07 klx fan not working

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2012, 02:10 AM
1st Gear Member
Default 07 klx fan not working

ive had the bike for a few weeks now and at first i figured i just hadnt gotten it hot enough for it to come on. but after 90* weekend of riding trails i know it was more than hot enough but my fan hasnt come on once. just wondering if theres a fuse or something to look for that could had blown or what steps i should take to figure this out.
any help would be greatly appreciated

Old 05-31-2012, 02:16 AM
1st Gear Member

Well... i've only had the fan on my bike come on once and that was when i was letting the bike idle in the driveway for 5+ minutes after my 331 install and was jacking with the mixture screws.

its never come on once while riding.

Old 05-31-2012, 02:25 AM
1st Gear Member

im only concerned because in the next week or so il be taking close to a 200 mile trip which will be about 90% trails and i know theres going to be a lot of stopping and waiting and i just dont wanna be that guy and have the bike overheat. it doesnt help that my stock gauges were kinda busted when i bought the bike so whenever the bike is running and in neutral the temp light comes on. guess its shorting out somewheres..

to save another thread being started, i was looking into buying the trailtech vapor kit for this bike but i wasnt sure if everything would mount up fine. i found a kit on ebay but i just wanted to know if anyone has a kit and if theres anything im going to need to mod/fab up to make it work.

Old 05-31-2012, 02:31 AM
1st Gear Member

Unplug the sensor mounted in the right side radiator. Ground the wire that you just unplugged from the sensor, if the fan comes on, then you verified the relay, the motor, and the fuse are all good, that only leaves the switch.

Have the key on when you ground the wire BTW.

Cooling fan switch turns on the fan at between 201 and 212F according to service manual

Hope that helps

Old 05-31-2012, 02:33 AM
1st Gear Member

temp light comes on in neutral? Does the neutral indicator work?
I know from first hand experience you can remove a bikes dash and change the bulbs, but you HAVE to make sure to put the neutral light back into the neutral socket. I crossed up low fuel and neutral on a streetbike. I knew right away I had done that.

Old 05-31-2012, 02:39 AM
1st Gear Member

yea the neutral light does work, he said he dumped the bike and its very evident of that since the glass over the speedo side is broken and theres a couple of cracks in the plastic cover, thats why i was thinking of looking into the trail tech kit. but as for grounding the plug il try that tomorrow and see if it works

Old 05-31-2012, 05:54 AM
1st Gear Member

My fan has only come on in summer and riding in 1st gear on greasy snotty trails. It takes pretty extreme riding for it to come on at all.

Old 05-31-2012, 12:21 PM
1st Gear Member
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by clgdswr
Unplug the sensor mounted in the right side radiator. Ground the wire that you just unplugged from the sensor, if the fan comes on, then you verified the relay, the motor, and the fuse are all good, that only leaves the switch.

Have the key on when you ground the wire BTW.

Cooling fan switch turns on the fan at between 201 and 212F according to service manual

Hope that helps
+1 The fan switch in my '06 went bad, and we verified that with this method. Im my case, the Temp light came on, the bike started bubbling, but the fan wouldn't kick on. I replaced the switch in the radiator, but also wired up a push switch in the left switch pod to manually turn the fan on in case it happened again.

Old 05-31-2012, 10:20 PM
1st Gear Member

My fan has only come on once... riding very steep rocky stuff, with a lot of revving and not much going...

Old 09-10-2012, 03:35 PM
1st Gear Member

This is the best thread I could find on testing the cooling fan circuit (thanks clgdswr's post #4) so figured this would be a good one to add to and link up in the FAQs. Here's some follow-up. My fan hasn't been on for a long time (over 6 months), but it used to come on last year during tough rides. On a recent very steep and slow ride, the temp light flickered and I shut down the bike immediately. The fan did not turn on. Got home and after letting the bike idle in the driveway until it started to boil over with no temp light or fan coming on, I pulled the fan switch and tested it per the 2009 manual recommendations, below.

edit: I followed post #4 above to check the fan, fuse, and relay. This test is very simple, and the fan worked fine when grounding the fan switch wire.

The switch tested out of spec, switching off-to-on and on-to-off at temperatures higher than specified below. Ordered a new switch from riderschoiceracing (it was the best price I could find at around $75). More to come later.

From the 2009 manual

Radiator Fan Switch Inspection
• Remove the radiator fan switch from the radiator (see
Radiator Fan Switch/Water Temperature Warning Light
Switch Removal in the Cooling System chapter).
• Suspend the switch [A] in a container of coolant so that
the temperature-sensing area and threaded portion are
submerged.
• Suspend an accurate thermometer [8] in the coolant so
that the sensitive portions [C] are located in almost the
same depth.
NOTE
o The switch and thermometer must not touch the container
sides or bottom.
• Place the container over a source of heat and gradually
raise the temperature of the oil while stirring the oil gently
for even temperature.
• Using the hand tester, measure the internal resistance of
the switch across the terminals in the connector at the
temperatures shown below.
Special Tool - Hand Tester: 57001-1394
Radiator Fan Switch Resistance
Rising Temperature
OFF to ON: 95 ~ 101°C (203 ~ 214 OF)
Falling Temperature:
ON to OFF: 87°C (189°F) or less
ON: 0.5 Q or less
OFF: 1 MQ or more
* If the hand tester does not show the specified values, replace
the switch.

Last edited by IDRIDR; 09-10-2012 at 08:02 PM.

Quick Reply: 07 klx fan not working