Rack for KLR250

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2006, 10:24 PM
Default Rack for KLR250

Are luggage/parcel racks available for this bike? Anyone made one? Is the rack from the KLX adaptable to the KLR?

Old 07-31-2006, 12:15 PM
1st Gear Member
Default RE: Rack for KLR250

No access from the link you posted for me, but . . . assume the bike in question is a KLR250.

Kawasaki makes a package rack for the KLR250, but . . . in my experience, the product is a poorly-manufactured, zero quality-control abomination.

The space between the mounting holes on mine was too small to fit my bike; solution--hydraulic bottle jack, spreading the mounting arms until the rack would fit on the bike.

Next problem: The mounting holes don't line up with the existing holes. Solution: Line-bore the holes using the package rack holes as a template--sloppy, messy, poor practice, but--what else?

Next, the rack is not relieved for the turn signal teats (the little protrusions on the turn signal bases, fitting into holes on the stock bike to orient and to stabilize the turn signals). Result--the turn signal threaded tubes cannot extend inside the package rack mounting holes and the original holes sufficiently (the teats will not allow sufficient penetration) for the nuts to gain purchase.

Solution: A.) Drill the package rack to accommodate the turn signal teats, or B.) Grind off the teats. In either case, you will not likely be able to engage the nuts fully on the threaded turn signal tubes.

I chose A.); B.) would not orient and stabilize the turn signals.

Rehabbing the Kawasaki package rack just to make it fit is somewhat time-consuming and frustrating; in the end--Kawasaki rates it only for a 5-pound load.

EXCELLENT, ergonomically correct and comfortable backpacks, tank bags, etc., are available for much less than the Kawasaki package rack costs (around $ 100).

Didn't find other brand aftermarket package racks available; Kawasaki, you let us down on this product.

Old 08-02-2006, 10:49 AM
1st Gear Member
Default RE: Rack for KLR250

Link to this thread posted in "DIY" forum.

Old 08-13-2006, 08:32 PM
Default RE: Installing Rack for KLR250

This is a post I made on another forum:
How do you remove the wiring to the turn signals?
Further searching on the forum came up with the answer: remove the
tool bag and the wiring connections are underneath.

I did not have quite the problems others had, I used a large drift
to line up the fender holes and tapped the rack and the black u-
shaped brace piece that connects the two sides and to which the rack
attaches with a mallet and dowel and got things lined up prtty well.
I cut off the fat end of the turnsignal bases, approximately 3/32", to get more shaft to
penetrate through the holes to allow more threads to be engaged. I
carefully did this with an x-acto saw and a vise. A band saw would
have been nice.

I lined up the allen head screw holes first and started the threads,
then lined up the fender, brace and rack holes. Then tightened the
allen head bolts and next the fender bolts. No cutting, drilling or
filing needed (except for the turnsignal bases).

I wish everyone as easy a time as I had.
>

Old 08-14-2006, 03:24 AM
1st Gear Member

Glad you installed your rack to your satisfaction, LeftyS7! However, I wouldn't consider sawing off the bases of the turn signals "easy," since the manufacturer's accessory for its own product does not fit without alteration (i.e., sawing off the turn signal bases, etc.).

Surely, Kawasaki possesses the competence and capability for producing an accessory fitting one of its bikes, "out of the box."

Yet, the KLR250 package rack remains about twice as large in area (horizntal length vs. width) as the OEM rack of the KLX250S

Old 09-18-2006, 03:41 PM
1st Gear Member

Here's how the angle of the package rack can be "adjusted" (i.e., bent to suit), if the final angle's unsatifactory:

Downward force on the long ends of the levers will raise the rear of the rack (top picture) or lower it (bottom image).