-= Stock Mirrors? =-

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2008, 02:39 AM
1st Gear Member
Default -= Stock Mirrors? =-

Sorry for the noob question or stupid question or whatever.... but do you guys really keep these things on, you could ride just fine with them off,well i know i could.

Just have to look behind your shoulder,not so hard.

Anyways,is theres any good mods or some websites you guys can spare me to a good maybe "tiny mirror" type setup, something thats smaller and maybe has a lower profile. This would be sweet.
Thank you,

ry

Old 07-04-2008, 03:28 AM
1st Gear Member
Default RE: -= Stock Mirrors? =-

eheheh i dont get who are these people, 14 hits,not one single response? [sm=smiley20.gif]

Old 07-04-2008, 03:37 AM
1st Gear Member

Dennis Kirk Part #: 391305

Or you can save up and try to find the guards from Ducati's Hypermotard

Old 07-04-2008, 03:44 AM
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: rykawasaki83

Sorry for the noob question or stupid question or whatever.... but do you guys really keep these things on, you could ride just fine with them off,well i know i could.

Just have to look behind your shoulder,not so hard.

Anyways,is theres any good mods or some websites you guys can spare me to a good maybe "tiny mirror" type setup, something thats smaller and maybe has a lower profile. This would be sweet.
Thank you,
ry
On the road I ride with only the RHS mirror.
It's a legal requirement and Riding with no mirrors on the road is asking for trouble IMHO.
As soon as I go off road, I take it off and put it in the back pack so If/whenI crash
Then when we ride home and we are back on the black stuff, back on the mirror goes.

LHS mirror has never been used.

Old 07-04-2008, 03:51 AM
1st Gear Member

In Louisiana the LHS is required to be on the road. That's all my dad rides with. He usually stashes it in the woods when he trailrides. I like having both mirrors, I'm more afraid of being run over than most anything in front of me (bar the left hand turner that blocks the road). IDK who makes them but there are mirrors that have ratchet pivots at the base... you can pivot them down over the handlebar when on the trail.

My advice? Bring a ratchet and socket and stash your mirrors in the woods after you get there, and put them back on when you leave

Old 07-04-2008, 03:55 AM
1st Gear Member

The link that i posted was to those

Old 07-04-2008, 03:57 AM
1st Gear Member

The stock mirrors suck but you need to have a good mirror when riding on the street. Yes you can look over your shoulder when changing lanes, etc... but you need to see whats going on behind you when you come to a stop light. Below is a pic I took and posted on this board of a biker getting rear ended at a stop light. I didn't witness the incident, but I witnessed the aftermath and a guy sprawled out on the pavement in pain.

As a result of this incident I take precautions at stop lights:

1: When coming to a stop light always flash your brake lights multiple times. Doing so will get the attention of the person on the cell phone behind you more than just a solid brake light.

2: Leave yourself an out, never pull to a stop directly behind a vehicle. Stay to the left or right of the vehicle in front of you. That way if you are rear-ended then you won't get squished between the two, you'll only be pushed to one side or the other.

3: Do not remove your rear view mirrors thecan help save you life.

Here is a link to a site that sells bar mounted mirrors. I am going to order some if I can ever get them to answer the phone. I got this link from a previous 'mirror' thread on this site. Good luck and be safe.

Mike
http://www.dual-star.com/index2/Equi...le_mirror4.htm

http://i202.photobucket.com/albums/a...hip/wreck1.jpg

Old 07-04-2008, 03:59 AM
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: cliffsta

In Louisiana the LHS is required to be on the road.
That makes sense as here in aus we drive on the LHS of the road so RHS mirror is the most important.

Old 07-04-2008, 04:01 AM
1st Gear Member

Hey Mike have you ever used hat style of mirror?I have always heard negative feedback on those because you cant se through your arm.

Old 07-04-2008, 04:19 AM
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 75vette

Hey Mike have you ever used hat style of mirror?I have always heard negative feedback on those because you cant se through your arm.
No I haven't. I've heard mixed reviews on these types of mirrors. I've taken my stock mirrors off and placed the mirror lense where the bar mounted mirrors will be and I have visibility. The only true evaluation of these mirrors will be when I recieve and install them. If they suck then I'll surely remove them and replace them with the stock mirror until I find another solution.

The stock mirror has too much wind drag and makes steering more unsafe at high speeds (60-70mph). I'm trying to find a satisfactory compromise between visibility and handling.

Mike

Quick Reply: -= Stock Mirrors? =-