12T sprocket help

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2010, 12:28 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by TNC
Count the links? Who has time for that?

I always see these posts about folks buying new chains and wanting to know the exact chain link number. I buy a chain that I know is longer and then just bench grinder the excess length. The slightly longer chains don't cost any more that I've seen. Am I missing something?
Ya you are missing something.

First off most klx riders are not hard core dirt bikers we got other priorities. Just look at all the posts about basic jetting..lol. Take me for example, sure I put a 351 piston in the bike and a fcr and a muzzy, and suspension mods, plus a lot of other crap....but good lord I am no dirt bike expert. I'm a software developer that is really good at fishing in S. Florida and happens to like dirt bike riding like I did as kid on a yz 80....so I got a klx......I want my chain pre cut.....just sayin

But now that ya mention cuttin longer chains.....what tools are required? All I got is a lil hand held press for puttin on the master link.

Last edited by Finger Mullet; 01-10-2010 at 12:50 AM.
Old 01-10-2010, 03:05 AM
TNC
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Finger Mullet
Ya you are missing something.

First off most klx riders are not hard core dirt bikers we got other priorities. Just look at all the posts about basic jetting..lol. Take me for example, sure I put a 351 piston in the bike and a fcr and a muzzy, and suspension mods, plus a lot of other crap....but good lord I am no dirt bike expert. I'm a software developer that is really good at fishing in S. Florida and happens to like dirt bike riding like I did as kid on a yz 80....so I got a klx......I want my chain pre cut.....just sayin

But now that ya mention cuttin longer chains.....what tools are required? All I got is a lil hand held press for puttin on the master link.
Don't give me that crap. I'm not buyin' the..."Gee, which end of this spark plug goes in my cylinder?"...LOL!

Seriously though, I just find which link needs cutting and go over to the huge but cheap Harbor Freight bench grinder and grind the two links down...then tap them out with a high quality Craftsman punch.

Old 01-10-2010, 06:46 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Gobius
Walker Valley and Tahuya mostly. This time of year Walker is pretty snotty and therefore a bit technical for me (I'm pretty much a noob in the dirt), so I prefer Tahuya. Only problem there is the giant water holes. I hope to be getting out a lot more often after the quail season closes over on the dry side.

My oldest son was out at walker near the 1st and made it up to the top with a bunch of friends that were on quads he has a yz426 and the only bike of the bunch- he said it was one of the tuffest snottiest rides he has been on but snow and all he made it to the top. I'm starting to fear his skills but I think he is just trying to make me get the 351 kit faster

I love tahuya ( 45 mins away ) thats where I found out my kickstand switch is a POS; found the connection under the seat and fixed things up and got back on the trail. The good thing about Tahuya and water on the trail is the gravel bottom, at capital its a red mud bottom and can be a huge problem.

Old 01-10-2010, 08:09 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by TNC
Don't give me that crap. I'm not buyin' the..."Gee, which end of this spark plug goes in my cylinder?"...LOL!

Seriously though, I just find which link needs cutting and go over to the huge but cheap Harbor Freight bench grinder and grind the two links down...then tap them out with a high quality Craftsman punch.

Alright that sounds good and all, but how exactly do you cut the chain and install a new master link? Pics are worth a thousand words

I dont know how to cut a chain and put in a new master link.....and I bet I am not alone How about posting some pics on how to do this .... I'll post a thread on how to install a kick starter.

https://www.kawasakiforums.com/forum...ht=kickstarter

Old 01-10-2010, 11:52 PM
TNC
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Finger Mullet
Alright that sounds good and all, but how exactly do you cut the chain and install a new master link? Pics are worth a thousand words

I dont know how to cut a chain and put in a new master link.....and I bet I am not alone How about posting some pics on how to do this .... I'll post a thread on how to install a kick starter.

https://www.kawasakiforums.com/forum...ht=kickstarter
Well, it's probably going to be a very long time before I have to do it again, as I just installed new sprockets and a DID X-Ring chain...that purty gold one...so I won't have any pics anytime soon. Think about it a minute. The two ends of any chain are the ones without a plate and pin in them...so the supplied master link can connect it. All you've done with a longer chain is bench grinder that last plate that you don't need on one side where the two braded pins stick out of the plate. Then you punch out the pins with the punch from the side that you just ground off...or use a chain tool if you have one. I don't even use a press-fit master link, but that has nothing to do with grinding the extra length off anyway. It's caveman simplicity at its best. It's really nothing technical...just something you probably haven't thought about before.

Old 01-12-2010, 12:01 PM
1st Gear Member

Have ground of the posts of chains with the Dremel Grinding wheal. It allows me more control. Have not done a motorcycle oring chain but I cant see how it would be different. TNC's looks right to me. you can also pry the plate off with a screwdriver but make sure you dont bend anything you want to keep.