Kawasaki Mule Discuss the multi purpose Mule within.

1998 Kaw Mule won't start when weather is cold

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-2021, 01:58 AM
Default 1998 Kaw Mule won't start when weather is cold

I need some advice. What recommendations do you have for a '98 Mule 550 300C that won't turn over when the weather gets 40 degrees F or below? The battery seems good. Jump starting it won't help, not even jumping it from the solenoid. I turn the key and can hear the solenoid click. A nice solid click. It clicks as frequently as I turn the key, but the starter does not spin. Once in a while turning the key very slowly will find a sweet spot and then it starts. That's not often. When the temp gets around 50 degrees F there's no problem. Starts fine. I've heard it's the switch, the fuse, the solenoid, the cables, the battery, or the starter. Any thoughts of narrowing the list? I do own a replacement solenoid that I bought a couple years ago. Since I own it, I'll replace it. It appears I have to take the starter apart to get that white plastic pin into the shifting arm, is that correct? Is that a DIY kind of job? Any help appreciated. Thanks, David

This is an update to my own post. Turning the key and "click, click, click." So, I opened the little fuse case next to the battery, cleaned the fuse and re-installed, turned the key and started immediately. So far, messing with the fuse seems to have solved the problem. It possibly was a dirty fuse although it did not look corroded. Or possibly I wiggled a loose wire. Or possibly the problem was taking a nap and it'll show up again tomorrow. The frustration with this problem is it isn't consistent.

Feb 10, 2022. This is an update to my own post. The fuse case may not have been the issue. Though it did resolve the problem for a few days, the problem came back. Possible tugging on the wires was more of a fix than cleaning the ends of the fuse. I do feel the problem is something loose in the electrical harness and not a weak battery. My next attempt was feeling behind the keyed ignition switch. With one hand I'm turning the key and hearing the click in the solenoid, with the other hand pushing in on the wires going to the ignition switch, and it started right up. Possibly a loose wire? Or a worn out switch? That OEM switch is expensive. Anyhow, it's starting up again. Will update again later.

Nov 17, 2022 Another update to my post should someone have this same issue. It is the solenoid causing the issue, and the best solution is to wire in a 2nd solenoid next to the original. However, (and I don't know how to wire in the 2nd solenoid) the lead mechanic at the Kawasaki place where I bought the Mule said a temporary solution is to just hold the key in the start position until the starter starts. Maybe 5 seconds, maybe a bit longer. He says it's a common problem, his solution is the 2nd solenoid, but until then just hold the key in the start position. It works!!!

Feb 18, 2023 Another update. Yes, holding the key to the start position does help, but not always. After inspection of my Mule 550, the Kawasaki dealer says the only true fix is the 2nd solenoid. However, he also says the battery that Kawasaki recommends which is the battery I'm using isn't powerful enough. Maybe it was when brand new, but my battery is a couple years old. He installed a larger battery and says go with the method of holding the key in the start position and that should work. If some day it doesn't then do the 2nd solenoid. I can live with that. This Mule 550 is 23 years old and has only been back to the shop one time, and that was last month. Pretty good!

Last edited by Dbcriss; 02-19-2023 at 01:52 AM. Reason: Trying to make post more interesting so as to get a response.
Old 01-10-2022, 12:22 PM

I don't know but my first guess is to remove the fuse holder near the battery, clean it and make sure the springs that press against the fuse have not gone soft. They may possibly be contracting with cold weather just like the spring in an old fashioned thermostat. Stretch them out a bit or replace if necessary.