Kawasaki Jet Ski's One, Two & Three Passenger Jet Ski talk within here.

2005 stx 12F Computer Part Number

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2007, 05:03 PM
Default 2005 stx 12F Computer Part Number

Hi folks,
On to my ongoing saga trying to get my 05 STX 12F running properly.

A few questions:
1) Can anybody give me the official part number for the display computer on the 05 STX 12F? (and suggestions for where I can buy one, besides Kawi?)

2) I remember seeing a post where somebody tried jump starting their ski and fried the computer, but I can't seem to find that thread now, can anybody point me toward it?

3) Can anyone confirm that there are two computers on an 05 STX 12F? The actual ignition controller (CDI) and the "system computer" that runs the display and gives other instructions to the CDI?

4) Will the ski run with a bad CDI computer?

Here's the problems I have been having: I have two "identical" 05 STX 12Fs. One runs great, the other doesn't.

Differences:
1) When I turn the key switch ON, the good ski beeps twice as the display goes through the self test, and beeps twice again when the ski is ready to start. The bad ski, doesn't beep at all, but the display goes through the same self-test in the same amount of time.
2) The bad ski registers 0 MPH all the time. I swapped speedos between the two skis, and the speedo sensor is ok, bad ski still has 0 MPH all the time.
3) The bad ski won't rev past about 5000 RPM (seems to be some sort of limiter cutting in), and confirmed it is not in SLO mode
4) All other display functions on the bad ski work correctly (or at least the same as the good ski)
5) The spark plugs on the bad ski look like it is running rich. Could that be related to a timing or EFI issue from the CDI computer not getting the right information from the "system computer"?

Any other ideas anyone? I took it to a local dealer who said "yep, the display computer isn't working correctly", but they couldn't defintively say that was the problem and wanted to swap computers between the two skis to see if that fixed the problem (Gee thanks, at $90/hour to figure out if that was even the problem).

Thanks in advance for any help![/align]

Old 09-10-2007, 01:26 AM
Default RE: 2005 stx 12F Computer Part Number

25031-3754 Display $799.89 If not new from ebay or salvage companies.
21175-3729 Control unit electric IS the only computer on this model $209.43
There are a host of electrical components that make up this system, but no more controlers.
The CDI you are refering to is the controler above. It comprises of the fuel injection management and ing timing functions. It could run but not advance timing, seen that before in other units. But most likely you could be having a sensor failure on the unit somewhere else. There are timing, crankshaft, temp and ect. Get yourself a factory manual and a good multi meter and test the components. At least you can take values from both skis and compare against the readings in the manual.

Old 09-13-2007, 04:13 AM
Default RE: 2005 stx 12F Computer Part Number

Thanks for the tips. I replaced the display computer and that fixed some of the problems, but not all.
I just posted another thread that describes my continuing problems (won't go to full revs).

Cheers, E.