Why the KLR in CA.?

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2007, 11:14 PM
Default Why the KLR in CA.?

Yeah, well if you live in Kalifornia, you can't get a new KLR or a KLX! The KLR was discontinued here and the KLX is not legal here. So much for about 10,000,000 motorcycle riders in this crappy state! The only way to get either is to buy a used KLR here or try and bring in a KLX from out of state (good luck, better know the CA. Department of Vehicles regulations before trying!)

So yeah.. trying to find a your only option for a 250cc bike, a good used KLR 250 can be hard. I think that the last Honda XL 250 sold here was in '95. If you want some with more zip than the Suzuki DR200 (I have one of those), or the Yamaha XT 225, and don't want to go the DR400 route,a usedKLR is the only way to go (other than KTM and Husky=$$$$$). I found my '01 in a garage with 325 miles on it. Ran great. The owner didn't even know how many speeds it had (6)! Paid $2k for it, roughly half what it lists for.

It actually has a top end hit, but the bottom end is rather soft at times. I put over 100 miles on it yesterday: some freeway(hit 75mph), some twisties and a dirt fire road. It handled everything quite well. But it thrashes your bod on long rides! (I'm 53, 6'0, 200lbs).

This is my 23rd bike. Would I buy it again? Heck ya! (There's a '04 in the TradeExpress for $2,400, 1k miles...Hmmmm...) Electric start would be nice, but this is a REAL motorcycle...same goes for the gravity fuel petcock...leave it on and you'll flood the bike. Butt-ugly olive green/silver color scheme...Tune-ups are straight forward and I advise to spend the $75 for a shop manual. You'll need a torque wrench, from Sears..etc...$45? This bike is fun to wring out at high rpm's, so chage the oil and filter a lot. I change mine every 500 miles (what, $20 is cheap insurance!)

EVERY person that I've let ride this bike wants one!!People stop me on the street and want to look the bike over and ask all kinds of questions. They say "What the heck is that?!" A lot didn't know that Kawasaki has been making these for what, over 20 years now? One guy from Iran tried to buy it off me as he said it'd be perfect for that country.. I didn't sell it. But yeah, good used late model, low mileage examples examples are out there..offer them $2k!

Old 06-09-2007, 04:00 AM
1st Gear Member
Default RE: Why the KLR in CA.?

ORIGINAL: greenkow
same goes for the gravity fuel petcock...leave it on and you'll flood the bike.
Never flooded mine yet and I leave it on all the time, must be something wrong with yours