'04 klx250s...what next??

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2014, 09:04 PM
1st Gear Member

As a 'Berg owner for many years - actually decades! (Man I'm gettin old.) My FC501 and FE650E have been very high maintenance but relatively trouble free considering what they are - which is extremely light weight extremely high output engines that, IMO, were never intended to have longevity, just big power. For instance - You change the oil (synthetic only) after every ride and the oil filter every other ride. The FC501 has lost compression recently ( It is a 1998 I bought new, so I guess it's about time.) and I'm gearing up for a very high repair bill if I can't find a simple problem. IMO, the entry fee to ownership is the least you'll spend if you intend to own, ride, and maintain someone else's older 'Berg - best to locate the nearest Husaberg certified repair shop before buying. On-the-other-hand, throwing your leg over a 'Berg ...well need I say more?

Old 10-13-2014, 05:45 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by MattyTracks
Bike is the dirtiest it's ever been
Dirt??? What dirt???

You should have followed me on Friday-talk about a mudfest

Old 10-13-2014, 08:46 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by GBAUTO
Dirt??? What dirt???

You should have followed me on Friday-talk about a mudfest
Lol, I try to avoid mud with the stock tires, tires and skid plate are next, probably an early Christmas present to myself...

Well, I went to see buddy with the husaberg and Yamaha who wanted to trade for my klx400. I passed on the deal, his bikes needed too much nickel and dime stuff, no e start(spoiled eh?) and the maintenance was questionable. I did take both for a spin though. The wr250f although not running crisp still had great mid and top end. 13k rev limiter...yeehaa!!! The husaberg 501 was not running that good and needed the carb clean and rebuilt, but I did take it for a spin...250 pounds, 50hp...wow, scary wow!! 3rd gear sitting on the tank I could still lift the front end, all throttle, no clutch. But like a stated, too many little things to fix, husaberg had a front cover oil leak and the carb was overflowing, rear brake was no existent. Yamaha looked recently crashes as the front fender was stitched together, front bezel smash and new bars, chain looked crummy. My klx400 is perfect but it needs nothing and is uber reliable. I guess I'll work on plating the 400 then either keep it or sell it, I have many people interested in it until I tell them it needs to be registered...the saga continues.

No seat time today on the 250s, it is thanksgiving here in canuckistan so just chilling around the house today

Happy thanksgiving folk!!!

Old 10-13-2014, 10:04 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by MattyTracks
No seat time today on the 250s, it is thanksgiving here in canuckistan so just chilling around the house today

Happy thanksgiving folk!!!
You're about a month early-guess you must go into hibernation next month...

Old 10-13-2014, 10:28 PM
1st Gear Member

You're about a month early-guess you must go into hibernation next month...
Haha, no kidding, though here in Victoria we get the warmest winters in Canada, it can be wet ...I'll probably commute all winter on the 250, my insurance is up on my jeep next month and I plan on going a year on the bike only. We will see....

Old 10-13-2014, 11:47 PM
1st Gear Member

Grip studs in D606s all winter (except for more than 4" of snow, I wait for the plow), Frogg Toggs over my boots, Barr Mitts on the handlebars(combined with Aerostitch Triple Digits), and I'm good for most of winter temps and conditions down to 20ºF. After it drops below that some electrical gear comes out...
I also bought a FirstGear Thermo suit last year...it is dry and very warm...but lacking in nice features as it was only $170.
You can do it! It might be ugly some days, just be careful...been riding through winter for 2 yrs(25 mile commute one way)...but I've aged 10.

Old 10-14-2014, 01:03 AM
1st Gear Member

I bet black ice is fun on two wheels. Kinda like wet Georgia clay...

Old 10-14-2014, 01:59 AM
1st Gear Member

I bet black ice is fun on two wheels. Kinda like wet Georgia clay...
Studs make you stick like glue(mostly). I only ride slower when the temps are around freezing, which can make the ice crusty and squirrely.

Now an inch or more of snow, on top of ice is a whole other ball of wax. Let's just say I've had some very long, slow, almost zero visibility from snow, and dark commutes.

It's why I now have a cage and keep an eye on the weather. I still ride if I can...

Old 10-14-2014, 09:25 PM
1st Gear Member

A couple days ago I showed you guys my home security, at work I need something with more kick....que the klx attack buck!! He spent most of the day bedded about 10 feet from my bike, every once in a whole he'd take a lap around the bike and go lie down again. I love nature!!
Name:  321F1523-6ECD-4859-826D-ED98B55A8F3C.jpg
Views: 28
Size:  58.2 KB
Name:  326C2637-E2A4-4609-896D-B177AF6EA603.jpg
Views: 30
Size:  78.2 KB
Name:  BC776864-F727-45EB-9999-668CD7C1D8C6.jpg
Views: 31
Size:  67.2 KB

Old 10-14-2014, 10:13 PM
1st Gear Member

He's gonna get that bike pregnant !