07 and earlier rotors on an 09?

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2008, 12:56 AM
1st Gear Member

kdx rotors are an exact fit. Not all years though. I have a 97 rear that hit's the caliper so I have to get it machined down some. The holes are countersunk so both the front and rear bolt right onto the hubs. I had a set of rotors off an 03 kdx that fit fine so I know for sure they work.

Old 11-27-2008, 03:15 AM
Banned
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by je2000
Thanks for the info.

I can't find any aftermarket rotors for the 09. I know I can get some cheap ones somewhere....
well, I may have something you may be interested in. Back when I was wanting a 300R style front rotor on my '06, I couldn't find an oem 300R rotor and bought an aftermarket one off ebay. When I got it, I realized it wouldn't just bolt up. I'm not a machinist, but I tried to drill out the holes myself but the material is super hard so I just put the oem one back on and never used the one I bought off ebay. It's been sitting in my garage ever since. $20 and shipping if ya want it.
I'll post up a pic if you're interested, but this is what it is:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/KAWAS...Q5fAccessories

Last edited by 09KLXowner; 11-27-2008 at 03:17 AM.
Old 11-27-2008, 03:16 AM
Banned
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by lcpl0331
kdx rotors are an exact fit. Not all years though. I have a 97 rear that hit's the caliper so I have to get it machined down some. The holes are countersunk so both the front and rear bolt right onto the hubs. I had a set of rotors off an 03 kdx that fit fine so I know for sure they work.
yep, that's right. kdx rotors are a match for some reason. let me know if you're interested in this brake rotor I've got.

Old 11-27-2008, 03:47 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by 09KLXowner
yep, that's right. kdx rotors are a match for some reason. let me know if you're interested in this brake rotor I've got.
Hey thanks a lot. I've got a drill press that probably would be perfect for the job. Obviously it's going to be hard material, I couldn't see doing it any other way really. Not too keen on drill pressing a rotor, but it should work OK. The KDX way seems easier though.

I think I will wait until the wheels arrive so I can see just what I'm dealing with. I'm sure it doesn't take up much space...so hold onto it for just a little bit longer? I might take you up on it.

I'm thinking of someone in the opposite situation I'm in...will we see any SF owners looking to convert to dirt? I sat on the new SF and it was small and low. Wonder how tall it'd get with dirt wheels. I'm especially interested as the SF might be a perfect match for my girlfriend. I want her to go the DS route, but she's really eying up the boulevard s40's in the shop. Very nice in white actually.

Old 11-27-2008, 05:28 AM
1st Gear Member

As far as the 14/42 sprocket combo on 17" wheels goes, it will be roughly like going to a 13/42 with the dirt wheels. You will be about 600RPM higher in 6th gear at typical cruising speeds. Not bad, but not ideal for long stretches.

Old 11-27-2008, 05:31 AM
1st Gear Member

Well the -SF has far less suspension travel than the -S so making an SF into a dirt machine might not be as successful as swapping on street wheels/tires/sprockets to an -S model. Isn't yours red? Get her a green one

Old 11-27-2008, 06:14 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by cliffsta
Well the -SF has far less suspension travel than the -S so making an SF into a dirt machine might not be as successful as swapping on street wheels/tires/sprockets to an -S model. Isn't yours red? Get her a green one
Not a chance. Seriously, who is the dude with the supermoto 09, graphics pulled except the "Kawasaki" logo, black rear covers, black fork guards....I'm copying you ya know!!!

EDIT: Our bike is a compromise....For some to convert the SF to dirt would be insane. But for others, it might work out OK. For others, our bike is a complete NO GO, no matter what you do.

I may not know what I'm talking about since this is my first bike ever and I've owned it only a few months.

If I lived in a big city, a dirt bike/supermoto combo would seem to be the PERFECT commuter/street attack/just have fun bike out there. It's how I bought my MTB bike and I used that experience to transition into motorcycle riding. I miss my Specialized...stolen....

Last edited by je2000; 11-27-2008 at 06:17 AM.
Old 11-27-2008, 07:08 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by tremor38
As far as the 14/42 sprocket combo on 17" wheels goes, it will be roughly like going to a 13/42 with the dirt wheels. You will be about 600RPM higher in 6th gear at typical cruising speeds. Not bad, but not ideal for long stretches.
Dean is correct, I ran the stock gearing when I first put my 17's on and it lowered the gearing just a little, not sure it was 600 rpm but thats not far off maybe around 400 - 500 rpm at 60 mph

Old 11-27-2008, 06:29 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by MaverickAus
Dean is correct, I ran the stock gearing when I first put my 17's on and it lowered the gearing just a little, not sure it was 600 rpm but thats not far off maybe around 400 - 500 rpm at 60 mph
What is an appropriate sprocket setup to maintain the 6k rpm at 60mph performance I'm used to?

Old 11-27-2008, 09:31 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by je2000
What is an appropriate sprocket setup to maintain the 6k rpm at 60mph performance I'm used to?
Probably need to go down a tooth or two in the back.

Quick Reply: 07 and earlier rotors on an 09?