09 KLX w/ 09 Full Muzzy and 09 Dynojet no power!

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2008, 03:37 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by je2000
The instructions from the kit mention using a K&N filter specifically, which has more air flow than the TwinAir. In addition to suggesting the K&N they say either stage can be used with an aftermarket exhaust. So I'm not sure where you're getting that idea from that it is not designed for anything but a stock filter and exhaust. Please no 300 kit vs 250 kit, we've done that already.

After checking the top of the carb to make sure everything is seated properly per the Dynojet instructions I'll give Dynojet and Muzzy a call. It's highly possible something just isn't installed correctly.
It's sound advice in good faith.
You are in a very small minority here in that you're trying to jet your bike with the needle from the 09 kit. Most people here that are running a DJ set up are using the 300 kit needle. As you can see from the pictures it has quite a different taper than the 09 needle. In fact it is completely different. Also of note is the height at which the clip seats start and finish.
My real point is I have been down this road with the needle I'm running (N1RX, unique it seems to Australian KLX models.) Despite much welcomed sound advice it proved to be a real trial and error process over approximately 500 km. My bike is now jetted 95% true and runs sweet pushing the needle past 145 kmh (90 mph) on occasion.
All I can really add is be methodical in the work you do on the bike.

Old 11-11-2008, 04:53 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Nobrakes
You could very well be right. I'm just thinking the diaphragm is an easy thing to check and can also result in similar behavior. I'm not saying I'm sure it is the diaphragm, just a good place to start, IMO. I would at least rule it out first.
Definately, he could of torn it when handling it or poked a hole in it.

To back up WestOZ. Hes getting his information from experience as the rest of us are. Don't follow those instructions to dead T. They will be the first to tell you that from the companies themselves. To take a page from Captain Barbosa's handbook....they are more like guidelines.

Also to comment on previous people getting confused as to what you had, including myself. Its because you kinda mixed in your specs with the story instead of posting them all in a row. Then you went on to ask questions that seemed to contradict what you stated before. Sure if you payed super close attention you would probably not get confused, but if you do what I did and just read through it real quick normally, it kinda throws ya for a loop.

Its not gonna hurt to drop your needle another clip. Like I also suggested, put the lid back on with no snorkel and see what that does. Unless you already did that. I assumed you had the snorkel in the whole time. If thats the case I apologize for missing that.

Old 11-11-2008, 04:58 AM
Banned
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by WestOzKLX
This may be your problem. Fitting the full Muzzy and Twin Air filter will increase the airflow through the engine considerably. The 09 DJ needle, I believe, isn't designed with these upgrades in mind (more just pep up the stock set up,) the KLX300 DJ kit is. Check the different taper on the needles. I suspect as others do, you are running lean. If you still have the DJ #128 main jet in place I would raise the needle at least another position, even two. (lower the clip.)

What does your needle look like. Left or right?

LOL, I've said this from the beginning of the '09 kit and everyone just flamed me for it claiming that since I didn't have the new '09 kit, I was just bashing it. I have always said that the '09 kit is a more tame kit whereas the 300 kit is geared for more performance and this picture comparison of the two needles is proof. The taper of the needle tells the tale.
The DJ website verifies this. The 300 kit makes more power on the 300 vs the '09 kit's power increases on the 250S. If you want classic advice that works and proven effects of a jet kit, buy the 300 kit or the N1TC needle and Keihin jets. The '09 DJ kit is unproven; and proven now by the side-by-side picture of the two needles, to be less of a hardcore kit.

Jasonfmx- you saying it's "lean" is something that could be said about anyone's problem with the carb on this bike. The friggin bike is lean from the factory. You act as if you're a genius and no one else could figure out his problem. That's part of the problem yes, but my money is on diaphragm seating/slide hole size/needle position being the problem. Yes, all those could be under the category of "lean", but like I said, it's easy to just say "it's lean". Well, what's the problem and how you going to fix it is the real question.

Old 11-11-2008, 05:11 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by 09KLXowner
Jasonfmx- you saying it's "lean" is something that could be said about anyone's problem with the carb on this bike. The friggin bike is lean from the factory. You act as if you're a genius and no one else could figure out his problem. That's part of the problem yes, but my money is on diaphragm seating/slide hole size/needle position being the problem. Yes, all those could be under the category of "lean", but like I said, it's easy to just say "it's lean". Well, what's the problem and how you going to fix it is the real question.
I told you how to fix it, you jet up. That dosen't take a genius. Ensuring proper seating and general overall care of your parts is a given. Its like saying "did you tighten your clamps down enough?" , "did you put your tools away when you were done?" , "did you wash up for supper?" You have to draw a line where you start assuming or else everything must be questioned. I would just think that its a given that he properly put diaphram back in the groove before putting the cap back on. And that he would of checked the rubber to make sure of no tears or pieces of dirt sticking to it. I mean, I do all of that stuff.

