09 KLX250S mods

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2008, 11:00 PM
1st Gear Member
1st Gear Member
Default RE: 09 KLX250S mods

With the Acerbis you don't need to worry about the shrouds... Just toss em.
If the mounting holes will line up then it's no problem.

Old 06-05-2008, 01:01 AM
1st Gear Member

I'm pretty sure you can get the Acerbis to fit. The bike frame has not changed and you don't neet to worry about theshrouds because the wings on the Acerbistake their place. What needs to be investigated is howyou secure the front of the seat on the 09. Not an insurmountable issue, IMHO.

The Acerbis will definitely destroy the nice flowing lines of the 09 though. The clark would probably work as well, but you will have to drum-up some 06/07 shoulds or modify/trim the ones you have. The IMS and KLX300 tanks requireremoval of the cooling fan and trimming of the shouds.

All-in-all, I would say that any of the aftermarket tanks are doable. The IMS would take the least amount of mods, but it's the ugliest, IMO. It's only a matter of time before somebody mounts one of the three tanks their 09.

Old 06-05-2008, 01:24 AM
1st Gear Member

I'd never remove the cooling fan to install one of these tanks. Has anyone had any overheating problems as a result of removing the fan to install one of these tanks? My '07 gets really hot and it makes me nervous.

Mike

Old 06-05-2008, 04:58 AM
Banned
1st Gear Member

I doubt anyone will install one of these tanks on their '09. First off, I haven't seen any of these tanks look right on the '06-'07 KLX. They're always jimmied and just look terrible to me. Especially the acerbis, sorry but to me that is downright awful looking. The '09's and '06/'07 lines are beautiful in the tank/shroud region and messing with that will be a rapage of the bike's appearance. Remember also that the '09's radiators are larger as is the cooling fan. The '09 tank was enlarged a smidge and now holds over 2 gals. If I were an aftermarket tank manufacturer, I'd mold a tank for the old KLX and the new '09 yesterday. They really don't know what they're missing out on as far as revenue from these bikes' owners.
There are a few owners on here who have the tank that mounts the KLX300 shrouds and 250S owners have used them with their shrouds and put the "green tape" on it to hide the gap, but even then it's there if you look close. It's just sad that the aftermarket companies don't recognize this bike more. There's a ton of money for the taking. I bet nobrakes could get one to fit though.(not a sarcastic remark either)

Old 06-05-2008, 05:47 AM
Admin
1st Gear Member

I liked the IMS tank, I thought it looked good, although I did not like cutting the shrouds, and I didn't do a particularly good job on the cut - arts and crafts is not my forte. But that was the cost of longer range and I couldn't really see the shrouds from the riders position, so - out of sight, out of mind. I got around a 180 mile range with that tank. With the stock tank, I was filling up every other day or so when using it for commuting and it was getting old.

Here's a photo the night before its new owner took delivery.

One thing I did do was source a pristine set of shrouds by trading my old 250cc cylinder for them. My plan was to either more carefully re-cut them to clean up the fit - or - use them on the Clarke tank which was still vaporware at that time and if I still owned the bike and I liked the Clarke tank better, I had new shrouds with which to do the swap if I wanted to go that way. As it turned out, I sold it before that happened and the shrouds went to the new owner, but with the smaller capacity of the Clarke I would not have made the switch. That's not to say I wouldn't get the Clarke instead if I hadn't already done the IMS - the 0.8 gallons extra is a respectable increase over the stock 1.9. But I don't think I would swap out the IMS since all the work of conversion was already done unless the Clarke was a perfect fit and at least as much capacity.

Old 06-05-2008, 06:36 AM
Banned
1st Gear Member

that's about as good as it gets for aftermarket right there. not bad but still nothing I'd do but then again I don't ride as much as some. at least the gap isn't there on the IMS or NB hid it or something.

Old 06-05-2008, 04:16 PM

That's a bummer about the tank situation. The gas stations are few and far between around here. Im getting around 110m per tank and that limits my adventure riding in this wide open area. I wounder if i could get someone to fab a tank (metal) that would give me one more gallon and still look good and fit using the oem shrouds?
Now on the big bore mod.....if i go with the 300 kit is that oem from Kawasaki like sleeve, piston and carb?

Hey Kawi dude...whats up with the rug on your seat? The hunters up here would take a shot at you, hehe joke!

Thanks for all info!

WD

Old 06-05-2008, 04:50 PM
Banned
1st Gear Member

oem from kawi is cylinder, piston, rings- just like a factory if you install it correctly. big-bore is either a 300 cylinder bored out to 331cc or a sleeved 250 cylinder into 340 or I think 331 as well. The trade-off is that if you use your oem 250 cylinder you have the downtime whereas if you can find a used 300 cylinder (or buy a new one)you can just send it to kustomkraft.com and they can bore it and replate it with nikasil and you have no down time. There are varying opinions on which way is best and more durable.

Old 06-05-2008, 05:27 PM

09KLXowner,
That the best info so far for a guy like me who is a noob with this mod stuff. Hey man.....if i go with a new oem 300 do i rejet the 250 carb or buy the 300 carb? Yeah man im 6' 225# its nice to be able to flat foot this bike but i need more HP to get my **** moving a bit faster. My wife was not to hip with me buying a two wheeler thus she wanted me to get something small i.e. 2009 klx250s. I am planning to drop down to 200# but that is still big for this bike i think.
Until now i would ride my Rhino or max 6x6 up here in the forest but the USFS is putting up pipe corral fence on the trails that block UTV's and jeeps but you can get a bike or a horse through...so im two wheeling.

Thanks again!

WD

Old 02-27-2012, 04:50 PM
1st Gear Member

The IMS 3.2 gal tank for the 2009-2012 KLX250S is available. It will fit the KLX250SM as well. Call (951) 653-7720. Ask for Steve. He will give you details and price. Fits great and goes on easily.
My "Cow Trailing" range is now over 175 miles. So Cal Desert-X Country. 14T-44T gearing.
2009 KLX250S. DynoJet, FMF "Q", 2002 KX250 Forks and Shock.,Talon Hubs, Excell Rims.

Quick Reply: 09 KLX250S mods