$16.75 RMA Aluminum 46t rear sprocket deal

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2011, 11:09 PM
1st Gear Member
1st Gear Member
Default $16.75 RMA Aluminum 46t rear sprocket deal

For anyone that's interested, looks like a good deal. Lots of good reviews with claims of it being the best looking sprocket some have ever had.

http://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/pr...FamilyId=24558

Old 08-03-2011, 03:15 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by jhoffy22
For anyone that's interested, looks like a good deal....
I have that sprocket presently, that I purchased last year but installed only two weeks ago. My feeling is that it won't last long, sand seems to eat it quite fast.

I did over 10,000 km with my steel one and it was still looking in very good shape. But I'm not sure if I will do 1,000 with this alu one

Old 08-03-2011, 04:36 AM
TNC
1st Gear Member

I don't know, jhoff. Bikes as heavy as the KLX that also see some pavement use just seem to do better with steel sprockets. It's not always about power shredding sprockets before their time. Weight has a big part as well as some pavement. While our bikes are definitely not in the weight category of a KLR650, they are still heavy compared to real dirt bikes. Racers like to use alloy sprockets for every possible benefit they can get. Pavement and weight like most of our KLX's are exposed to will eat most alloy sprockets pretty quickly.

Old 08-03-2011, 04:48 AM
1st Gear Member
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by TNC
I don't know, jhoff. Bikes as heavy as the KLX that also see some pavement use just seem to do better with steel sprockets. It's not always about power shredding sprockets before their time. Weight has a big part as well as some pavement. While our bikes are definitely not in the weight category of a KLR650, they are still heavy compared to real dirt bikes. Racers like to use alloy sprockets for every possible benefit they can get. Pavement and weight like most of our KLX's are exposed to will eat most alloy sprockets pretty quickly.
I'll keep that in mind TNC, thanks. I didn't think about the whole aluminum vs steel debate I just saw a good deal and grabbed it. That and I cannot find a new 42t or smaller aftermarket sprocket anywhere for my 06.

Old 08-03-2011, 11:24 AM
1st Gear Member

Yah I don't go for aluminum sprockets.. My bike eats them way too quick.

Steel for the win.

Old 08-03-2011, 02:33 PM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member

Thanks for the link, thre is a lot of other stuff listed there for the 06. I'll be book marking it fo shizzle...........did I just say fo shizzle? Sorry folks, move it along...nothing to see here. LOL

Old 08-03-2011, 10:58 PM
1st Gear Member

TNC: “Racers like to use alloy sprockets for every possible benefit they can get.”
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Very true. When you’re sponsored, or a deep-pocketed privateer, your parts only have to last one race!

As someone who has experimented with aluminum rear sprockets on street bikes, I must say that they hold up better than one might expect, but they will not match the life of a steel sprocket. I am now back to steel sprockets and I do not intend on returning to aluminum.

Old 08-03-2011, 11:15 PM
TNC
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by go cytocis
TNC: “Racers like to use alloy sprockets for every possible benefit they can get.”
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Very true. When you’re sponsored, or a deep-pocketed privateer, your parts only have to last one race!

As someone who has experimented with aluminum rear sprockets on street bikes, I must say that they hold up better than one might expect, but they will not match the life of a steel sprocket. I am now back to steel sprockets and I do not intend on returning to aluminum.
LOL!...I wish I could have been sponsored. I raced enduros in our state circuit for many years. I did run alloy sprockets when I was racing the 200cc limit class. They lasted OK there, but the weight of the bike and the power output seemed a little more suitable for the sprockets. In a 14 race season I could get by with probably 2 high quality rear alloy sprockets. That's with some other trail riding in between. A steel sprocket would last all season and into the next. When I raced open class 2-strokes, I killed a high quality Krause Racing alloy sprocket in about 3 or 4 enduros...learned my lesson.

I just thought about something concerning this $17 rear alloy sprocket. For that price, I wonder what the quality will hold out to be?

Old 08-04-2011, 04:27 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by TNC
I just thought about something concerning this $17 rear alloy sprocket. For that price, I wonder what the quality will hold out to be?
You get what you pay for...or do you think we'll get more than what we pay for ??

Old 08-05-2011, 01:20 AM
1st Gear Member

bought one of these 48t in sept 09, been ripping it through a couple thousand off road miles and i just looked at the teeth and they look fine, i would buy another if i needed. I lube my chain every ride but i don't ride any sand. I also changed my primary sprocket and chain at the same time so maybe the whole system works in concert with less wear.

Quick Reply: $16.75 RMA Aluminum 46t rear sprocket deal