KLR 250 Starting Help Please

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2013, 02:28 AM
Default KLR 250 Starting Help Please

A week ago I bought my first KLR 250, a 1985 model with about 5500miles. It had been sitting quite a while before I bought it and wouldn't run at time of purchase.

Anyhow brought it home, drained the old gas, did a quick carb clean, put it back together and it fired right up on the 3rd or 4th kick. Rode it for 2-3 hours that day and it started fine warm, even after laying it over once. It sat for 5-6 hours, enough to cool down and started right up on the 2nd kick.

The next day I can't get it started to save my life. Kicking and struggling for over an hour and can't even get a splutter out of it. I've read everything on every forum on the Internet and I'm at a complete loss.

I checked valve clearances, they were too tight. I adjusted the valves to 0.010 which is what my kawi dealer directed. I have seen on this forum guys talk about 0.008-0.009. Does that make much of a difference? Is 0.010 too much?

I did a very thorough clean of the carb. I'm a bit of a rookie but as far as I can tell, pilot and main jets are clean, float is set right, pilot screw is adjusted right and choke is working like it should.

The plug looks great, gap is fine and throws a mean spark if I kick with the plug out. Also each time I took the plug out after kicking a while, thinking I had it flooded, plug was always dry.

Compression seems good, It has good resistance when I kick and it makes a good put put sound.

I have done all the regular maintenance, throttle/clutch cable adjustments, oil and filter change, chain, coolant etc.

I'm at a complete loss, it ran like a dream the first day I got it, at least once I got fresh gas into it.

Help Please!! I'm tired of smacking the top of my foot into that dang foot peg without at least getting a running engine in return.

Old 03-21-2013, 03:24 PM

Wow, this place is dead... Thought people told me this was a good place to get info about kawi bikes now that I have one. Not even a hello... guess I'll be on my way.

Old 05-02-2013, 11:31 PM

I would check the pilot jet again, maybe something in the gas tank plugged it up after it ran for awhile. I had the same problem until I found my jet blocked. It starts on the 2-3 kick after sitting for 2-3 weeks at a time. The pilot jet, is the non-removable one.

Old 05-02-2013, 11:50 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by paulschmid07
Wow, this place is dead... Thought people told me this was a good place to get info about kawi bikes now that I have one. Not even a hello... guess I'll be on my way.
I have to admit, I never remember reading this thread. Sorry the OP didn't get the help he was looking for. Usually he would of have had 10 replies by now with 10 varying opinions. #2 trying taking the carb out and make sure there is no debris in there and the jets are clear. Look good and hard, it doesn't take much to clog a jet. Lastly, make sure your fuel lines are clear of obstructions too. Good luck, and don't feel bad if people ignore you, we just don't like noobs. J/K!