09 KLX250s preformance stats after break in

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2011, 05:44 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by bttran2
Thank you for the insight craig. That seems to be the only problem I have for this bike and since the DJ kit does accommodate for future performance upgrades (exhaust), tinkering with just the needle and spring is a relief. By the way, what performance do you get out of the bike by drilling the starter jet? And one more question, forgive me, what kind of modification would you suggest for my bike? Riding style would be mostly highways and passing vehicles and also this summer I would be riding to CO.

Thanks in advance!
When I first got my bike I was very disappointed with how hard it was to get started. I since have found that opening the throttle just a hair gets the bike to start in 1 or 2 turns. I will drill out the starter jet the next time I have the carb off the bike, but since I found this work around, it is not a priroty item for me. If your not having hard starting problems, there is no need to do the mod.
Since you are riding at highway speeds alot, you may want to get a 15T front sprocket. To power the higher gearing get a KLX200 snorkle and Dynojet kit.
Craig

Old 05-10-2011, 06:26 PM
1st Gear Member

Thank you for the insight craig. That seems to be the only problem I have for this bike and since the DJ kit does accommodate for future performance upgrades (exhaust), tinkering with just the needle and spring is a relief. By the way, what performance do you get out of the bike by drilling the starter jet? And one more question, forgive me, what kind of modification would you suggest for my bike? Riding style would be mostly highways and passing vehicles and also this summer I would be riding to CO.

Thanks in advance!
351 Big bore if you are doing highway riding and possibly a better seat.

When I first got my SF, passing a car on a highway was an adventure. After the 351 it was plain fun!

David

Old 05-12-2011, 05:52 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by David R
351 Big bore if you are doing highway riding and possibly a better seat.

When I first got my SF, passing a car on a highway was an adventure. After the 351 it was plain fun!

David
Yikes, I do valve clearance adjustment but never done anything like that before.

Old 05-15-2011, 07:34 AM
1st Gear Member

Aww man, just installed my Dynojet setup: 3 clip on needle and 124 main jet, and it is still surging around 3/4? throttle. I went ahead and did the stage 2, pulled the snorkel and adjusted the Air/fuel screw to 3 turns out, per DJ instruction. Everything is stock. Thanks in advance for the help!

Old 05-15-2011, 11:08 PM
1st Gear Member

Aww man, just installed my Dynojet setup: 3 clip on needle and 124 main jet, and it is still surging around 3/4? throttle. I went ahead and did the stage 2, pulled the snorkel and adjusted the Air/fuel screw to 3 turns out, per DJ instruction. Everything is stock. Thanks in advance for the help!
You could try the 128 and/or move the clip to 4th notch.
Before doing that, tape off about 1/8 of the airbox opening, try it out, take the duct tape with you, don't put the bolts back in the seat. keep taping off another 1/8 until the surge goes away or gets worse. this will let you know if you are too lean or rich.
Craig