$42.50 for a new shift lever!!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2008, 01:32 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by dan888
$6 sounds cheap, I'd have to say they sold them to you at the wrong price. Good idea to buy two at that price.
I'd say you're right, my dealer clipped me for 13 bucks for the same lever. Not that it matters much, I did the same thing cliffsta did after the drop - went out and bought some D-Flex handguards. He probably won't need that additional lever now.

I know that handguards are designed to be just that, but experience has taught me that they see a lot more use guarding levers, bars and controls. I try to keep the KLX upright, but gravity can be a bitch. Figure I've probably save more than the guards cost since I installed them.

I think FM may be onto something. Years ago I read somewhere what it would cost to replace a car piece by piece. I seem to recall it being of around 20 times what the vehicle cost when new. Let's see, a new KLX is around 5K... 100K doesn't seem so farfetched. Of course, some assembly is required.......

Old 12-01-2008, 02:06 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Xerxes
I know that handguards are designed to be just that, but experience has taught me that they see a lot more use guarding levers, bars and controls. I try to keep the KLX upright, but gravity can be a bitch. Figure I've probably save more than the guards cost since I installed them...
Yeup my second replacement lever will probably just collect dust till I sell the bike. And I KNOW for a fact all the crashes and drops I've had that my handguards have saved both levers and mirrors countless times.

It was somewhere between 6 and 8 bucks for one. Maybe it was 7 dollars, IDK, but at that price I had to buy two of 'em LOL

Old 12-01-2008, 02:06 AM
eas
1st Gear Member
Default Parts Prices Through the Years

I've got an '07 KLX250S. One of the things I've found in searching out OEM parts is that some parts priced for the '07 are higher priced than for the '06, or maybe priced differently for a KLX300R. They are all the same engine/frame aren't they? RonAyersMotorsports micro fiche will list all the models/years that a particular part will fit if you use the search engine with a part number. I'm thinking a '99 KLR might have a lot of parts in common with the '06-'09 KLX. It would be worth a try. As a last resort, cut up an aftermarket shift lever and weld the front of the lever to the back half of the OEM part.