'06 KLX250S What Upgrades to Make?

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2012, 01:30 PM
1st Gear Member
Default '06 KLX250S What Upgrades to Make?

Picked up a 2006 KLX250S a while back, mostly for off road use, but I like the idea of being street legal to get to the trails and gas stations. I don't have much experience on dirt, or around dirt bikes, so I'm learning on the fly here. I've been pounding the pavement for about 6 years. I plan on riding snowmobile/atv trails and single track. Most of the terrain around here is hard pack and rocky. First order of business is a knobby rear tire. Some local hardcores recommended changing that, and told me my front is ok for what I want to do. As far as I can tell, the bike is bone stock. Any recommendations as to what I should add to, or change on the bike?

Where can I find after market plastics? I think changing them out might be a good idea, before I destroy the factory stuff.

Last edited by Rooster; 07-05-2012 at 01:35 PM.
Old 07-05-2012, 01:52 PM
Da dirty moderator
1st Gear Member

No aftermarket plastics available. OEM.

Having an '06. I would get correct springs for your weight, if you are over 150lbs. Then rejet, exhaust, and open up the air box all at once. There are tons of other things. But if i were to do it over thats what i would do.

Old 07-05-2012, 02:01 PM
1st Gear Member

EMS said it well.

Don't be surprised if you use it more onroad than you're planning. I got mine for home-trail-connect-home again but I've barely ridden my Suzuki Bandit 1250 since getting the KLX. Didn't count on that.

Old 07-05-2012, 02:50 PM
1st Gear Member

The mods EMS05_25 mentioned are the typical ones and likely you will reap the most benefit from.

Some people go to the extent of going with a big bore kit to get more power.

Personally I say just ride it the rest of the season. Get to know it. Next year make the changes you decide you need.

I put 3500 miles on mine stock one this year. Its great. I don't have to do anything to it to have more fun. Oh I need new tires

Old 07-05-2012, 02:57 PM
TNC
1st Gear Member

Read this site first. WELCOME to Planet KLX

Old 07-05-2012, 03:25 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by djchan
EMS said it well.

Don't be surprised if you use it more onroad than you're planning.
I was already worried this might happen, but I'm going to do my best to avoid it. I have a 2007 Monster and a 2010 Bonneville in my garage that I should still get on once in a while.

Originally Posted by stephenmarklay
The mods EMS05_25 mentioned are the typical ones and likely you will reap the most benefit from.

Some people go to the extent of going with a big bore kit to get more power.

Personally I say just ride it the rest of the season. Get to know it. Next year make the changes you decide you need.

I put 3500 miles on mine stock one this year. Its great. I don't have to do anything to it to have more fun. Oh I need new tires
Sound advice. I'm not interested on big bore kits. If i want more power, I'll get another bike. I don't like messing with a good thing. I'm more interested in things like good wrap around hand guards, skid plate, better fork guards (I already broke one of those)... Stuff to protect the bike and maybe help me ride a bit better. I'm not worried that I'll be outperforming the bike, so performance upgrades can wait.

Originally Posted by TNC
Read this site first. WELCOME to Planet KLX

Wow, great site. Thanks for the link.

Old 07-05-2012, 05:37 PM
1st Gear Member

You nailed it with skid plate & hand guards to protect the machine. If you're dumping it, plan on new handlebars as the stock ones are known to bend easily. I also added bar risers. If you're riding nasty stuff, notice that the front brake line is susceptible to damage. Think stainless steel brake line with a little extra length if you're adding bar risers.

Old 07-07-2012, 02:00 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by IDRIDR
You nailed it with skid plate & hand guards to protect the machine. If you're dumping it, plan on new handlebars as the stock ones are known to bend easily. I also added bar risers. If you're riding nasty stuff, notice that the front brake line is susceptible to damage. Think stainless steel brake line with a little extra length if you're adding bar risers.
I did forget to mention the bike had pro taper bars already, so that's a step in the right direction.

I did some research, and it looks like Cycra or Bark Buster hand guards are the way to go. Anyone agree/disagree, or recommend a particular model? I'll be the first to admit I stink at figuring out what will work well for me.

I've also been looking for skid plates and fork guards with no success. Any recommendations there?

Rooster

Old 07-07-2012, 03:03 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Rooster
I did forget to mention the bike had pro taper bars already, so that's a step in the right direction.

I did some research, and it looks like Cycra or Bark Buster hand guards are the way to go. Anyone agree/disagree, or recommend a particular model? I'll be the first to admit I stink at figuring out what will work well for me.

I've also been looking for skid plates and fork guards with no success. Any recommendations there?

Rooster
Here is THE cats meow for skid plates. They have radiator guards too.
http://scorpionracing.ca/index.php?o...=138&Itemid=26

Last edited by stephenmarklay; 07-07-2012 at 03:08 AM.
Old 07-07-2012, 07:16 AM
1st Gear Member

i have a tci skid i think it looks pretty cool thats the only reason i got it lol https://tciproductsusa.com/index.php...roducts_id=623
and by far the coolest thing(if you like snow that is)Home i got one last fall but never got to use it yet because of a surgery but will put it on this winter for sure

Quick Reply: '06 KLX250S What Upgrades to Make?