09 Kawasaki KLX250S - Day One

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2010, 12:54 AM
1st Gear Member
Default 09 Kawasaki KLX250S - Day One

Bought a brand new leftover 09 Kawasaki KLX250s today, and went for a ride as soon as I got it home. I cant say enough about this bike, its a ton of fun, I am a beginner, and it was still easy to handle and not imtemidating at all, just a blast to ride. I rode about 31 miles, and would have rode at least another 30+ miles..... but I got a damn flat tire!!!! I was pissed. It looked like an industrial stable of some sort, in the front tire. Luckily I didnt loose control and got pulled off the road safely. Cant wait to ride it again!

I really love the bike, I was worried it would be too underpowered, after reading a few comments on that. But Its not really, Could it use more power? Sure, and its easy to get with a few mods, plus I can do a big bore kit later.
I have read that just an intake, exhaust, and rejet does wonders for it, I will do that soon.
I wasnt riding like a mad man, but I never felt like I NEEDED more power. I was zipping around back roads, usually a bit over the speed limit, with ease.
I got it up to about 67 mph, going up a fairly steep highway road, and it held it in 5th gear like it was nothing.

Here is a trip log of the days ride.
http://www.everytrail.com/view_trip.php?trip_id=873011

Old 11-04-2010, 01:03 AM
1st Gear Member

Great first post! Too bad about the flat, glad you got it safely stopped. That everytrail site is really cool. If your a beginner, I'd just ride the bike like it is. As you said, you've got all the power you need right now. No need to overdo anything.
Congrats on the new bike!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Have fun
Dan

Old 11-04-2010, 02:44 AM
1st Gear Member

If you're happy with it now, you'll love it with all the typical mods (see my sig).

Welcome, and congrats on the new bike!

Old 11-04-2010, 02:59 AM
1st Gear Member

At least you got your first flat tire out of the way!

Old 11-04-2010, 03:14 AM
1st Gear Member

bike is poop. Dump it and buy something that costs 3X a much and has a terrible record for reliability. YOU deserve something that can barely charge its own battery let alone power anything besides a headlight.

Or if you don't want to go that route, get something that just arrived from out of the 1970's... again. Air cooled is the new thang yo. I know i'm all up in the club when i roll in rocking the cooling fins and my pant legs are smoking. Thats how they know you are HOT.

Word to yo mother. Gotta keep it real ... homie slice.

Old 11-04-2010, 04:19 AM
1st Gear Member

I had a flat on my first big ride with mine. Seems I should of checked the tire pressure. tore the tube. I a happy camper with mine. Enjoy.

Old 11-04-2010, 05:04 AM
1st Gear Member

Congrats, mate.
The staple was probably from the dealers workshop from a bike carton???!!!!

Old 11-04-2010, 01:12 PM
1st Gear Member

PET PEEVE ALERT

Originally Posted by tom edison
Seems I should of ...
Seems you should have

Old 11-04-2010, 01:54 PM
1st Gear Member

Start out with the free mods as there are a few things you can do without much trouble, the 13 tooth front sprocket is a cheap mod that requires almost no skill and makes the bike a ton better in the tight stuff. Then you can start spending some money as you gain experience.

Old 11-04-2010, 02:55 PM
1st Gear Member

Thanks for the comments guys, I am loving the bike so far, cant wait to get the tire fixed and back to riding.
Yea, plan on doing just the free mods to start, but I still need to read up on that some.
I need to know which mods I should do and when. For example, which mods can I do and not have to reject?
I want to just rejet once, so anything easy/free I can do without rejetting would be great.
Then I figure I will get a pipe, mod the airbox, and rejet.
Is there a good writeup, with pics, for some of these mods?
I keep hearing about drilling out baffles, and drilling slides?

~John

Quick Reply: 09 Kawasaki KLX250S - Day One