'09 Purchase Price

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2008, 11:46 PM
1st Gear Member
Smile

Originally Posted by cliffsta
Well, congratulations that dirtbikes aren't super-popular where you live and you can get them cheap

9% sales tax = $400 shipping fee from the dealer they bought it from ($350) title, dealer prep, and what-not. I don't feel bad or guilty about my purchase, don't call me impatient and unrealistic for my purchase. Its a 2009 bike and it took them a month to even locate one, I'm satisfied with an OTD price only 500 dollars above base MSRP. These bikes are selling like hotcakes. If its the bike you want and the dealer gives you a number you are willing to pay, take it. The 2009 was the bike I wanted (not the '06, and not another bike) and the dealer got me a number under the pricerange I came into the door willing to spend, so I went with it. So IMHO, go in with a maximum price you'd be willing to spend, if they (dealership) comes up under it, then I say go for it.
Well whatever dude, If you're cool with spending $1000 more than someone else for the same thing that's your business. I'd be embarrassed to post about it though. My point was merely that patience is key when purchasing a vehicle. and try to sell it for more than $4k when your next whim comes along. I see it every day, Big hurry to buy it, find something else, big hurry to sell it and buy something else. I work too hard for my money to have that attitude.

Old 08-05-2008, 02:09 AM
1st Gear Member

Well from what I've read here and TT, ~$5300 OTD has been a common price for '09 KLX-250S bikes, so I felt that I got the best possible deal, especially considering sales tax is 9% and they had to find one elsewhere. I agree that patience is very important in buying a vehicle. I started looking at bikes in April and made my purchase in June after deciding exactly what I wanted. I work hard for my money, too, and when I decide to spend it, it's going to be on what I want and when I want it, not 6 months later when it might go on sale.

Its totally cool and your right to have your opinion, but please don't call me an "impulse buyer" and foolishly impatient / unrealistic and claim I got ripped off because I paid a few hundred dollars more than somebody else. I got mine, I love riding it and learning to ride on it and spending time riding with my dad, that's all that really matters, not the dolars and cents

Old 08-05-2008, 02:22 AM
1st Gear Member

I don't buy it. My little dealer here in Mt Airy NC can get me out the door on an '09 for $4'800. So any other dealer can do the same. Anyone who pays hundreds more has been taken advantage of. Nothing against you personally. If anything, I am insulting the dealer. They are going to get as much as they can. They lie steal & cheat to make you believe you can't beat their price but in my 43 years I've learned the truth.

Old 08-05-2008, 02:35 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by cliffsta
Well from what I've read here and TT, ~$5300 OTD has been a common price for '09 KLX-250S bikes, so I felt that I got the best possible deal, especially considering sales tax is 9% and they had to find one elsewhere. I agree that patience is very important in buying a vehicle. I started looking at bikes in April and made my purchase in June after deciding exactly what I wanted. I work hard for my money, too, and when I decide to spend it, it's going to be on what I want and when I want it, not 6 months later when it might go on sale.

Its totally cool and your right to have your opinion, but please don't call me an "impulse buyer" and foolishly impatient / unrealistic and claim I got ripped off because I paid a few hundred dollars more than somebody else. I got mine, I love riding it and learning to ride on it and spending time riding with my dad, that's all that really matters, not the dolars and cents
Paying the fees at the dealership is inevitable. Sales tax is simply un-avoidable and that's the biggest fee we face when buying a vehicle. You were in the same boat the rest of us were when we bought our bikes. We pay to get these things. So what... I saved over $300 just last month alone on gasoline commuting to work and running about town. These bikes pay for themselves and are alot of fun at the same time

Mike

Old 08-05-2008, 03:10 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by gerrynolan
I don't buy it. My little dealer here in Mt Airy NC can get me out the door on an '09 for $4'800. So any other dealer can do the same. Anyone who pays hundreds more has been taken advantage of. Nothing against you personally. If anything, I am insulting the dealer. They are going to get as much as they can. They lie steal & cheat to make you believe you can't beat their price but in my 43 years I've learned the truth.

That's true to a certain extent but sales tax varies state to state. I paid 6% in my state but if I crossed the border into Delaware then I'd have paid no sales tax at all. Unfortunately you have to pay sales tax in the state you reside in, not the state you buy the vehicle in. Dealers fees however are negotioable as well as msrp. Those are the areas where we can negotiate.

Mike

Old 08-05-2008, 03:18 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by gerrynolan
Yeah that's a pretty good deal. They are the only dealer around so I guess they can get away with jacking up the prices, verses smaller dealers elsewhere maybe. I know dealers are crooks, any vehicle sales unit is out to get their money, I just accept that's the way it is, I guess. It never bothers me the first bit if I read someone else saved money compared to me. It doesn't matter how good a deal you get on any major purchase, somebody somewhere else bought it for cheaper :P

That's why my opinion to the O.P. is to fully decide what you want, have a figure in your head that you are willing to spend, and don't go over that. If the dealer won't bring you back a number you like, smile, and walk out the door.

Old 08-05-2008, 09:30 PM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member

I would have paid ten grand for my bike and I still would have been deliriously happy.

Old 08-06-2008, 12:43 AM

Thanks to all for the replies. Today, I called my dealership, told them what I would pay (based upon the feedback I have received from each of you), and let them know that I'd be there in 10 minutes if they wanted to sell the bike for a reasonable price.

We shall see...

Old 08-06-2008, 02:20 AM
1st Gear Member

cool I hope you get it

Old 08-06-2008, 02:30 AM
Banned
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by bozemanbound
Thanks to all for the replies. Today, I called my dealership, told them what I would pay (based upon the feedback I have received from each of you), and let them know that I'd be there in 10 minutes if they wanted to sell the bike for a reasonable price.

We shall see...
they won't call you I'm betting.

nolan- lay off, you sound like me. yeah he got ripped off, but it wasn't you so wtfc?

Quick Reply: '09 Purchase Price