2008 250r vs used 500r

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2008, 04:00 PM
Default 2008 250r vs used 500r

The 2008 Ninja 250r is very appealing and I was just about to get one. OTOH, I'm starting to seriously wonder if a used 500r used is a better choice for my particular needs. Key issues:

- I live in the East Village section of NYC. Park on the street between cars, moving it every couple days for alt side pkng, no parking garages here at earthly rates avail (that I know of). That means that propensity to be knocked over + theft concerns are an issue. My neighbor parks a new Triumph Rocket III here, and so far no probs (expensive bike, but it is 800 lbs.) Center stand would make me feel a whole lot better.

- Driving conditions: mostly city, but at least once a week taking a cruise out to the beaches etc is something i'm doing more of.

1. Centerstand. 500 has one, new 250 doesn't. Could be important for street parking since on my current scooter, when I left it on the side stand, I found the bike on its side *2* times and watched it nearly go over a third (was able to scream to save it that time). Ever since i've used the centerstand, I've seen it physically moved a few inches *numerous* times but it's never gone over (must be getting tapped and/or someone gets out and moves it). Seems logical to me that cars will routinely tap you when trying to get in/out of a space. On the centerstand it can survive the nudge whereas a light bike on a sidestand is going DOWN, especially a Ninja. True?

2. Performance. we're talking twice the cc's. CAN ANYONE COMMENT if that's really a world of difference that i'll appreciate especially since some people say that the 250r feels too under-powered very quickly? OTOH, I love shifting and I hear that it's a ton of fun to wind through the 250's gears, the only bike really where you can do so at legal speeds. ALSO, and this might be big, since I live in the city, maybe a bigger engine is gonna get boring when you never leave 2nd or 3rd gear most of the time, the 250 might shine better in manhattan. again, correct me if you know better. So this issue could point either way.

3. Looks. I think the 250 is amazingly handsome at this price, while the current 500 is BUTT UGLY! It really needs a restyling like the 250 just got. When you see it in the brochure it seems like a typo and they only give it half a page. BUT- maybe this is an advantage on some level since it will get less attention than the sexy 250. I'll just have to get laid less (kidding!)
The 500 also has less fairings to break off if it does fall.

4. Price. They are really exactly the same. I found a dealer out of state who'll do the new 250 for $3500 total (let's keep this point for another post rather than talking about it here, but assume it's true). An '05-'07 used 500 are all over craigslist for about the same price. In either case, I'd pay taxes and reg myself.

So... Which would you go for if you were me?? And any insight to compare the 2 bikes would be really appreciated. I'll keep this thread updated.