"Pulled the trigger"

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2007, 11:19 PM
1st Gear Member
Default "Pulled the trigger"

Today I "pulled the trigger"

I went down tothe Kawasaki dealer for some final discuession about the 07 KLX250S they had. Out of all the dealers I went to:

1st dealer price out the door was 1k over MSRP.
2nd dealer was MSRP& said that when I'm ready to buy they "might" be able to doa bit better but not to expect much. They had a bike on the floor & it took almost 5 minutes to get running. I did get to take a spin around the parking lotbut wasn't able to take it on the road.
3rd dealer,I mentioned to them that I was considering going out of state for the best price& he said to give them a shot to see if they could make the sale.

Dealer 2 & 3: I asked to speak with one of their mechanics & tour the service area.
Dealer 2wouldn't take me into the shop but he went in &had a mechanic come out to talk.
Dealer 3 took me thru the back room where their parts storage was located & to the next building where the service area is. He had me speak to one of the mechanics & answered my questions. They showed me their dyno setup & the storage area with crated bikes.

I asked Dealer 3 what was the best price out the door + tax/reg. I was quoted a price of $4100a few weeks ago from a dealer off of ebay. He told me that he would like to match that but he would be taking a loss. He came back & told me thathe would do it for $4354+tax/reg. It wouldbe $100 over his cost + the 5%kawasaki holdback.
He offered me 10% off on parts & acessories & to build a new bike from the crate.

I wanted to do some research into what he told me. I havea friend whosold new cars & told me all of the inside stories so I didn't take what he said on faith.

This is what I found about dealer pricing:
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
2007 KLX 250S
List Price: $4799
Dealer Invoice: $4166
This is the base dealer cost before the freight charge and assembly credit.
Freight Charge: $175
All dealers pay the same standardized freight charge from Kawasaki to their dealership.
Assembly Credit: $-87 - per Kawasaki dealer pricesheet
Each dealership has its own method of figuring cost of assembly and preparation for sale.
Ready to sell cost: $4254
This model Kawasaki has 5% (of list price) dealer holdback.
This holdback money is paid to dealers in April or October for units that are sold within the previous 6 months. Dealers must pay Kawasaki the full "Dealer Invoice" price and wait up to 6 months after selling the machine to receive their dealer holdback.
Wholesale Incentives: none at this time
Retail Incentives: none at this time
The "Ready to sell cost" is the cost of the machine with NO PROFIT to a dealer. Dealers do not stay in business very long by selling machines for no profit.
Many dealers charge additional fees for "Freight and Setup" over and above the selling price of the machine. Add the "Selling Price" to the "Freight and Setup" charges and subtract the "Ready to sell cost" to determine the PROFIT a dealer is asking to make.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I didn't feel it was worth a6 hr road trip to purchase a bike out of state & haveto pay the taxes & reg here for a $250 savings.

1 final thing that I wanted.& would have broke the sale. I wanted the newest 07 they had, not the one on the floor that was an 07 made on 10/06. They checked their titles on the inventory & went & cut a hole in the box to check the tag on the frame. 3/07 mfg :-) Thats going to be my bike!

I will hold off on the extended warrenty for now, the prices were as follows:
12m $320
24m $370
36m $470
48m $570

Old 10-20-2007, 11:47 PM
1st Gear Member
Default RE: "Pulled the trigger"

Paul, sounds like you have been doing your homework - great research too! I wanted mine so bad I had the glazed over look in my eye (same way I look and act with 6 tequila shooters in me) which salespeople know is an easy mark - I was like a wounded gazelle being pounced on by wild lions - I didn't have a chance! So have fun with those sales people and make 'em hurt!

Old 10-21-2007, 12:03 AM
Da dirty moderator
1st Gear Member

yea... i can honestly say, i didnt research anything, and looked at it once, and got the check in hand for next visit.... never even test rode it... is that weird?

Old 10-21-2007, 12:36 AM
1st Gear Member

You save 10% on the warranty if you buy at the time of sale. I paid $300 for 24 months extra coverage. I do not know what margins the dealer has in either pricing option.

Old 10-21-2007, 12:44 AM
1st Gear Member

The dealer is going to pull the crate down Tuesday & set up the bike. I recieved a copy of the title so I can contact my insurance co with the info. I probally spent an hour sitting on the floor demo just checking it out.

I will have to price out the extended coverage. At the price im getting the bike at, I don't think the dealer is going to move on the extended coverage.

Old 10-21-2007, 12:54 AM
1st Gear Member

The dealerprice for coverage is above Kawasaki MSRP. You may be better off contacting Kawasaki directly and skipping the dealer route.

Old 10-21-2007, 12:57 AM
1st Gear Member

Congrat's! Let the 'mod madness' begin!

Old 10-21-2007, 01:23 AM
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: tremor38

Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo! Where should I begin? Lowest/No cost 1st!

Old 10-21-2007, 01:26 AM
1st Gear Member

Check the sticky posts by bmwhd. Lots of good info there.

ORIGINAL: vlodpg

ORIGINAL: tremor38

Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo! Where should I begin? Lowest/No cost 1st!

Old 10-21-2007, 06:33 AM
1st Gear Member

Congrats and welcome to the family, sounds like you got a good deal

[8D]

Quick Reply: "Pulled the trigger"