1/4 mile times on your KLX250z

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2008, 03:06 AM
1st Gear Member
Default 1/4 mile times on your KLX250z

Im workin some jetting issues out but figured I try and win a few more trophys racing bikesz in the 1/4 mile..........Anybody try theirs on a drag strip......

My guess is mid 17z in a 1/4 mile....Be cool anyways to see what the 60ft and 1/8 mile etc is with different jets.....Figure weather permitting I run 3 times maybe 4.....Will make for great pics and possibly a trophy If Im consistent....lol....Will she wobble and crash before the 1/4 ends....How much time will be saved without the plastic...lol

Hell ya Im gonna do it......Its only parts...

Stay tuned

Rocco

Old 08-11-2008, 03:55 AM
1st Gear Member

A member on the board ran 15.20's at around 83-84 i'm sure he'll chime in I might be a tenth or to (+or-) off.

Kevin

Last edited by kgwld1; 08-11-2008 at 03:59 AM.
Old 08-11-2008, 04:08 AM
1st Gear Member

WHY?

Old 08-11-2008, 04:56 AM
1st Gear Member

why the hell not people race lawn mowers right?
hell i bet the first motard race was looked at funny.

could it be? motard drag racing????????

Old 08-11-2008, 08:49 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by TUCAZ520
why the hell not people race lawn mowers right?
hell i bet the first motard race was looked at funny.

could it be? motard drag racing????????

I could see doing it purely for giggles. Better be real smooth shifting at speed above 70 though or you will induce the ol' 'death wobble.'

I contacted Scott's the other day about steering stabilizers. I learned that the 06/07 KLX250s shares has the same handle bar clamp as the 02 and prior KX250, so mounting one high is doable with the 'weld-on' kit and stock tank. I just need to know from them whether their stab will get rid of that wobble.

Old 08-11-2008, 09:54 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by tremor38
I contacted Scott's the other day about steering stabilizers. I learned that the 06/07 KLX250s shares has the same handle bar clamp as the 02 and prior KX250, so mounting one high is doable with the 'weld-on' kit and stock tank. I just need to know from them whether their stab will get rid of that wobble.
I looked into the Scotts as well and It will get rid of the "death wobble".
Just dial it in enough.
In the end I was concerned about affecting the slow steering a bit so I didn't do anything.
I think for street use a steering stabiliser can really settle a bike down.
And for off road it's a bit more of a compromise.
Great for high speed sweepers and the like but not so great for real tight twisty stuff.
Increases the amount of effort needed.

But I have never ridden a dirt bike with a stabiliser so I only "know" what I have read.

I believe the WER is a choice for the KLX that has been tried but the Scotts is the beeez neeez.

Old 08-11-2008, 09:56 AM
1st Gear Member

Why....

Cause it will cost me $12 to race and/or watch all night long....Why not do everything in life once.....Pluse youtube neeeds another Dual Sport video....lol...j/k

Rocco

Old 08-11-2008, 10:13 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by f1rocco
Why....

Cause it will cost me $12 to race and/or watch all night long....Why not do everything in life once.....Pluse youtube neeeds another Dual Sport video....lol...j/k

Rocco
I'd like to see it.
What a laugh.

Old 08-11-2008, 10:43 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by neilaction
I looked into the Scotts as well and It will get rid of the "death wobble".
Just dial it in enough.
In the end I was concerned about affecting the slow steering a bit so I didn't do anything.
I think for street use a steering stabiliser can really settle a bike down.
And for off road it's a bit more of a compromise.
Great for high speed sweepers and the like but not so great for real tight twisty stuff.
Increases the amount of effort needed.

But I have never ridden a dirt bike with a stabiliser so I only "know" what I have read.

I believe the WER is a choice for the KLX that has been tried but the Scotts is the beeez neeez.
One thing you don't haveto worry about is affecting the steering for the negetive. If it's the same model that I bought with my KTM, you can change the strength of dampening at the turn of a button, with a pair of winter gloves on it's so easy.
The guy said that the bike had terrible wobble at higher speeds, he put the dampener on and at the lowest setting it removed the wobble. I don't notice a thing when trying to turn quickly. Only time I can feel a difference is when the bike is on a stand and I can feel the effects of the dampener.
One thing I did notice though is it seems almost every big bore KTM has had a steering stabilizer put on.

Old 08-11-2008, 12:02 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by green242
One thing you don't haveto worry about is affecting the steering for the negetive. If it's the same model that I bought with my KTM, you can change the strength of dampening at the turn of a button, with a pair of winter gloves on it's so easy.
The guy said that the bike had terrible wobble at higher speeds, he put the dampener on and at the lowest setting it removed the wobble. I don't notice a thing when trying to turn quickly. Only time I can feel a difference is when the bike is on a stand and I can feel the effects of the dampener.
One thing I did notice though is it seems almost every big bore KTM has had a steering stabilizer put on.
Thanks for the info on the 'wobble removal,' Neil.

From what I've read, most people report pretty positive experiences with the Scott's stabilizer. According to what I've heard, you can completely shut-off the low speed dampening circuit for the tight stuff. The high speed circuit is still enabled and while you wont feel the difference turning the bars, you will still be protected from objects on or sticking into the trail that suddlenly bump your front wheel in one direction or the other.

Anyway, it seems like the real deal. Probably my next mod, once I've recoverd from the cost new valves and springs from Moto-pro.

Definitley U-tube it if you put that bike on the strip, Rocco

Quick Reply: 1/4 mile times on your KLX250z