09 KLX250S handguards

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2008, 08:09 PM
1st Gear Member
Default RE: 09 KLX250S handguards

ORIGINAL: cliffsta

My Tusk D-Flex guards will be here Thursday and we're gonna work on making them fit that night. I'll be sure and start a thread with pics of how we made them fit.
I'm thinking you'll like them. Here's what they look like installed

Name:  July042008001.jpg
Views: 641
Size:  302.4 KB

Will try to take some detailed shots this afternoon that shows how they fit. I was originally going to tap the slug in the bar but that idea nixed itself after I broke the tap off in the slug. Doh! Operator error for sure. Ended up drilling out the three spot welds that hold each slug in place and just pulling them out, which is how D-Flex recommends it anyway. On my '07 the slug on the clutch side was a little harder to remove because of some extra paint that had puddled around the slug - Kawi probably dips the bars after the slugs are welded in and the clutch side must hang down so a little extra paint accumulates there.

The directions you'll get from D-Flex are very simple and are all you really need. Couple of things for you to remember though. Make sure you attach the plastic covers before mounting the brackets or you'll have take them back off. (Don't ask me how I know this LOL). Start all of the bolts/screws and tighten them down gradually as they suggest. Use a little baby powder on the rubber sleeve that goes into the handlebars and make sure to start the endnut and partially cover with the sleeve, that will keep the endnut from dropping offinto your handlebars. Getting the long end bolt started is probably that hardest part of the install and one of the reasons for just starting the bolts/screws. Loctite is a good thing....

You may have to fiddle a bit with your controls to get everything to fit to your satisfaction but just be patient. Oh, and double check to make sure that all is fastened up. When you're done those guards should be rock solid. Like I said, will take some more pix soonest.

Old 07-04-2008, 08:22 PM

Nice set up Khashayar!

Old 07-04-2008, 08:32 PM
1st Gear Member

These are a little better..

May have to move my levers in just a scosh so they don't make contact with the bar. Easy to do....

Old 07-05-2008, 04:59 AM
1st Gear Member

Dang that green matches really well! I was worreid the green wouldn't mathc worth a crap so I got the black.

We already put mine on, we just tapped holes in the barweights. We'll take pictures in the morning and I was planning on doing a write-up of sorts for those who were wondering.

Oh and they work really well... I laid my bike over tonight and put a nice big scuff on the lefthand side. The guards held their own though!

Old 07-08-2008, 06:16 PM

I’ve still been doing research on hand guards for the 2009 KLX 250s but not having much luck. It seems modifications or part swapping needs to be done to make them fit.

Coast Mountain Guy from KF says “I had the dealer fit a pair of Cycras on for me. Apparently they went on with minimal effort. They swapped out the bar clamps, though, because the guardscame in a set that included clamps for "oversized" aftermarket bars.“

Cliffsta from KF says about his Tusk D-Flex handguards. “they fit very well, actually. One thing to note that is kinda important! My set came with a straight piece of metal for the bracket for the inside of the bar, which wouldn't work at all... but my dad's came with a pivoting bracket (he had to buy the big bar kit for his when he got his last year, so he had leftover parts). So using that pivoting bracket it bolted right up.â€

The KF moderator “deej†says that Acerbis Pro rally guards will fit. Does anybody have these on a 2009?

Old 07-08-2008, 09:08 PM
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: dbernett

Cliffsta from KF says about his Tusk D-Flex handguards. “they fit very well, actually. One thing to note that is kinda important! My set came with a straight piece of metal for the bracket for the inside of the bar, which wouldn't work at all... but my dad's came with a pivoting bracket (he had to buy the big bar kit for his when he got his last year, so he had leftover parts). So using that pivoting bracket it bolted right up.â€
DB,

I don't doubt what Cliffsta told you but would guess that someone goofed when sending his order out. I have installed two sets of the D-Flex guards in the last month - one on my 07 KLX and another on a friend's TW200. Both came with the pivot mounts for the inner bar and installed fine.

Even the picture from Rocky Mtn ATV shows the stock pivot mounts:

http://www.rockymountainatv.com/view...pe#OtherImages

Good luck in your search.

Old 07-09-2008, 01:54 PM
1st Gear Member

Xerxes: I kinda think someone goofed, as well. The brackets I used were from my dad's D-Flex guards he bought for his DRZ-400... he had to order the separate big-bar adapter kit, which left the original brackets unused... so we just used his with the slotted bracket.

However, you can make the handguards fit if you end up with the straight bracket, you'd just have to do some more tweaking.

I'll post my write-up tonight, sorry it has taken so long. 12-hour work days for two weeks straight without an off day kinda blows