KF Help & Suggestion Center Need help with KF? Ask. Have a suggestion to better KF? Tell us here.

Cross Country Motorcycle Shipping

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2011, 05:26 AM
1st Gear Member
Angry Cross Country Motorcycle Shipping

Does anyone have any first hand experience shipping a bike cross country or over long distances? I have gotten several quotes from shipping companies ranging from $625-$795 one way, but when I look at their contracts they all seem to act as "brokers", and when I ask very specific questions about remote delivery charges and over all rates they all seem to get a bit sketchy, even the "bigger" carriers. I was going to ride but I'll only get 3 weeks off back home, and the bike is going from storage to the shop for a few days. I need to get it from just outside Pittsburgh, PA to Mammoth Lakes, CA. Mammoth is about 3 hours south of Reno, NV and is a remote delivery for the ones that will admit that fact (2 said remote delivery charges are determined by the driver) and all will only quote a price from PA to CA with a foot note saying " remote delivery charges may apply". All but one (JC Motors) will only accept a deposit at time of pick up and a balance to be paid in cash (2-5%+ for plastic) at delivery, and I want to pay in full at pick up to avoid any surprises from shady subcontractors (seems they all subcontract). Thing is, in this day and age of Google maps and GPS (taking into account other drop offs and pick ups) I feel I should be able to get more solid answers. I can ride (6-7 days) for about the same cost, but it's one less week with family. And getting a quote for lower cost terminal to terminal shipping (Reno or LA) is even harder to nail down. Any help will be appreciated.

Old 03-11-2011, 08:22 PM
1st Gear Member

Jc motors all the way, ive shipped with them plenty of times, never seen split payments. i just payed them over the phone with a cc and got my bike in about a week. from deep florida to ohio

Old 03-13-2011, 06:37 AM
1st Gear Member

Thanks sw0ggd0gg.I got all my initial quotes from Freight Center, a clearing house for shipping, and then contacted each one for a better quote. JC did seem like the best and the only one that would let me pay in full, but couldn't quote the remote delivery charge until I booked a shipment (they didn't know what the fuel surcharge would be). The also had some of the best reviews. The only thing that made me hesitate was their delivery time frame window of 10 days. But I think I'm going to go with Federal Companies, the people who operate Allied Van Lines. At $644 with the remote del. and fuel charge, and a time frame I can work with (5 day window), It's about $75 less than JC's PA to CA quote without the extra charges. If I didn't live and work way out in the Sierras, it would be much easier. Thanks for the referral though.