> 1$ valve compression tool

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2010, 07:48 AM
1st Gear Member
Default > 1$ valve compression tool

I wanted to change out the valve stem seals when I was doing other work to the bike but I dont have a valve compression tool and the ones I can borrow are too large. So I cam up with this solution. Sorry in advance for no photos. I killed my camera on a dive/work trip.

First get a short lenght of 2x6" pine (around 16-18")
Drill a hole on one side and put one of the locator dowels on the bottom of the head in it. (I think I used a 3/8" Bit)
Run a long screwdriver down the headbolt hole to mark where the other dowel pin is. Drill that out.

Now you have a base that will keep you from marring the bottom of the head and also will keep the head in one spot.

Next go to your local HomoDepot or equivelent and pick up
1ea 3/4 PVC pipe cap
1ea 3/4" x 4 or 6" nipple
1ea 1/4" x 2" bolt(Make sure threads go all the way to the head)
2ea cut washers for above bolt
1ea Nut for above bolt

I had all but the pipe cap bouncing around the shop allready.

Drill a hole in the center of the pipe cap and install the bolt with a washer on each side so the head of the bolt is inside the cap.

Cut a 3" lenght of 3/4" pvc pipe (If you had to buy a nipple cut the threads off both ends. Champher the edges and clean off all stray pieces of pvc with a utility knife.

Put the pipe in a vice and drill a 3/8" hole thru both sides about 1/4" from the end.

Useing a dremel enlarge and enlongate both holes a bit to permint more internal access.

Insert the pipe into the cap with the bolt and chuck that up in your drill press.

adjust table that normaly holds the work on the drill press so it is canted at an angle equil to the angle of the valves in the head. (I think its around 22degrees but my drill press does not have an accurage readout)

with the head on the 2x6 and the 2x6 on the drill press table line everything up so you will be able to compress the springs with the drill press(NOT RUNNING & I suggest unplugged) I clamped the 2x6 to the table with a C clamp. I also suggest if you dont have a clamp to keep the drill head down(Valve spring compressed) that you get a lenght of small line that you can use to tie the handle in place to allow you to use two hands. I was able to remove and replace all 4 valve oil seals without too much hassel.

Old 11-20-2010, 11:59 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by maninthesea
I wanted to change out the valve stem seals when I was doing other work to the bike but I dont have a valve compression tool and the ones I can borrow are too large. So I cam up with this solution. Sorry in advance for no photos.....
Stopped reading there, waiting for the updates....

Old 11-20-2010, 02:05 PM
1st Gear Member

I'd like to see pics too!

This is what I came up with when I replaced a valve in mine - this with a C-Clamp, worked like a charm!

Just a piece of copper tubing, flared in on one end, window cut out on the side.. Worked perfect.

Old 11-20-2010, 02:36 PM
1st Gear Member

Sounds like a good project! Would like to see photos.

Old 11-21-2010, 08:56 PM
1st Gear Member

Mine was simular to CL's but in PVC(Paronoid about goughing or scraping something) and instead of open end I had a cap with a bolt in it to alow it to chuck up into a drill. If I can still find it when new camera comes in Ill take some photos for the visionary impared.
Cheers Jim