06 klx stalling out at half a tank

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2010, 12:03 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by bombagee
Hi, I just got an 06 250s with 12,000kms on it and twice now when I get to about 100kms on the tank the bike won't stay running, keeps stalling out on me, I fix the problem by filling it back up with gas, but I know that's not the problem, since it still has like a half tank of gas left. Only thing I can think of is when I open the tank and close it again if that's doing something.

My question is, do these bikes have a petcock or equivalent and if so where is it so I can check it and what do you guys think about that being the problem?
+1 on checking the vent hoses. They run from the tank and the ends hang out the bottom of the bike near the shock.

Next time it dies, try switching the petcock (LH side of bike) to reserve position (lever straight-up -180 degrees from 'On' postion). If it runs fine after that, the standpipe for the main might be a bit high, or you just get REALLY crappy gas mileage for some odd reason. Are you riding on pavement or mostly wringing it out off-road?

Old 05-04-2010, 03:13 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Highbeam
I hit the reserve today after just 52 miles of trail riding. Perhaps the reserve portion of our fuel tanks is freaking huge. Like 1 gallon.
HB, I don't think so. I keep a fuel/maintenance log on my bike (I know, a bit **** but I learned it from my dad as a tot, so I do it too). I regularly get 60-65 mpg, so for a 1.9 gal tank - think thats right - lets call it 120+ mile range. I usually refuel anywhere from 75-90 miles on the ODO, just before hitting reserve, so I can't imagine reserve being much more than 4 or 5 tenths. If I had to guess you were doing some serious low gear work on a less than full tank to start.

SC, would like to know when your modded bike reaches reserve. Sounds like you're getting pretty decent milage.

Old 05-04-2010, 03:33 PM
1st Gear Member

I fear you are right, that I burned 1.5 gallons in 53 miles which is about the consumption of my old XR400 in the same consitions. The tank was topped off before I left and odometer reset. This was the bikes first real tank of off-road and I always start with a full tank. I actually carry fuel hose and planned on being able to transfer fuel to riders that ran out, thank goodness I didn't do that!

The trail was really tough and all single track. I had several times that the cooling fan kicked on while I was riding and it was about 50 degrees ambient. So I am going by the theory that when you use these bikes to do work you will use lots of fuel, when you cruise on the pavement they are very miserly with consumption.

Old 05-04-2010, 05:18 PM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member

Get yourself a camelbak

And slip in a couple of these....

I never go on an extended ride without them.