is a 128 DJ main jet to rich for full ex, an free mods with stock pilot

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2008, 03:08 AM
1st Gear Member
Default RE: is a 128 DJ main jet to rich for full ex, an free mods with stock pilot

Yank that stock power robbin filter and put a k+n on it.

ORIGINAL: mudjunkie

hi guys, I am at sea level and I recently put on a two-brothers slip-on (finally) and switched my jetting as follows:

originally (with drilled stock exhaust to 1 3/8")
132 DJ main jet
slide drilled 7/64ths
FS out 2.5 turns
clip on 4th position
airbox lid modified with app. 3"X3" hole in top, no snorkel
with this set-up the bike seemed to run great, but after putting on the two-brothers I changed to this:
128 DJ main jet
slide drilled (no change)
FS about 2 1/3 turns out
clip moved to 3rd position
airbox lid still the same as above
I have had the new pipe on for a week now and have run a complete tank of gas through the bike with it (new smell finally gone), but the bike pops a little bit on decell and the exhaust smell is more prominant than it was before the new pipe was installed. Am I running a tad rich?And should I ditch the lid altogether? or should I drop the needle a slot? I don't know much about tuning the carb, but am willing to pull it if need be to make any adjustments that would dial it in. Any suggestions are appreciated. Thanks.
Here is the airbox lid...

Old 05-11-2008, 02:24 AM
1st Gear Member
Default RE: is a 128 DJ main jet to rich for full ex, an free mods with stock pilot

That's a uni-filter on there, not the stock filter.....I am sure many others are running it with the carb jetted as well. K&N I have heard let in too much dust.

Old 05-11-2008, 06:49 AM
1st Gear Member

How do you ride?
If you commute or puppy the girl, you probably only use up to half throttle most of the time.
Start with setting the fuelscrew (always the first place to start).
I would go to 2, maybe 1 3/4 turns out from lightly seated.
Lose the airbox lid. Let that filter do its job.
BTW, I run an M7 too. My carb' is set up with OE (Kehein 138 main, 40 pilot) jets and I run an N1RX needle, airbox lid off , fuel screw at 1 3/4 out.
Is there soot in the spark screen on the pipe?

Old 05-11-2008, 08:00 PM
1st Gear Member

I'll have to check the screen, I know the first couple days it was turning color...ie getting that burnt look to it, but I am not sure on soot. I run it a lot on the street, when I run to work it's at 7-8k rpm 110-120 KPH 13/45 gears and vortex throttle so I know i am usually around 1/2-3/4 throttle.

Old 05-11-2008, 09:26 PM
1st Gear Member

It sounds like you're running rich on the needle.
Raise the clip one notch to lower the needle.
Lose the airbox lid.

Old 05-13-2008, 01:04 AM
1st Gear Member

Thx westoz, I was thinking maybe to try lowering the needle a notch, as I think i read others have it at slot 2 not 3 as I do...I am convinced it's rich (even though it pops a bit on decel) as the muffler smells like gas and when i put my ball cap on the rear rack it reaks of exhaust when I put it back on.

I can change the needle w/o taking out the carb right?...remove the tank and go down from above?...Question #2 ...does anyone know the screw size and pitch for the screws holding the cover on the diaprahgm? I would like to replace these with something more robust, say allen heads. Thanks.

Old 05-13-2008, 06:04 AM
Banned
1st Gear Member

stick with the 128 till yah get all the goodies ya want, much better to run rich than lean.

Old 05-13-2008, 08:52 AM
1st Gear Member

The screws are M4 X 12mm. I'm pretty sure. Get hex heads if you can. They don't hold water or dirt like the allen type. Ger some M4 X 15mm for the boottom of the carb' while you're at it. Fit them next time you take it off.

Old 05-13-2008, 04:17 PM
Banned
1st Gear Member

has anyone found these screws at a USA store like lowes or home depot? just wondering because I'm about to dive into the carb whenever the jet kit arrives any day now.

Old 05-13-2008, 04:24 PM
1st Gear Member

Tip.
Try your local MTB cycle store. Most modern MTB's will use the metric bolts in these sizes.

Quick Reply: is a 128 DJ main jet to rich for full ex, an free mods with stock pilot