12 Volt hook up.

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2009, 11:42 PM
1st Gear Member

just a quick one westozklx, i read in my workshop manual, that the over heat light should flash when the bike is neutral, does you bike do this? i have never sean my warning light on and just wondering if it works. or anyone with the older analog cluster

Old 05-28-2009, 11:55 PM
1st Gear Member

No, never seen it on. I have had the fan cut in a few times though. Deep sand is hard going.

Old 05-29-2009, 06:56 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by fgk228
what year model is it etc, but its very interesting, what halogen were you using, and did you test with and with out battery charging.
Without going trough all of the details. I had the bike at 4000RPM and applied loads until the batt was in a state of discharge (less than 12.5V and steadily dropping). The type of Halogen light bulb I used had no bearing, because I was measuring the current draw of each load that I hooked up. From there it's just P= EI as you probably know.

The total system could handle was 11A@13.8V, so 11x13.8= 152W..that's the entire system, with the factory items consumption added-in.

Headroom (total draw - factory draw) was somewhere in between 60 to 70W.

No sense in testing without the alternator hooked-up because we never operate that way. I think we lose a bit from what the book says due to the efficiency of the regulator.

It's also completely useless to rate product in reference to 12VDC when we are always operating at at least 13V with the engine running.

Old 05-29-2009, 10:17 AM
1st Gear Member

dam, does this mean ill have to take off my dvd player, coffee machine, headed cup holder, sound system and abs...ohhh never mind, i released that i have a klx not a BMW, sorry

Old 06-01-2009, 11:24 AM
1st Gear Member

Finished the mod a few days ago but I've only just uploaded the photos. The weather here has been great so I've been riding, surfing and hammering the MTB.

Here is the waterproof connection that comes with the Powerlet kit. I've fitted it snugly behind the headlight.

The main cable from the waterproof plug to the battery was routed next to the OE wiring loom. I think this is the neatest route for the new wires although it did mean removing the tank.

Still following the OE wiring loom the new cables were routed around the airbox (note TwinAir filter and no lid) and secured in place with the OE wiring clips and a few extra cable ties.

Here are the new wires running into the waterproof fuse housing (part of the kit) and the live and earth cables attached to the battery. I was able to fit the new cables on top of the existing cables from the OE wiring loom as they had the same type of connection. The fuse holder (fitted with the supplied 15 amp fuse) was then secured in place by fitting it next to the battery box using an existing bolt (the bolt holding the battery box to the frame.)
The Powerlet kit is very comprehensive and I give it 5 out of 5. The only work I really had to do was to fab' up a small bracket to mount the 12V socket. This kit is designed for the socket to be fitted to a plastic panel so the absence of a bracket isn't really an issue.

Old 06-01-2009, 11:29 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by WestOzKLX
Got going a little late today. Kids eh! Gotta love em though.

First off I acquired a small galvanized bracket designed for fencing of some description. Don't ask me, I bought it cause it was galvanized and only 80 cents. Back home I set to shaping it into a more desirable form. 20 minutes with the drill, angle grinder and a selection of small files produced the desired effect. I love tools. The more you can have out for a single job the better.
I had already decided that the best site to fit the bracket was to the upper fork clamp on the right side. It has 2 bolts to hold the bracket securely and offers some protection for the 12 volt plug.
The bracket fitted up perfectly and the top fork clamp bolts were torqued back up to the correct spec'. The plug was then fitted up without a hitch. That's half the job done. I'll do the easy bit, the wiring tomorrow.

Here a few shots of mod so far, or is it a farkle. Anyway I had some fun workin' in the garage with the sun out and the beach boys on the radio. It's all good.

All the shots on one page.

Old 06-03-2009, 02:41 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by fgk228
just a quick one westozklx, i read in my workshop manual, that the over heat light should flash when the bike is neutral, does you bike do this? i have never sean my warning light on and just wondering if it works. or anyone with the older analog cluster
I've had it come on before but it came on when it got hot.

Old 06-17-2009, 07:10 PM
1st Gear Member

Another resource for electrical gee gaws for motorcycles.
http://easternbeaver.com/Main/main.html

Old 06-17-2009, 07:29 PM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member

Nice! That's the same one I installed last year.

Name:  P8186949.jpg
Views: 31
Size:  104.4 KB

Name:  P8186948.jpg
Views: 33
Size:  61.8 KB

I would like to find a 12 plug for the Garmin, any ideas?

Old 06-18-2009, 12:50 AM
1st Gear Member

This may help!
You're after a 12 volt plug for your GPS?

http://mail.gme.net.au/garmin/access..._ref_chart.php

Quick Reply: 12 Volt hook up.