'06 KLX250S What Upgrades to Make?

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2012, 07:26 AM
1st Gear Member

Good luck on your mods. Anyway , I know you'll love your bike more. Whats great with klx250s is that its a great beginner bike and you mod as your skills improve. Your skills grow with your bike. After you rejet, snorkle, pipe, rear sprocket 49 , you will feel you have new bike. Its like night and day from stock. Just don't get too carried away like what happened to me lol. [ I'm still recovering from fractured leg. Pushed myself too much lol ] . Ride safe.

Old 07-07-2012, 11:17 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by toyotabuilder
i have a tci skid i think it looks pretty cool thats the only reason i got it lol https://tciproductsusa.com/index.php...roducts_id=623
and by far the coolest thing(if you like snow that is)Home i got one last fall but never got to use it yet because of a surgery but will put it on this winter for sure
Well rats I stand corrected! I had not seen the TCI plate! I wonder if it fits 06-07. I bet it would. It is pretty expensive however.

Old 07-07-2012, 07:17 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by stephenmarklay
Well rats I stand corrected! I had not seen the TCI plate! I wonder if it fits 06-07. I bet it would. It is pretty expensive however.
and i found these they are for a klx300 but it looks like they might fit?
http://worksconnection.com/details.p...n=336-4-KLX300

Old 07-07-2012, 07:40 PM
1st Gear Member

Look at the Utah or Ricochet skidplates.

Old 07-07-2012, 08:32 PM
TNC
1st Gear Member

Or just find the cheapest MSR or Moose skid plate that you can and bolt it on. Just about any of these skid plates will do the job. Just make sure it goes up on the front sides enough to protect the water pump especially. I haven't seen even the cheapest one not provide that coverage or have enough guage in the aluminum to not provide more than adequate protection. I'm using an MSR...same as whoever makes the Moose one as far as I can tell...and it's been bashed so many times over 3+ years of rock riding it isn't even funny. I hit something out on the Elephant Hill/Beef Basin trail in SE Utah this spring so hard it nearly knocked my teeth out, and I hit it right on the water pump side of the skid plate. Two weeks later back at home, I unbolted the skid plate and tapped it out with a hammer and block of wood. It was only slightly angled up, but hey...on a KLX you always want to look your best...LOL! Everywhere I ride it seems it's rocky as heck. The bottom of my skid plate looks like someone has been firing 12ga. double-ought buckshot at it, but there's not one crack, penetration, or broken mount. Really high dollar skid plates may be overrated. Spend the extra money on some better tires or some extra tequila stock.

Old 07-08-2012, 01:59 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by stephenmarklay
Here is THE cats meow for skid plates. They have radiator guards too.
Scorpion Racing - KLX 250
I think this is the plate I've been looking for. It's not a whole lot more expensive than some of the others, and it's Canadian, so I won't have to worry about surprise customs or duty fees like I might if I go with an American one. (Rarely a problem, but I've been caught out on that a couple times before.) It's hard to tell from pics online, but their hand guards don't look to be of the same quality as the skid plates... Correct me if I'm wrong.

So, currently the first wish list for this bike is as follows:

Scorpion skid plate and radiator guard
Bark Buster or Cycra hand guards

Don't have a clue what to do about fork guards, and I already broke one of those.

Thanks again everybody for the help

Old 07-08-2012, 02:19 AM
TNC
1st Gear Member

Fork guards...a pair of inexpensive UFO models like these for a KX of some past year. Dan888 has an excellent tutorial on the very small modification you have to do to one or both of the guards by drilling a simple hole in the plastic. These are not brittle and keep their whiteness. Better than stock replacement by a large margin and cheaper by a large margin.

Attached Thumbnails '06 KLX250S  What Upgrades to Make?-ufo-guards.jpg   '06 KLX250S  What Upgrades to Make?-p1010054.jpg  
Old 07-08-2012, 02:39 AM
1st Gear Member

Depending on funds: Highway Dirt Bikes handguards are VERY nice, they incorporate folding mirrors. If I were to do it over and had $$ ...

Old 07-08-2012, 06:02 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by TNC
Fork guards...a pair of inexpensive UFO models like these for a KX of some past year. Dan888 has an excellent tutorial on the very small modification you have to do to one or both of the guards by drilling a simple hole in the plastic. These are not brittle and keep their whiteness. Better than stock replacement by a large margin and cheaper by a large margin.
Thanks, TNC. I'll look for Dan888's tutorial on the fork guards.

Originally Posted by ol'klx-er
Depending on funds: Highway Dirt Bikes handguards are VERY nice, they incorporate folding mirrors. If I were to do it over and had $$ ...
Nicest hand guards I've seen, yet. I'll have to weigh my options on this one....

Old 07-20-2012, 06:17 PM
1st Gear Member

Decided on a Maxxis IT Desert on the rear, and did the UFO fork guard upgrade. I couldn't believe how brittle the old factory ones were. They both disintegrated in my hands when I took them off.
I haven't installed my hand guards, yet, but my frugal side took over the day I ordered them. I really liked the Highway Dirt Bike ones, and the Bark Busters, but I ended up going with UFOs there as well. A Scorpion skid plate is on order, and I think I'm going to try a 13 tooth front sprocket, too.

Last edited by Rooster; 07-20-2012 at 06:20 PM.

Quick Reply: '06 KLX250S What Upgrades to Make?