09 KLX250SF - Aftermarket Coil

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2011, 10:12 PM
1st Gear Member

I have a misfire around 65oo rpm. I blamed it on a few things, I have always thought it was breathing related, but still not sure. After doing work on the carb, its still there. It felt like the slide was sticking while I worked the throttle. Sometimes the bike is bucking at about 65 mph. The bike has had a misfire since I bought it slightly used (2,000 miles on it).

I replaced the carb with a TM36-68, but we have snow so I can't report on if the misfire gone or not. I did replace the spark plug just because its a five dollar part. No joy there.

David

Old 02-09-2011, 01:48 PM
1st Gear Member

David R, are you on a S or a SF?

Old 02-09-2011, 03:19 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by bweekley
David R, are you on a S or a SF?
SF 351 yadda yadda.......

David

Old 02-09-2011, 11:30 PM
1st Gear Member

Sorry, I did not have time to do another testing yesterday... But I will take it off tonight and will bring it for complete test at dealership (they have a machine that can test under load also) tomorrow...

Has anyone that have the same problem replaced the coil?

Old 02-10-2011, 01:41 AM
1st Gear Member

Here are the results from testing the coil...
I got different readings when the coil was right out of the bike after driving 20miles (I would guess hot) and after the coil was sitting on the table for 30min (I would guess cold).

According to the manual:
Primary windings (PW): 0.17 ~ 0.23 Ohm @ 20C
Secondary windings (SW): 5.0 ~ 7.6 KOhm @ 20C

Here are my readings:
PW Hot = 0 Ohm
SW Hot = 10 KOhm

PW Cold = 500 Ohm
SW Cold = 13 KOhm

I will take it tomorrow to be tested throughly... I hope I will end up with a new one out the door (if they have one in stock) if they find it defective.

Some pics of the testing with the coil cold (No pics for when it's hot sorry):

Old 02-10-2011, 07:11 PM
1st Gear Member
Default Coil is GOOD

Just got back from the dealership and the coil is working fine...

What's the next investigation? Does anyone have a CDI I could try out to eliminate from the problem?

I am out of idea right now... Taking it tomorrow as-is on a Dyno and maybe it will show on the graphs...

It is extremely frustrating... I got the bike brand new to avoid this kind of problem...

Old 02-10-2011, 08:07 PM
1st Gear Member

If you bought it new with warrenty, make them find the problem. When you find out, let me know.

Waiting for good weather to try out the new carb and see if that cures it. Could be weeks or even a month or so.

David

Old 02-10-2011, 08:44 PM
1st Gear Member

In theory it is a great idea... Unfortunately, the last time they looked at the bike, they ended up doing nothing and telling me that all stock bikes are doing it...

I was more under the impression that I will need to investigate myself if I want things done correctly...

I will try again at another Kawi dealership in the area and see if THEY can find the problem...

Let me know on your side so I can eliminate the carb (or not) from the problem! :-)

Old 02-10-2011, 10:36 PM
1st Gear Member

flateric, keep us posted I was hoping the coil would be the trick..... It's got to be something dumb, why are the 250S models not doing it?

Old 02-11-2011, 12:08 AM
1st Gear Member
Wink

Originally Posted by flateric
In theory it is a great idea... Unfortunately, the last time they looked at the bike, they ended up doing nothing and telling me that all stock bikes are doing it...

I was more under the impression that I will need to investigate myself if I want things done correctly...

I will try again at another Kawi dealership in the area and see if THEY can find the problem...

Let me know on your side so I can eliminate the carb (or not) from the problem! :-)
"TADT" They all do that. Standard answer #7

If I remember right, I lowered the needle one notch (leaner). It made it worse.

David

Quick Reply: 09 KLX250SF - Aftermarket Coil