$15 rack

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2011, 09:35 PM
1st Gear Member

The drawing alexgg provided is so you can build your own. But we need some sort of reference as to how big it is. Maybe all that is needed would be a dimension from side to side. So when it is printed it could be compared to the PDF dimension.

This gave me an excuse to try out the 3-D capabilities of Adobe PDF. So with that said I made a 3-D Model and attached it to this PDF. The dimensions I used are “Guestimates” I just wanted to show what would be needed to build this. The hardest part will be bending the bracket that attaches to the top plate and to the side of the bike. In my model I used bolts and nuts to attach the plate to the side brackets. Again do not use my dimensions they are not accurate. I guess I could get the dimensions from my bike but I have no intension of building one. Just thought if someone did, they would need more info. Good Job alexgg, the rack looks nice.

Having someone cut it out on a CNC machine will add a lot of cost to it. But would be fast and accurate. I use to program CNC machines at my last job and I could have easily made one for myself. My current job doesn’t allow me that kind of access.

To see the model in 3-D go to Rack 250 3-D PDF, left click in the screen area. Then HOLD and DRAG the left mouse button to rotate it.

Attached Thumbnails  rack-rack.jpg  
Attached Files
File Type: zip
Rack 250 3-D.zip (61.6 KB, 30 views)
Old 05-27-2011, 11:11 PM
1st Gear Member

That's quite the 3D PDF. Thanks, I like how that works.

Old 05-28-2011, 12:33 AM
1st Gear Member

I've been thinking of a simular design but building it where you could attach it in both threaded supports under the side # plates. One is above the end of the filter box , if you havent noticed. Dont know why it's there because it isn't used on my bike for anything that I can tell. That way you could support the weight at three different points. I tried bending and flatening a piece of conduit the last time but couldn't get the angles correct. Something like the nomadac rack but it would go under the # plates.

Old 05-28-2011, 02:01 AM
1st Gear Member

what are you using for the supports?

Old 05-28-2011, 02:19 AM
1st Gear Member

Hi guys. If you print the pdf it will be the right size. However you need big printer coz it is not A4 or letter size print. It has holes for Kolpin mount as well. You need two prints coz there is only one side bracket on the drawing. Use PVA glue, it works fine on aluminium and easy to peeloff after end of job. I got aluminium from MetalMart (small local shop). Side spacers are parts from trolley wheels (50 cents each). If you follow the drawing it is easy to bend correctly the brackets. Check the scheme - you need to cut deeper about 5mm (to take into account the thickness of the plate) to have bended parts on the level with the bracket. Use hammer to bend. It is easier than you guys think. You can preheat before bending if you have a gas torch. It helps. When all parts are ready drill side holes and those in the plate. The final drilling is to connect side brackets with the upper plate. Do it when all parts are in place. Because it is hand made rack - it is very hard to keep all measurements within specs of 1mm. It is the reason why those holes are not market in the figure. They must be done when upper plate is in place and side bracket are in place. When they are all together drill in and put screws. Job done. I used just normal saw. It took one afternoon to complete the job. Definitively if you have fancy saw it will be faster. You can use side grinder as well. I gonna put original scheme in Adobe Illustrator format this monday. Good luck and have fun! Believe me - it is easy. I was scared at the beginning of the project but was very surprised that could finish it in one afternoon.

Old 05-28-2011, 02:27 AM
1st Gear Member

by the way, you can check the size of drawing by distance between holes in the upper plate that are for mounting it to the frame

Old 05-28-2011, 05:33 AM
1st Gear Member

cmott426 did amazing 3D plot. However there is a mistake. In my design top plate lies completely on the side brackets without any spaces. It is the reason why I mentioned that you need to cut extra 5mm on each side of the bent bracket to have it at the level of the top part of the side main bracket. It is important for keeping right angles in all construction.

Old 05-28-2011, 06:06 AM
1st Gear Member

More pictures. Exact measurements will be with Adobe Illustrator file.

Attached Thumbnails  rack-side.jpg    rack-mounting.jpg  
Old 05-30-2011, 05:10 AM
1st Gear Member

Well it is A3 print. Limits in the attachment file do not allow me to post complete file. I added some comments on the plot together with the measurements.

Attached Files
File Type: zip
Plate-v1.zip (19.6 KB, 21 views)
Old 05-31-2011, 05:31 PM
1st Gear Member

Is this bad boy pretty sturdy?

Quick Reply: $15 rack