09 us klx 250s no start

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2011, 10:44 AM
1st Gear Member
Angry 09 us klx 250s no start

OK Folks, my klx is giving me fits. It tries to start, but can't. I pulled the plug and grounded it to the radiator and cranked it. What I observed puzzled me. When I first pushed the crank button, I got one clean, strong spark, then no sparks while it cranked, and then as I let go of the crank button, I got one more good spark. It sparks once when I first push the crank button and once after I let go of the crank button. Does anybody have any ideas as to what the problem may be? I would appreciate any help.

Thank You,
Klxista

Old 11-20-2011, 01:41 PM
1st Gear Member

Doesn't the radiator mount up to the frame with rubber isolators? That may not be the best spot to try your test. Maybe try a grounding location on the engine?

Old 11-20-2011, 03:23 PM
1st Gear Member

My '09 is all stock and is hard to start when cold. I find it helps to crank a bit than stop for 10 sec. After about three cycles it starts. I know this problem is easily fixed w/ a few carb mods, just haven't got around to it.

Last edited by DYNOBOB; 11-20-2011 at 03:29 PM.
Old 11-20-2011, 10:05 PM
1st Gear Member

new spark plug! E3 iridium plugs are awesome

Old 11-20-2011, 10:29 PM
1st Gear Member

push the kill switch on and off a few times

Old 11-20-2011, 11:32 PM
TNC
1st Gear Member

klxista, did you own this bike last winter? I see you're in Penn. If the starter jet hasn't been drilled, that may be the case. Also these bikes are notorious for clogging their pilot jet and the slide if the fuel sits idle for a few weeks. Not always, but not uncommon at all. I'd recommend some fuel stabilizer if your bike sits idle for a few weeks at a time, especially in colder weather. The starter jet is still the best fix for cold starting issues.

Old 11-21-2011, 01:58 AM
1st Gear Member

Jump it from a charger or good battery. Some bikes have enough charge to rotate the engine but don't leave enough to fire the ignition. Have you tried to bump start it? They[mine] seem to be a bit fussy about where the idle RPM is.

Old 11-21-2011, 02:23 AM
1st Gear Member

Idk... sounds like you have "spark" from your description even if you find it ambiguous, i'd move on to the carb if it were myself.

Old 11-21-2011, 03:26 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by klxista
When I first pushed the crank button, I got one clean, strong spark, then no sparks while it cranked, and then as I let go of the crank button, I got one more good spark. It sparks once when I first push the crank button and once after I let go of the crank button.
Lets see, push button~spark, hold button no spark, let go of said button and it sparks again. Yep that sounds like carb trouble.

Rag away

Old 11-21-2011, 03:35 AM
1st Gear Member

As said above, don't rely on the radiator for grounding.

If you get the same behavior when grounding to the engine, I bet you have an electrical problem: could be the CDI unit, the pickup coil, or other.

That is, if the battery is strong enough and the engine cranks at a decent speed, which I assume is your case.

Quick Reply: 09 us klx 250s no start