I'm not raggin on the guy, hes obviously new to this. But since your harping on me for an explanation there it is.

And since you brought it up to OZ there. No one ever said your wrong all of the time. Its just you have such a serious know it all attitude about everything that even when your wrong you still think your right and your the only one that can't understand that. Look how much you get banned, its like a regular thing with you. Doesn't that say anything to you? You may have said that the 250 kit was the lesser of the two kits but most people probably don't even read your posts because they know your just spewing off 9/10ths of the time so why even bother. And thats considering everyone doesn't already have your user name on ignore.

We're all trying to sincerely help the guy out. Just in different ways, hopefully one if not all of our solutions will be the right one. But its better than having no solutions like you usually do. You just like to bitch at people and berate them.

Old 11-11-2008, 05:19 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by WestOzKLX
It's sound advice in good faith.
You are in a very small minority here in that you're trying to jet your bike with the needle from the 09 kit. Most people here that are running a DJ set up are using the 300 kit needle. As you can see from the pictures it has quite a different taper than the 09 needle. In fact it is completely different. Also of note is the height at which the clip seats start and finish.
My real point is I have been down this road with the needle I'm running (N1RX, unique it seems to Australian KLX models.) Despite much welcomed sound advice it proved to be a real trial and error process over approximately 500 km. My bike is now jetted 95% true and runs sweet pushing the needle past 145 kmh (90 mph) on occasion.
All I can really add is be methodical in the work you do on the bike.
Thanks man...will take it slow. Same way to overclock a PC, slow and write down your settings so you don't forget.

Old 11-11-2008, 05:22 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by 09KLXowner
LOL, I've said this from the beginning of the '09 kit and everyone just flamed me for it claiming that since I didn't have the new '09 kit, I was just bashing it. I have always said that the '09 kit is a more tame kit whereas the 300 kit is geared for more performance and this picture comparison of the two needles is proof. The taper of the needle tells the tale.
The DJ website verifies this. The 300 kit makes more power on the 300 vs the '09 kit's power increases on the 250S. If you want classic advice that works and proven effects of a jet kit, buy the 300 kit or the N1TC needle and Keihin jets. The '09 DJ kit is unproven; and proven now by the side-by-side picture of the two needles, to be less of a hardcore kit.
Would I be OK if I stuck with the dynojet main and just picked up a N1TC needle?

Just right now the power is way below stock so something is definitely not right with the installation.

Old 11-11-2008, 06:13 AM
1st Gear Member

I don't think the shape of your needle is your biggest problem right now as to what clip setting it on is. Thats the least of your worries. Or the possibilty of you have a hole in your diaphram or that putting the stock spring back in and just drilling the slide. Those all seem to be higher on the list and more viable solutions, (IMO)

My opinion is less time talking, more time doing. It wont hurt to go out there and pop the cap off the carb and look at it to see if its seated or has holes in it. If so theres your problem, If not, take the needle out and drop the needle 1 notch.

And just IMO, Id bump up that main a size or two, and play with the pilot. I would say it needs 3 turns out if not a bigger size. You got some real flow going there. Aftermarket filter, lid off, full exhaust. thats ALOT over stock. The stock may work, don't get me wrong. But most people end up going to a 38 or a 40 pilot.

Old 11-11-2008, 07:46 AM
1st Gear Member

One thing at a time Je. Sure, take the lid off and inspect the diaphragm but before you finish up, put the needle clip on the lowest setting on the needle (richest.) It's good to start rich. More gas = more power. This motor likes a lot of gas. BTW the 09 needle only has 5 slots and the 300 needle has 6.

Old 11-11-2008, 07:53 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by je2000
Thanks man...will take it slow. Same way to overclock a PC, slow and write down your settings so you don't forget.
Use a water cooler if you overclock your carb or you might melt a hole in the diaphram.

Old 11-11-2008, 08:02 AM
1st Gear Member

Now that's some "cool" s@#t right there.

Quick Reply: 09 KLX w/ 09 Full Muzzy and 09 Dynojet no power!