09 KLX w/ 09 Full Muzzy and 09 Dynojet no power!

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2008, 04:47 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by redpillar
The two big washers that came with your exhaust pipe are for when you run your bike without the quiet core you install one washer to take up the space, and when you run without the spark arrestor you install the other one to take up the space.
There is no gasket on the exhaust outlet of the barrel that I saw. You mentioned that your air box is getting hot?
OK cool. Both quiet core and spark arrestor came pre-installed. They spacers live in the tool box now.

The back right bottom corner of the airbox is touching the pipe, and is slowly melting away. I'm kind of just letting it. It may just round off the corner and keep it sealed. My only real worry with a hole there would be for water crossings. Though that's a pretty deep water crossing.

Last edited by je2000; 11-12-2008 at 10:09 PM.
Old 11-12-2008, 07:21 PM
Banned
1st Gear Member

my KLX300R Muzzy hasn't melted anything and is not close to melting anything either. perhaps Muzzy should have left the 300R's bend alone. I noticed when I installed mine that the system can be tweaked and turned a bit here and there. Maybe if you loose all the bolts up you could turn the system just enough to get the heat away from your airbox. Maybe that's the price you pay for not having to worry about your pegs rubbing the pipe and requiring some grinding on them. I know what I'd choose- a mildly ground down peg that isn't noticeable is a lot better choice than a ruined airbox. But look at it this way- more air for your engine.

Old 11-12-2008, 10:09 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by 09KLXowner
my KLX300R Muzzy hasn't melted anything and is not close to melting anything either. perhaps Muzzy should have left the 300R's bend alone. I noticed when I installed mine that the system can be tweaked and turned a bit here and there. Maybe if you loose all the bolts up you could turn the system just enough to get the heat away from your airbox. Maybe that's the price you pay for not having to worry about your pegs rubbing the pipe and requiring some grinding on them. I know what I'd choose- a mildly ground down peg that isn't noticeable is a lot better choice than a ruined airbox. But look at it this way- more air for your engine.
Eh..I'm probably just going to let it melt. It's either round off the corner on the airbox or the passenger peg. I could care less either way. The airbox is nowhere near being ruined. It's really minimal. I'll have to get a photo up to demonstrate.

Old 11-12-2008, 11:08 PM
1st Gear Member

Just remove the pegs. It's that simple. 2 up is no fun in the dirt anyway!

Old 11-12-2008, 11:33 PM
1st Gear Member

Two up is not much fun. When I installed mine I noticed that you could loosen off the bolts and swivel the pipe a bit. The pipe clears the footpeg be a milimeter or less, and I had to play with it to get it to that point. but if you want leave it, have at her!!

Old 11-13-2008, 12:12 AM
1st Gear Member

Waaait a minute... if I put the Muzzys pipe on, I can't give hot, nubile college chicks rides around campus? Bah! That's half the fun of a motorcycle! No pipe for me!

J/K. Maybe.

Old 11-13-2008, 01:47 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by cliffsta
Waaait a minute... if I put the Muzzys pipe on, I can't give hot, nubile college chicks rides around campus? Bah! That's half the fun of a motorcycle! No pipe for me!

J/K. Maybe.
Give them a ride, but you don't need your bike for that kind of action. LOL

Old 11-13-2008, 03:02 AM
1st Gear Member

Definately the advantage of a sedan vs. a coupe

Old 11-28-2008, 01:40 AM

Hello KLXer's,
I'm new here but have been reading posts about everything. My 09 is stock at the moment. What I'm looking for is a stock 09 muffler. It seems everyone is getting an after market exhaust but what I'd like to do is dissect a stock one, remove the cat and see how to make it flow better. Then weld it back together and see what happens. Any one got one for sale, cheap?
Bob

Old 11-28-2008, 01:47 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by rydnhy
Hello KLXer's,
I'm new here but have been reading posts about everything. My 09 is stock at the moment. What I'm looking for is a stock 09 muffler. It seems everyone is getting an after market exhaust but what I'd like to do is dissect a stock one, remove the cat and see how to make it flow better. Then weld it back together and see what happens. Any one got one for sale, cheap?
Bob
Most are just going to recommend you purchase a 300 muffler. You can open that up quite a bit and its much easier to accomplish.

I'm reluctant to get rid of my stock muffler until my warranty expires.

Quick Reply: 09 KLX w/ 09 Full Muzzy and 09 Dynojet no power!