09/10 Stock Dunlop D605 tires, Worth Keeping?

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2011, 06:01 PM
1st Gear Member

I've run the Trackmaster II on the KLR and it was fine enough off road, but at 800 miles it was about done. The D606 works nearly as well, not as well, but gets about 1600-1800 miles to reach the same tread wear as the 800 mile TM II. I liked the 606 enough to stick with it on the KLR up until now.

Now, like EMS with both... things are going to change a bit. The KLR will get a less aggressive tire that will be more of a 50/50 tire, or maybe even go like EMS is showing above with a pure street/gravel/dry dirt tire. The KLR will become the over the road, commuter, mountain pass dual sport... and the KLX will go the way of more aggressive tire similar to the D606 I suppose. I will not likely commute the KLX or do sensless around town road riding with it, as the KLR will be better situated for that.

Now I can start to set the KLR up for more adventure riding... saddle bags and all!

Yesterday I rode that KLX 60 miles, my butt still hurts!

Overall I was happy. It can handle 60 MPH all day long with minimum vibes, and I see no reason to fear the road or the highway with it. I think as a compromise bike that can slide back and forth between playing Joe-Dirt-Biker and Joe-Road-Rider.... just like the KLR, this bike is about a perfect blend. It really is the perfect mate for a KLR650, it is to the woods what a KLR is to the road. I'm very happy with my choice.

Old 03-09-2011, 09:03 PM
Da dirty moderator
1st Gear Member

Just wait until you uncork the KLX. You will like it alot. Let me know when you are going out I'll tag along if I'm free.

Old 03-09-2011, 10:34 PM
1st Gear Member

Eric,

The parts are ordered and shipping! I do plan to call upon you to get inside the carb.

I think I wil also be doing the forks on the KLR with springs an a cartridge emmulator, taller windshield, Lexx muffler, and a seat of some kind.

Depends on how finances go.... my wife may cut my throat before I get all the parts ordered.

Old 03-10-2011, 12:54 AM
1st Gear Member

I found the stock tire to be a fine road tire, If you were a 80/20 or 90/10 road/off road kind of guy they would be ok. Once the off road part becomes at all hardcore it's time for a set of tires.

Old 03-10-2011, 12:56 AM
1st Gear Member

Time for tires!

Old 03-10-2011, 11:23 AM
Da dirty moderator
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by larry0071
Overall I was happy. It can handle 60 MPH all day long with minimum vibes, and I see no reason to fear the road or the highway with it. I think as a compromise bike that can slide back and forth between playing Joe-Dirt-Biker and Joe-Road-Rider.... just like the KLR, this bike is about a perfect blend. It really is the perfect mate for a KLR650, it is to the woods what a KLR is to the road. I'm very happy with my choice.
Good to hear your happy with what you bought. I would stay off interstates with the KLX, i did that once from wexford to cranberry on 79.... not doing that again. lol. The KLR and the KLX is perfect. I have gotten good at getting the carb out of the klx, it have done it more times than id like to remember. I have to do it again before we go to CO to rejet it for elevation. You taking the KLX to CO?

Old 03-10-2011, 11:49 AM
1st Gear Member

Yes sir! That is really the only reason I got the KLX... to shut Schmoe up. Honestly, in my opinion.... anywhere Schmoe can get his HusaTurd.... I can get my KLR..... but he likes to cry about how I can't get the KLR around these places, and my son wants a dirt bike to learn to ride.... so all in all this little KLX serves multiple functions.

Old 03-10-2011, 11:52 AM
Da dirty moderator
1st Gear Member

Sweet. I can keep up with the blues and oranges just fine on my little 250... Its more about the rider than the ride.

Old 03-10-2011, 11:23 PM
1st Gear Member

I just changed to a set of Kenda 760's and so far I'm happy they are DOT, not that I really care. I've done a few hill climbs with them and roosted up my whole yard as they throw a good rooster tail in the slop we have here in Indiana now but I haven't got a whole day off road with them yet, on road is ok, but I'm sure rain and asphalt will be an experience.

Old 03-12-2011, 05:11 PM
1st Gear Member

Laid my bike down in traffic circle this afternoon because of the CRAP 100/100 18 dunlop 605's.. too skinny, too slippery for proper street use.. even 606's have more meat on the sides... I have new scratches, broken shifter, bent clutch lever, scrapes on my knees, and almost cracked stator cover thanks to the cheapest tires out there..

Quick Reply: 09/10 Stock Dunlop D605 tires, Worth Keeping?