100ohm resitor ????

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2009, 08:56 PM
1st Gear Member
Default 100ohm resitor ????

When i set up the switch in place of the key there are 2 black wires that have a 100ohm resitor on them, do u close the loop with the resitor and hard wire for good or is that suppose to be on the switch too. I just wasn't sure if there some kind of draw by hard wiring this in. Hope someone knows what im talkin about.

Old 02-24-2009, 05:41 AM
1st Gear Member

I found this puzzling too. I cut out the resistor and hooked between the two black wires shrine tubed in place and taped up with my new switch. The bike will not start without it hooked up. I had to remove the ignition switch on mind for my new alien headlight, vapor combo.

Old 02-25-2009, 01:00 AM
1st Gear Member

The Resistor is supposed to act like more wattage for the led lights or it wont blink at the proper rate it should be parrallel to the light.

Old 02-25-2009, 01:18 AM
Admin
1st Gear Member

When the switch is "off" those two black wires are shorted together. And when the switch is "on", they are connected only by the 100 Ohm resistor. I think it is probably a security thing so someone can't just unplug the ignition switch and easily hot wire. The CDI is apparently looking for a particular resistance between them and won't allow the bike to start without finding it.

Old 02-25-2009, 01:38 AM
1st Gear Member

cool, so if i hard wire the resistor into those black wires and leave it go there won't be any problems? sounds like it's time to put it all back together. i'll post some pics of my project when it's all done. While i'm thinking of it the switch i used was a radio shack double pole double throw and works fine for the American model.

Old 02-25-2009, 01:59 AM
Admin
1st Gear Member

If you had one more pole / throw on that switch you could do it right and short the two black wires together when the switch is in the "off" position. If you just hard wire it with the resistor in between, I think your bike will start regardless of switch position. I'm not 100% on that, but I think so.