09 SF fork seals.

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2012, 02:45 PM
Da dirty moderator
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Borg
Interesting... Nobody I know in the bicycle industry has ever slid anything under the seals to clean them out.

I'll have to try that out...

I'm guessing I'll have to slide it past the bulge in the forks upper leg where the oil seal is?

Maybe the seal started leaking due to brake dust accumulating on the stanchion? I'm really good about wiping down stanchions on my MTB, but always forget on the KLX, plus it's an inverted fork, so I can't just wipe it with my hand like I normally do.
There is a wiper before the actual seal... Get in there with a tiny flat bladed screw driver and pop the wiper off a bit then slide it down that way you will be right at the seal. Slide the milk jug piece up all the way around and back out. should be good. This is always way you should never ride a dirty bike. Especially with dried mud on the fork it will get past the seal into the oil.

Old 03-19-2012, 03:00 PM
TNC
1st Gear Member

Risk Racing also makes a nice seal cleaning tool. Keep in mind that you usually have to drop the dust seal on many fork designs to get at the crud in the actual oil seal.

Old 03-19-2012, 04:48 PM
1st Gear Member

Wasn't aware of that.

I know of Fox forks, they only have a dust wiper, so you can lift them off easily, and they have a foam lubrication ring under them. But nobody makes a bicycle fork where the dust wiper and oil seal where you can lift up the dust wiper like on a Fox.

Learn something new every day.

Old 03-20-2012, 12:28 AM
TNC
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Borg
Wasn't aware of that.

I know of Fox forks, they only have a dust wiper, so you can lift them off easily, and they have a foam lubrication ring under them. But nobody makes a bicycle fork where the dust wiper and oil seal where you can lift up the dust wiper like on a Fox.

Learn something new every day.
Hmmm...I wasn't talking about MTB forks, but now that you bring it up, some Marzocchi MTB forks still use a motorcycle style oil seal held in place with a keeper ring and a separate dust wiper stacked on top of that just like many of our dirt motors. I worked on an 888 Marz DH fork today at a bicycle shop. The 3 Marz MTB forks in my shop right now all have a motorcycle seal underneath a separate dust seal. The Enduro Seal company makes replacement seals for Fox and others that have a dust seal and separate oil seal. They're not that uncommon. Most Fox and RS forks don't have this as you pointed out. The separate oil seal and dust seal is often on full oil bath forks but not always even then. I have a Fox Vanilla 36 and a 140mm RS Pike too. At one point or another, I've worked on just about every type and style of MTB fork.

Old 03-20-2012, 09:36 AM
1st Gear Member

I'm just comparing to what I know.

Fox happens to be the only one with a liftable dust wiper, but they don't have an oil seal under it.

Where as on a Marzocchi you need to remove the stanchions to lift the wipers, since they're in there tighter than a nun.

Every Marzocchi has oil seals with a circlip holding them in, as far as I know. Afterall, they did make Motorcycle suspension first.

I made a little cleaning hook out of some old plastic binder, and got a few little pieces out from under the seal, went for a bit of a ride, and it doesn't appear to be leaking anymore. *Cross fingers*

Thanks guys!