09 KLX250S Dayligh Pics & FMF Video

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2009, 03:01 PM
1st Gear Member

Strange the FI have not come to the US yet, isn't the CO2 emission laws quite hard in the US? There is also a catalytic converter on my bike which I'm sure reduce the hp quite much...

Old 07-01-2009, 03:03 PM
1st Gear Member

Not for bikes it's not...are pretty hard on cars but not bikes yet...

Old 07-01-2009, 03:08 PM
1st Gear Member

Thanks for the link man,

I have already changed my ECU so that problem is solved... I can now get the rpm close up to 9500, but it still seams like it not breath as it should, I'm sure it is the exhaust that blocks....

Old 07-01-2009, 03:09 PM
1st Gear Member

lucky for you my friend, it will increase the weight with at least 5-6 pounds....

Old 07-01-2009, 03:12 PM
1st Gear Member

what about the style on my bike (supermotard look), is that one on sale in US?

Old 07-01-2009, 03:17 PM
1st Gear Member

Yeah we have motard's here in the US...Some factory and some that people make that way...Kawai just hasn't released there EFI to the US market yet...

Old 07-01-2009, 03:33 PM
1st Gear Member

I hope they will release the D-Tracker-X in the US soon so you can have a test ride, it is well balanced with the 17" wheels and is very smooth to drive... Also the large front brake disc is nice to have when you need to make a quick stop! If I understand it right it is not so much that separate the KLX with carb from D-Tracker-X except the EFI, wheels, mirrors and the front brake disc..

Old 07-01-2009, 07:44 PM
1st Gear Member

Welcome Petter (hope I spelled that right!) - where in LOS are you located?

The O2 sensor is not a big issue to deal with on the Thai spec bike. My local shop in Udorn Thani moved it for me when I had them install my 2BR M7. There are two FI KLX's in Thailand with 2BR on them that I know of. Just keep in mind that you may get hit up for extra tea money with an after market exhaust that the BIB determine is too loud. The 2BR is really nice, sounds like a real thumper now and does a fair job of getting traffic to move over too! Here's a short of my 2BR, WestOz has a good clip up on you tube.

http://www.vimeo.com/4440568

I am yet to see the "new" ECU and am not in a hurry to swap it since I do not have the stalling problem that the D-Trackers initially reported. I also do not have the rev limiter anymore either after removing my airbox lid. With it re-installed my rev limiter is still history and I have no problem reaching the 10.5k mark. My seat-o-pants meter says my KLX has more testosterone in it now. I also have not noticed any ill-effects from removing the airbox. You could always swap the snorkel out with one from a KDX200 which has more flow.

Eric

Old 07-02-2009, 02:57 AM
1st Gear Member

Hi Eric,
I'm located in Pattaya and your info is really interesting stuff.

So, the O2 sensor problem can be solved quite easy as I understand it, and that is great news! Now I just need to find a after market exhaust that I like and can have modified.
Sorry if I'm not understand everything, but what do BIB stand for?

Regard the airbox, here I have heard so many different things, some people say that "what ever you do, do not open the airbox" and other say "it needs more air, just take the lid away" I start to be little bit confused here and the only thing I'm worried about if I take the lid away is that it want get enough fuel instead of air and what can happen then? You write that you get it up to the 10.5k mark just with removing the lid, thats sounds crazy good. I will try to remove my lid as well and see what happens!

When Kawasaki called me in to change my ECU they told me that it had a stalling problem which you mention and which I only had two times when the bike was extremely hot. After they changed the ECU I took of and I could immediately feel that something was different, it was more like the bike had more energy (not hp's) and it easily reach 9.500 rpm and 130 kph....
I vent back and asked the guys if the installed a unrestricted ECU in my bike, but the said NO and had the look on their faces as they did not know what a unrestricted ECU is.... So what do I have and how would I see the difference?

I will today try to remove the lid and for sure get back and let you know what came out of it....

The sound on the video was quite OK and it do sounds MUCH better!!!!!

Petter

Old 07-02-2009, 09:42 AM
1st Gear Member

Hi petter,

BIB = Boys in Brown. the local police.

I have "heard" several things about the "new" ecu, some report gains orther report same same performance. That is why I am in no rush to swap mine, plus I have not had any issues with mine so why bother.

I also heard various stories with regards to the airbox. I did not notice any negative side effects from this. Some will say it'll lean out but I think the KLX sounds better and seems to pull a lot better too without it. I am no eggspert so I rely on my seat-o-pants meter, I wish a dyno was handy! Only after this did I notice my rev- restriction was gone. The bike handled the new 2BR exhaust with no issues so it seems the ecu does have some self adjustability internally. All I need to do was relocate my O2 sensor to the new "S-pipe" that comes with the 2BR. I had heard of clearance issues with the airbox on the one bike in Chang Mai but I did not have that problem and have plenty of clearance. My shop in Udorn Thani is pretty good, great owner and staff. When they heard I had a 2BR to put on they wanted to do it immediately, they were more excited than I was.

I have a couple of other clips I should add, they are not the best, i had my audio setup mis-configured but it shows 10k rpm.

Let me know how it goes for you!

Eric

Quick Reply: 09 KLX250S Dayligh Pics & FMF Video