nickname for single-cylinder engines, period. You don't get to decide on a whim which singles or twins are or aren't thumpers, that doesn't make any sense. 10,500 isn't very high RPM either.

As to the KLX costing a quarter of a KTM, guess we're making up MSRPs too.

Old 02-04-2022, 09:42 PM
1st Gear Member

Spoiler

U didn't answer my question about duke!

Last edited by durielk; 02-04-2022 at 09:44 PM.

Quick Reply: 13 tooth primary vs Stock 14 - A few words.