1/4 mile times on your KLX250z

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2008, 12:25 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by green242
One thing you don't haveto worry about is affecting the steering for the negetive. If it's the same model that I bought with my KTM, you can change the strength of dampening at the turn of a button, with a pair of winter gloves on it's so easy.
The guy said that the bike had terrible wobble at higher speeds, he put the dampener on and at the lowest setting it removed the wobble. I don't notice a thing when trying to turn quickly. Only time I can feel a difference is when the bike is on a stand and I can feel the effects of the dampener.
One thing I did notice though is it seems almost every big bore KTM has had a steering stabilizer put on.
Thanks for that info.
It's something I have considered as I hear it reduces arm pump and fatigue.
Is this true?
In summer I suffer from arm pump and cramp after a long day.
Not so much in winter.

Do you know if you can effectively turn it off if need be?

Old 08-11-2008, 03:38 PM
1st Gear Member

I've got the WER and love it even wide open in 6th gear no wobbles hell I could eat a sandwich and have a beer,opps coke its so boring.

Kevin

Old 08-11-2008, 06:04 PM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member

My time would be more like 70 mph in 30 seconds You know because I'm HUGE!!! But I would like to see. Problem is our drag strip here is only 1/8 of a mile.

Old 08-11-2008, 07:04 PM
1st Gear Member

Thats funny that this post is here cause just yesterday cause a couple guys stopped by and talked to me and they wanted to see if I could beat there cr250 two stroke in a drag , I knew i wouldn't win. I was with him til about mid 2nd, thats where the two stroke could just take off.

Old 08-11-2008, 08:32 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by tremor38
I could see doing it purely for giggles. Better be real smooth shifting at speed above 70 though or you will induce the ol' 'death wobble.'

I contacted Scott's the other day about steering stabilizers. I learned that the 06/07 KLX250s shares has the same handle bar clamp as the 02 and prior KX250, so mounting one high is doable with the 'weld-on' kit and stock tank. I just need to know from them whether their stab will get rid of that wobble.

air shifter lol go all out. maybe pinks will pick it up

Old 08-11-2008, 08:53 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by neilaction
Thanks for that info.
It's something I have considered as I hear it reduces arm pump and fatigue.
Is this true?
In summer I suffer from arm pump and cramp after a long day.
Not so much in winter.

Do you know if you can effectively turn it off if need be?
Maby, but I havn't ridden the bike long enough to get fatigued yet. I don't know if there is an "off" position. I don't think so. But last time I had the bike up on a stand I was playing with it, and the absolute lowest setting feels like an "off" position. But I KNOW you will never feel the need to turn it off.
Like tremor said, if you hit a rock and normally when the rock throws your wheel in the opposite direction and you potentially go flying out of control, the stabilizer will decrease the deflection ALOT... Depending on the setting of course. Which will in turn keep you on the trail.

Last edited by green242; 08-11-2008 at 09:07 PM.
Old 08-11-2008, 09:29 PM
Admin
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by green242
One thing you don't haveto worry about is affecting the steering for the negetive. If it's the same model that I bought with my KTM, you can change the strength of dampening at the turn of a button, with a pair of winter gloves on it's so easy.
The guy said that the bike had terrible wobble at higher speeds, he put the dampener on and at the lowest setting it removed the wobble. I don't notice a thing when trying to turn quickly. Only time I can feel a difference is when the bike is on a stand and I can feel the effects of the dampener.
One thing I did notice though is it seems almost every big bore KTM has had a steering stabilizer put on.
While a steering damper may correct a wobble, you should probably look first at the suspension and sag adjustments. Once you get all that dialed in, the wobble will most likely be gone. Then add the steering damper to for those high speed hits of rocks, roots, etc. Use the damper to help with the abnormal case, not the normal.

Old 08-12-2008, 12:58 AM
1st Gear Member

The wobble on the KLX is all in the tires. Mine had it bad until I put the Kenda 270 on the rear. I can ride at 85mph on the highway amongst the big rigs and it's just fine. The knobbies on the Dunlop cause the wobble. Heck you can feel it at any speed. Dampers are for after hitting bumps while cornering.

Old 08-12-2008, 08:02 AM
1st Gear Member
Cool

Originally Posted by deej
My time would be more like 70 mph in 30 seconds You know because I'm HUGE!!! But I would like to see. Problem is our drag strip here is only 1/8 of a mile.
Your strip is 1/2 the normal so just double ya time, where the hell are the smileys in this new fangled forum? I'm smiling a cheesy smile.

I have no idea why the hell anyone needs a damper on the KLX, mines been to 86 mph with no wobbles (road tyres). I've had it up to 65 mph with a full knobby on it and no wobbles. Waste of money IMO, then again others have said the same about most of the stuff I do with my bike. Cheesy grin again.

Old 08-12-2008, 08:34 AM
1st Gear Member

I get the wobble quite consistently with 17" steet tires/wheels, so I really doubt it's related to knobbies or tire type...though there may be an issue with balance. I will, however, wait to see how the bike acts once the new motard suspension is installed and sag is set. I have noted the that you can reduce, or sometimes completely stop the wobble by shifting your weight more aft, so the increased spring rate in the front and slight decrease in the back might just do the trick.

If the the wobble is still there, I won't hesitate to add a damper. Thanks for all of your opinions though. The damper will make the bike more forgiving at higher speeds or any speed for that matter and I'm all for that.

Quick Reply: 1/4 mile times on your KLX250z