09klx250sf New Owner Questions

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2013, 09:11 PM
1st Gear Member

Due to poor weather there wont be any test driving this evening. I have reattached the air box cover and turned the idle control screw down a little and it purrs perfectly right at 1200 rpms. Below is a link to a video I just took....Not much to see but more to hear. I believe this to be the same noise I am hearing at high speeds.

Grahamgower - would this be the normal valve and cam chain noise?

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ehm4r91gv3...165205_058.mp4

Old 10-17-2013, 10:07 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Brieninsac
Yes, there should be a snorkel in the hole. If it's missing you might as well buy the KDX one many of us are using. It's a little wider allowing for more air flow. As for the ticking I doubt it's the valves or cam chain with only 4,000 miles on it.
Could easily be the cam chain at those miles. Mine made a heck of a racket before 4K miles. Others have done it sooner, some seem to never have the problem.

OP: I didn't read the whole thread...maybe it was covered...maybe you saw elsewhere. If not, the automatic cam chain tension adjuster on this bike is prone to wearing out and failing. Not to worry, there is a fantastic, inexpensive manual replacement adjuster available from Krieger. It may start as a little metallic ticking, usually around 5K rpm. When it gets bad, it may sound more like rocks shaken in a coffee can. The failure isn't catastrophic from what I've heard, but left too long can cause excessive parts wear and expensive repair (ask TNC). Congrats on your find and welcome to the forums.

Old 10-17-2013, 10:44 PM
1st Gear Member

I didn't hear anything unusual, it sounds like my 2012. My ears aren't the best though.
Since the bike runs well, the carb probably has a DynoJet kit installed. It's definitely been set up for use with the open airbox. Even with your newbie ears, the sound from the airbox would be distinct and as loud, or perhaps louder than, the exhaust note - so it seems you may have retimed or aftermarket cams. Sounds like you have a hot rod KLX with all the kinks worked out. You'll never know how wimpy the motor is in stock trim. Start bolting on lids and snorkles and you might find out though.

Old 10-17-2013, 11:05 PM
1st Gear Member

Sounds normal to me.
In my experience, the cam chain usually doesn't clatter much or any at idle when it's just a little too loose. Mine clattered between 4500 and 6500 +/- rpm at first, then got progressively worse and louder.

Interested to hear back on how it performs on your test ride with the lid on.

Last edited by IDRIDR; 10-17-2013 at 11:07 PM.
Old 10-17-2013, 11:26 PM
1st Gear Member

I did get to take the bike out for a few miles in between showers and get it good and warm. Since I put the intake box cover back on(no snorkel) and dropped the idle speed down a touch I didnt see the rise in idle like yesterday.

Klxster - Would you strongly suggest not putting the lid back on? I cant really say I noticed much noise difference from on to off.

Idridr - I assume the automatic cam chain tension adjuster would be internal?

Last question(far fetched one...) - what are the chances they went with one of the bigger rebuild kits? How could I tell?

Along with the previously mentioned upgrades it has vortex handlebars/risers, new clutch lever, shift lever, Tail light removed/updated and even a few inches of the tube frame cut off. All done in very good taste if you ask me(im very picky and less is always more to me). That is all I have noticed so far and it has taken some good time to realize a lot of them.

Guess I did get very lucky!

Old 10-17-2013, 11:46 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Arickrock
Would you strongly suggest not putting the lid back on? I cant really say I noticed much noise difference from on to off.
If you can't ask your neighbors.

In all seriousness, it's really a matter of personal preference. I hated mine being off and just opted for a larger snorkel. Lots of guys on here ride with the lid off. So play with it and go with whichever you like better. I doubt there's any real power gain either way.

Old 10-18-2013, 12:23 AM
1st Gear Member

Well, I think your bike could be configured like mine - which makes you one lucky fella - and I know from my dyno runs that with the lid off I am at the perfect AFR with hot air (99F) and will be increasingly lean as air temps go down. I can't imagine monkeying around with lids and snorkels that restrict my airflow and threaten my carb setup. Like you, I have no horrible airbox racket, thanks to my re-timed cams . That noise is why most lids are left on.

Your lid has probably been off for a long time if not years. So far so good ? Right?

Old 10-18-2013, 12:27 AM
1st Gear Member

I had the cam chain ticking become an issue at around 4000km on my bike... would only become audible between 4500 and 6000 rpm, so basically anytime you are in town :/ Installed the Krieger Cam Chain tensioner and voila! No more noise. This was AFTER taking it to the kawasaki dealership and having the mechanic rattle the plastic chain guard in search of "supposed" noise.....

In my neck of the woods, one hour in the shop is twice the cost of the cam chain tensioner, so I would start there and at the very least you get a shiny new piece for you bike :P

As for the airbox lid, I'm putting mine back on, have tried numerous runs with many different settings and the only improvement I could not was an increase in top speed with cold, dense morning air, a 132 main jet and the airbox lid removed.

Looks like a cam mod might be in order when I pull the trigger on the big bore :P The bike does love that extra air and fuel, :P it's just too noisy

Old 10-18-2013, 12:35 AM
1st Gear Member

Big Bore kit ... You think maybe ???? Try this -
Click on my name then "find all posts.." Look my video on the "Finale" post..
It takes all my bikes' got to do that,, can yours do that easier than mine?
(I'm 215lbs, if your a lot lighter and can still wheelie with ease then you've got more power than I do.)

Old 10-18-2013, 12:46 AM
1st Gear Member

https://www.kawasakiforums.com/forum...stalled-36477/

Thanks to you guys and this link I will be purchasing one of these tomorrow! I will let you know how it goes and no doubt will be back with more questions!

Ps.....Im a rock climber also and there is a huge forum culture in that sport also. This forum is far more straight forward and informative. Less flaming and not as much bashing of new people who are asking questions that others have worked hard to obtain the answers too.

Thanks again!

Quick Reply: 09klx250sf New Owner Questions