13 Tooth CS

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2008, 06:55 PM
1st Gear Member
Default 13 Tooth CS

Can someone direct my to where to buy and what model fits best?

Old 09-21-2008, 07:07 PM
1st Gear Member

Okay.. Here's a good project for you to master. See the SEARCH button up at the top of the screen (above the advertisement window)?
Click that button and type in "13 tooth counter sprocket". All of the files that contain the words that you searched for will show up. There will be lots of info from various members. Chose the one that seems a best fit for you and ... You're home!

Old 09-21-2008, 07:18 PM
1st Gear Member

Jeez! Wouldn't it have been a lot fewer keystrokes to just tell me where you bought your 13 t cs?

Old 09-21-2008, 07:41 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by markcr
Jeez! Wouldn't it have been a lot fewer keystrokes to just tell me where you bought your 13 t cs?
Yeah really... I hate when people do that to me. Sometimes when you do a search, which I do alot when I need info...your overwhelemed with pages of threads. I mean, do people expect you to spend about 5 hours reading through pages of threads?

It takes two seconds to help someone out.

I can't help ya on where to get one because mine came with one. But its a JT sprocket if that helps...at least I think it is. I'd have to check. I know my local kawasaki shop will automatically just find one for ya because thats where the previous owner of my bike bought that one. He got both a 12 and a 13 tooth. And I'm sure they got them from parts unlimited or tucker rocky or something. Seems to be two most popular dealer parts companies.
________
Zoloft Lawsuit

Last edited by JasonFMX; 03-29-2011 at 07:14 AM.
Old 09-21-2008, 07:42 PM
1st Gear Member
Thumbs up "Give a man a fish" vs "Teach a man to fish"

Originally Posted by markcr
Geez! Markcr, Don't take offense. I thought that you might like to see how many opinions there are on the 13 tooth sprocket and where they were bought. I remember a "sage" on this forum suggesting that a certain Honda part was exactly right. I bought it and he was exactly wrong!! We had to grind a lot of metal off of that puppy before it fit! AND we had to do it in the dirt with a power grinder, while holding the sprocket in a vise.

Now you may realize why I suggested that you read the whole story from the search window. Be forewarned that taking the original sprocket off can be a very tedious job. The problem is that there is a washer behind the sprocket that is almost paper thin and isn't visible unless you really look hard. It will have to be set to flat on ALL sides or you will not get the thing off of the shaft!! (I don't care how powerful your arms or air gun is either.) After flatening that lock washer, we just used an extension with a further pipe extender and she came right off. Others have had a lot of other braking efforts with two people working on the project.

Good Luck!

Old 09-21-2008, 07:52 PM
1st Gear Member

Name:  train_wreck-782867.jpg
Views: 44
Size:  39.5 KB

Old 09-21-2008, 08:01 PM
1st Gear Member
Smile Giving in just for you.. HA

Originally Posted by JasonFMX
Yeah really... I hate when people do that to me. Sometimes when you do a search, which I do alot when I need info...your overwhelemed with pages of threads. I mean, do people expect you to spend about 5 hours reading through pages of threads?

It takes two seconds to help someone out.
I give up. I did the search for you. Does this help??

13 tooth Moose sprocket moose part # 1212-0073 which is listed specifiically for the 06-07 klx 250s.

Old 09-21-2008, 09:00 PM
1st Gear Member
Red face Oooops!

Hey again, Markcr,

Just did a search for your posts and found out that you are new and that you have a 2009 KLX250.

You said:"What a great forum! Just signed up and have put out a few replies. Like many, I'm a new owner of a 09 KLX250S and am wondering which way to go with the mods. It looks like the standard 09 DJ kit is the ticket. As for the exhaust, there's Muzzy, FMF, 2 brothers, etc. I'm wondering how good the stock header is and if I need to replace it or just go with a slip-on? Any thoughts? (silly question)"

So, I'm not sure whether the Moose part that was suggested will work, or not, on the 2009. I would think so but you may want to seek info specifically from the 2009 owners.

Old 09-21-2008, 09:17 PM
Banned
1st Gear Member

here's the dirty of it- any sprocket made for a Honda XR650L will fit any KLX250S whether it's an older '06 or '07 or the new '09. I know, I've had both and the same sprocket was ordered and went on both bikes. When you get the sprocket, you'll know if it's the correct one by the look of the sprocket. The correct one will have a raised shoulder that goes towards the cases. If your sprocket doesn't have that shoulder, you have the wrong sprocket. Taking the sprocket off is cake once you break it loose. Just loosen the rear wheel, slide the axle almost out and push the rear wheel forward lifting the chain off the sprocket. Some just pop the master link out of the chain but I hate messing with that tiny thing as it seems like it flies off and I lose it in my garage. Plus, you'll have to loosen the rear wheel anyways to adjust the chain as it will require you to tighten the chain since there is one less tooth. It ends up to be around a half notch on the swingarm if you're looking at the '09.
Also, the same sprocket that fits a Ninja 250R up to '07 will fit our KLX's. FYI, the KLX300 front sprocket will NOT fit. The rears are the same however, KX bikes thru KDX to our KLX's. They are all interchangeable.

now with that said, you still need to use the search function, that's what it's for. you not only need to know what part fits, but how it affects the bike which is very important for this mod because it pretty much takes the roadability of the bike away. If you use your bike on road much, you may want to steer clear of it as it makes first gear all but useless and it shoots the rpms up to around 7K at 60mph vs 6K with the stock 14 on. But, the bike wheelies great with the 13 on. I go back and forth but for me, most of my commuting is in town at speeds rarely approaching 55mph so I'm good with the 13.

Last edited by 09KLXowner; 09-21-2008 at 09:21 PM.
Old 09-21-2008, 11:14 PM
1st Gear Member

Thanks for the feedback everyone. No offense taken. 09KLX, thanks as always. One post and I have all the info I need. And, yes, I did a search first but got too many hits to consume all at once. I may be a newb but I'm not a moron. Well, ok, sometimes I'm a moron but don't tell my wife. I still have her convinced I'm brilliant...

Quick Reply: 13 Tooth CS