06 klx250 jetting

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2009, 05:13 PM
Default 06 klx250 jetting

Hi there, I recently aquired a 2006 klx250s. Someone traded me even for a TW200 of the same year, and I couldn't resist, as the TW200 was a bit slow for my commuting. I am still looking for a bit more power out of the klx, and have read through a lot of posts and FAQ's on sites, but Im having trouble understanding the jetting process.
If I take it to a Kawi dealer are they going to know exactly what to do? I have noticed a few ppl suggest the klx300 dynojet kit. Should I order one of those and bring it in to the dealer? I hate paying what dealers charge for anything but I know nothing about carburetors so am probably stuck doing that. They tend to take adv of the fact that I'm a girl. I have always changed my oil, brakes, etc.,on bikes but this seems more difficult. Will they know all the adjustments, etc? I tried understanding what I've seen on the site about jet sizes and such, but seems everyone uses a diff setup. Will just buying a kit work or do I need to buy individual parts?

I will also be getting a slip on exhaust at the same time, full systems are prob a bit out of my price range. Whichever brand I find for a good price on ebay most likely.

Sorry so many questions, I am such a noob with carb bikes, have had sportbikes the last 6 years. Thanks for any help. Holly

Old 07-30-2009, 05:20 PM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member

Whoah..whoah...whoah! A girl? Alright you guys don't scare this one off you monkeys. Welcome to the forums Holly, you have truly found the best Kawasaki forum out there, and the best KLX section as well. congrats on the new bike, and of course the 06 KLX is the best one so far. (evil grin)

When you get a chance, post up in the new members area, not the questionnaire but just start a new thread in the New members area so we cal all give you a proper welcome.

As far as the jetting, sadly I don't have a clue either, I took mine to the dealer and had one of the mechanics who is also a racer do my bike. It has run flawlessly for 12,000 miles. Spend the money on the slip on, then take it to the dealer and tell them you want it jetted. The 300 jets are the right ones. Also tell them you want it to be able to breathe better, they will know just what to do. Have fun and again welcome to the forums. You gotta love a gal that can wrench on her own bike.

Old 07-30-2009, 07:29 PM

Thanks so much for the reply. I guess I'll call a dealer and see what they will charge me to do it. I am loving the bike so far, and am having a blast on it. I saw a Muzzy full system today for a good price so I might try and go with that, and see if I can save a few bucks by getting the Jet Kit online. Can't wait to hear it with an exhaust, sounds like a scooter now!

Old 07-30-2009, 10:50 PM
1st Gear Member
Default rejetting

i just dropped mine off @ the dealer today. the jet kit was 60 bucks i thought that was a little high. they said 2 1/2 hrs to install it i said forget it to much on my way out the door they said they would do it for 1 1/2 hrs labor. ok

just wondering do you like fishing and camping

Old 07-30-2009, 11:15 PM
1st Gear Member

Welcome to the forums and the KLX!

If you can check around and find a reputable local bike shop, I'd agree that they would be able to do the work accurately. They probably have a bunch of jets on hand- my shop had a big segmented box for both Mikuni and Keihin carbs with plenty of jet choices for both. Jets were only $5 a pop. The needle we need was a different matter- 1 week special order for the part. (Or you could get the KLX300 DynoJet kit!)

There are a lot of variables in tuning the bike, but they will be way ahead of the game knowing what works on a carb'd 250 at your elevation and temperature ranges. Beats having to guess, find out you are lean or rich, and spend another 2 hours pulling the carb again!

FWIW, we can provide a link with pics if you want to do it yourself- it only took me about 3 hours.

Last edited by testify4; 07-30-2009 at 11:17 PM.
Old 07-31-2009, 12:56 AM
1st Gear Member

Welcome Holly. Are you local to any other forum users. I'm sure any of them would be around in a flash to help fit the jet kit and pipe. Just serve up cold brews to keep em focused.

Old 07-31-2009, 01:23 AM
1st Gear Member

Probably a good number to start with is around 120-128. The more you open up the air flow, the higher the number. You can remove the intake snorkle, or remove the air box lid. Then another upgrade would be the exhuast.

One thing you may want to look into is the free mods. Not exactly a hp increase, but they do help the KLX engine feel more alive.

Old 07-31-2009, 03:23 PM

Thanks for all the info!! I plan to call around to a few shops soon and see what they say. I am having a ton of fun on this bike. I use some dirt roads pretty often so it handles them much better than my R6 did haha. I live in Maine so I don't know how many riders are up here, I'm guessing not a ton.
Oh, and I do like fishing and camping LOL.

Old 07-31-2009, 04:08 PM
Da dirty moderator
1st Gear Member

Nice to see the other gender enjoying the fun. Welcome... i did all my own jetting and stuff...
here is mine:
Name:  newbike011.jpg
Views: 619
Size:  161.4 KB

Old 07-31-2009, 04:35 PM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by EMS_0525
Nice to see the other gender enjoying the fun. Welcome... i did all my own jetting and stuff...
here is mine:

Dude she doesn't want to see dirty pictures of your bike.....ok I don't but still.

Quick Reply: 06 klx250 jetting