09 KLX w/ 09 Full Muzzy and 09 Dynojet no power!

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2008, 05:05 PM
1st Gear Member

I'm thinking it says the U.S. model makes 15 horsepower and 12 ft/lbs torque, and the wonder down under makes 23 hp / 15 ft/lbs torque. Which is in line with what guys in Australia seem to say about their bikes making more power stock.

Old 11-29-2008, 08:56 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by JasonFMX
I can't even understand how anyone whos been a member for this forum and reads it regularly could even make such a statement. For all of the mods out there you can double the HP if wanted, and you say you'll only recieve a tad more power out of it.
This post is about no power afterwards.....Cant someone agree..Geeze...

No hard feelins....I never get ticked with internet disagreements...Opinions and thoughts..

Ive had 13t...Too often I needed the 14t back..0hp gain

Jet Kit...Mileage went from 68-48mpg...or 64 miles before reserve.

Exhaust...Too loud even with quiet core...Gets old quick

Snorkle removed..Sucks too much cold air during the cold months..

Short fender....nasty 4 road spray but great for anti wobble...

For what its worth...Too much time and effort for such a little improvement...What 4hp if that more like 2.5....If anyone wanted to get 35 hp out of these bikes they should have bought a bigger bike.....Too many peeps think they will have a rocket ship if they do the normal forum mods.....Then they think a big bore will do the rest...Then a new cam...Then a bigger carb....

All the mods Ive done I still miss the original feel with the gas mileage....This is where someone tells me I should have bought a moped....lol

Rocco

Old 11-29-2008, 09:13 PM
1st Gear Member

No offense but if your gas mileage fell that bad and you didn't notice an improvement, you jetted it far too rich. If it fell that far as a combo between the 13T and the jetting and the exhaust, I'd still say you either jetted it wrong or had some other problem. As for the sprocket, that's just a personal call not a flaw of the bike. Its a dual sport, jack of all trades and master of none. Stock is great for the road, sucks in the wood. Change them up and it'll suck for the road but work wonders in the woods. Exhaust is again a personal choice not a flaw of the bike. If you want more power you gotta have a louder pipe. Its all a game of give and take.

As for the endless nature of mods, that's just where you personally draw the line. For me, I think exhaust will be the most I do to it, at least until its old and in need of a tear-down. You are right on your next to last statement. Somebody lookin' for gobs of power bought the wrong bike, but with basic mods and tweaks this bike can be made to excel in one field or the other. Or you can leave it stock and have a bike that can do most anything with mediocracy. And everything you listed off that you don't like, you can quite easily remove and make it stock again.

Old 11-29-2008, 10:45 PM
1st Gear Member

Mine fell that much, but I know something is up with my jetting still.

Old 11-30-2008, 06:00 AM
Banned
1st Gear Member

I can't even understand how anyone whos been a member for this forum and reads it regularly could even make such a statement. For all of the mods out there you can double the HP if wanted, and you say you'll only recieve a tad more power out of it.
double? I can't believe someone would state that after reading regularly here. Check the dyno #'s- 28 is about tops for all the mods including cams, big-bore, port/polish, etc. Double would mean around 38 or so horsepower. That ain't happening on this bike, don't care what you do to it. That's three more oem rwhp than a DRZ makes, and a stock DRZ will kill this bike- big-bore, cam, etc. or not. Pushing this bike to 400cc would not be an option. The chassis for one could not sustain it.

Old 11-30-2008, 06:05 AM
Banned
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by cliffsta
I'm thinking it says the U.S. model makes 15 horsepower and 12 ft/lbs torque, and the wonder down under makes 23 hp / 15 ft/lbs torque. Which is in line with what guys in Australia seem to say about their bikes making more power stock.
they don't have the emission crap and they get the 300R airbox.

Old 11-30-2008, 06:54 AM
1st Gear Member

Rocco and Iowa

Wrong & Wrong.

That's all I'm saying on the matter. I'm not arguing it. I'm not going to go to all the bother of listing things and digging things up for references and typing some big explanation just to get some kinda or irrelevant or illogical retort. Your going to believe what you want anyway. I've learned my lesson on here as far as that goes. All I got to say Iowa is #1. Learn simple arithmetic. Rounding up even,.... at the MOST, stock has 18, thats 36, not 38. Which, double in reality would be less than that. Probably 35. Anyway.... #2, Its not an exact number anyway. If you got 32HP or something like that, thats close enough....geez.

Chasis wouldn't sustain a 400cc engine. That's awesome. Thanks, I needed a good laugh today. Thats the funniest thing I heard in a month.

Last edited by JasonFMX; 11-30-2008 at 07:07 AM.
Old 11-30-2008, 07:03 AM
1st Gear Member

One quick reference, just because I knew exactly where it was, it wasn't too much trouble

The old KLX250D models 1-4 had 23.5 KW (32PS) @8500 r/min (rpm) and that was stock with the old 32mm carb even! Don't even tell me you can't bust up over in the 30's with this machine with all the things I've read about on here, and I do mean ALL the things, far more than you listed. Like, even modified ignitions and so forth.

Old 11-30-2008, 07:06 AM
1st Gear Member

There is an article in a dirt bike mag where they rebiuld a rmz250, 34+ hp?

Iowaguy can you post the link to the dyno #s for the 28 hp klx250s w/ all the modifications.

I seen a shootout w/ a xt250 yamaha, crf230 honda and a klx250s somewhere, they claim on the dyno a 18.66 hp output for the klx... of course the klx won the shootout.

No where to be found is the hp of a 08 or 09 wr250r yamaha.

Can anyone expect a 5 hp increase if they get the 300 airbox and australian spec jetting w/ no smog equipment? Isn't the aussie slide drilled differently also?

Just wondering

Old 11-30-2008, 09:46 AM
Banned
1st Gear Member

One quick reference, just because I knew exactly where it was, it wasn't too much trouble

The old KLX250D models 1-4 had 23.5 KW (32PS) @8500 r/min (rpm) and that was stock with the old 32mm carb even! Don't even tell me you can't bust up over in the 30's with this machine with all the things I've read about on here, and I do mean ALL the things, far more than you listed. Like, even modified ignitions and so forth.
I won't argue with you, the veterans of this forum like myself (April 2006) know that the top dyno report was 28 horsepower with cams, polishing, headwork, big-bore 340 I believe, ignition, etc.
You are simply misinformed about this. If you can provide proof that the KLX can be taken up over 30 rwhp or even as you claim, DOUBLE of stock, I'd love to see it. I don't even think stroker kits have hit 38 horsepower which would be just below double of the 19.8 stock reported rwhp of the KLX.
Again, I'd love to see any proof of a KLX hitting the 30's for rwhp or anyone claiming that they have one dynoed that high. Maybe Nobrakes can chime in here as his KLX was a close second to the cammed KLX. His hit around 26 I think with an FCR and 331 big-bore.
The forks, rear shock and rear frame wouldn't sustain that much power and torque, and would eventually wear out or break.

Quick Reply: 09 KLX w/ 09 Full Muzzy and 09 Dynojet no power!