09 KLX250SF - Aftermarket Coil

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2011, 12:10 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by bweekley
flateric, keep us posted I was hoping the coil would be the trick..... It's got to be something dumb, why are the 250S models not doing it?
Mine kinda does what you are describing, but not as dramatically. I'm thinking fuel myself.

Old 02-11-2011, 10:35 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by bweekley
flateric, keep us posted I was hoping the coil would be the trick..... It's got to be something dumb, why are the 250S models not doing it?
I ride different. 65 mph indicated is about 6500 RPM all the way to work. For me its an occasional misfire, not a constant miss or loss of power.

I know its a new bike, but still spraying water on the coil wire (the fat one), testing the spark AT THE PLUG and checking the plug wire with an ohm meter are the tests that are important.

David

Old 02-11-2011, 01:26 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by David R
I ride different. 65 mph indicated is about 6500 RPM all the way to work. For me its an occasional misfire, not a constant miss or loss of power.

David
I have the 09 S and have the same problem. I really notice it more so when the bike is not completely up to a good operating temp. Once the bike has been riden for a few miles and is nice and warm this problem is not noticeable. Anyone else with this problem notice the same thing?

Old 02-11-2011, 01:49 PM
1st Gear Member

For me the temp doesn't seem to have much to do with it. Some times it's in the morning, it starts about 3 miles from home. Other times it's in the afternoon about 18 miles in to a 20 mile ride home. My daily commute is 20 miles to work each way so 40 miles a day. I put 5,500 miles on my 09 sf last summer just riding to work. Man I can't wait for the temps to get about 37º so I can go back to riding to work......come on SUMMMMMMER

Old 02-11-2011, 02:11 PM
1st Gear Member

Just riding along and it will buck once or twice. Some days it will buck (misfire) frequently. Other days nothing. I keep thinking its air or intake related. Changing exhaust, re jetting, and going to KLX snorkel all made no difference. It is from 6500 to 7000 rpm.

Still cold here..... Sonofabitch!

David

Old 02-11-2011, 08:06 PM
1st Gear Member
Default Sweet

Hi guys...

So I just got back from the Dyno runs and we got the problem down to an electrical problem and I have a simple test for all of you to try to see if you have the same problem as I have...

Here is a little description from the Dyno guys from Ducati Seattle (absolutely great people and very knowledgeable):
"Ran unit on Dyno. Checked A/FR. Checks GOOD. Found misfire in ignition starting at about 6K RPM. Tested electrical. Unplugged Stator/VReg-Rect and unit ran normal. No Misfire, no hesitation. Suspect Stator and/or Voltage reg-Rect as problem with runability."

To make it simple to test (dont test too long or your battery will drain): remove the plug from the voltage regulator (make sure the plug will not go in the chain when driving). If the problem goes away, you have the same problem and you should be able to go to a dealership and have them replace the parts (dont know yet between the Voltage reg or the Stator) until it runs fine (I have not yet done so but planned on going tomorrow morning).

The Dyno run show wonderful little spikes down when it does misfire and the guys at Ducati were amazed that just unplugging the Voltage Reg made the spikes disapeared...

At least I have a great proof on paper that there is a problem...

Hope this helps.

BTW, the bike does SAEPwr = 20.2 and SAETrq = 14.1... My settings are the same that Dynojet Kit stage 2 says (except 3 1/2 turns out instead of 3). I got a FMF Q4 slip-on, snorkel removed, K&N air filter.

Old 02-11-2011, 08:15 PM
1st Gear Member

This is great to hear and the second time I saw the same answer. I will try mine as soon as the snow goes away. Congrats on reaching twenty horse power.

I was at 3 1/2 turns on the pilot too.

David

Last edited by David R; 02-11-2011 at 08:18 PM.
Old 02-11-2011, 08:46 PM
1st Gear Member

I think at 3.5 turns out, you guys are getting close to loosing your mixture screw. You may need to go up one size on the pilot jet. That will let you run that screw in to where it is catching more threads.
Dan

Old 02-12-2011, 02:55 PM
1st Gear Member

Hey guys i had the same problem, it happen on the highways after cruising at the same speed for a while. i went to a dyno shop they told me that the factory carb is vaccum operated and it goes lean or rich i don't remember after staying at the same speed for a while nothing you can do . I purchase a carb from Bill Blue and no more stumbling, lot more power..

Old 02-15-2011, 04:19 PM
1st Gear Member

I just took the bike in at the dealership. They said they would run it on the Dyno to see if they can reproduce the problem (no doubt they will!!!). And hopefully they find what the problem is FINALLY and fix it under warranty!

David: I just read you were able to ride your bike... Does it still bogs after 6,000RPM?

Last edited by flateric; 02-15-2011 at 05:49 PM.

Quick Reply: 09 KLX250SF - Aftermarket Coil