General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

ZXR Engine cuts outs

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2013, 06:21 AM
Default ZXR Engine cuts outs

HI,
Iam a first timer on KF so please be gentle with me and also a first time on a Kawasaki but i really need some help. I bought a classic ZXR 750 H 1989 and luv it, i want to get it back to its full spec again like it was in its prime and iam half way there. But now i have a problem the bike starts first time everytime i let her warm up, she revs fine she sounds good but soon as i put her in gear go to pull away she cuts out on me if i pull the clutch straight back in she revs up good again. I have put new plugs in her, new petrol filter, new hoses, carbs have been clean but still the same. I would be so gratefull if some body could give me a little help or maybe some has had the same problem and knows what is the cause of it. Thanks so much for your time.
Craig

Old 08-29-2013, 12:32 PM
Super Moderator
1st Gear Member

Welcome Craig. We're a pretty friendly bunch here; no worries.
From your description, I'm wondering about a "cut-off" switch issue? (Check your kick-stand.) Sounds like it's nothing really serious...
Glad to have you with us.

Old 08-29-2013, 06:45 PM
1st Gear Member

Hi mitch1. I think jeffzx9 is onto something with the side stand safety switch probably being your issue.

Please don't feel insulted if my questions seem mundane, but diagnostics over the internet are difficult at best, and by not asking critical questions, very simple solutions are overlooked and I look like a dumbazz. I try to avoid that.

1. Is the side stand up when you are attempting to engage clutch?

2. If so, check the plunger on the side stand switch. Make sure it isn't froze up or bound up from road grime / chain lube. WD40 works well to clean and lubricate the switch plunger.

3. If you still have no joy, find the wires leading to the side stand safety switch, and identify their colors. Should find two Green/White and Black/Yellow wires. Pull side cover, these wires should be running down the frame tube. If they will unplug [bullet connectors] at the switch, pull them there, otherwise, follow the wires up the tube and cut them and connect the Green/White wire to the Black/Yellow wire to make a complete circuit. See what your bike does then.

Safety switches are on the bike for a reason. If this solves your problem, you might want to do what is necessary to make the safety switch functional again to prevent an accident take off with the side stand down. I have some nagging sense of responsibility to point that out.

Please let us know what develops, and good to see you here!

Old 08-30-2013, 09:04 AM

Hi Guy,
Thanks for a warm welcome, You were both spot on the side stand was the culprit a bit of WD40 and she was back to full speed. As soon as i read the post it hit me like a hammer and i sat here and kicked myself 3-4 times and thought how dum i was. I have only just bought her about amonth ago and clean her up pretty good already just the basic so i can use her, Now living in Sweden (comimg from England) she will have to come of the road for the winter a good 4-5 months so time for an engine rebuild. Any good little tips on what to watch out for would be kindley accepted and i will get some pics on and keep it you updated hows its going.
Time to say cheers for now and if you feel like saying hello your welcome to Sweden.

Creaig

Old 08-30-2013, 12:56 PM
Super Moderator
1st Gear Member

Very cool. Glad we could help. As for winter; I wouldn't let that slow you down too much. I like to ride mine pretty much all year (unless "Mr. Physics" dictates slippery road conditions.) Cold? Bah; more layers! I've been out at 16 degrees F. The engine and battery stay lubed and charged (respectively), and it's good for the moving parts.
Post up some pics!! We're always interested in seeing nice rides!
Glad you're with us, glad we could help. Gear up; stay safe.

Old 08-30-2013, 04:32 PM
1st Gear Member
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by mitch1
Hi Guy,
Thanks for a warm welcome, You were both spot on the side stand was the culprit a bit of WD40 and she was back to full speed. As soon as i read the post it hit me like a hammer and i sat here and kicked myself 3-4 times and thought how dum i was. I have only just bought her about amonth ago and clean her up pretty good already just the basic so i can use her, Now living in Sweden (comimg from England) she will have to come of the road for the winter a good 4-5 months so time for an engine rebuild. Any good little tips on what to watch out for would be kindley accepted and i will get some pics on and keep it you updated hows its going.
Time to say cheers for now and if you feel like saying hello your welcome to Sweden.

Creaig
Check parts availability for everything engine related before you tear into it. Main bearings,Cam Chain Guides and a few other things are no longer available here in the U.S. for the H models. You'll need a good contingency plan to work around the issues you may encounter. Good luck.

Old 08-31-2013, 11:49 PM
Administrator
1st Gear Member

Congrats on the fix. As mentioned above, you need to plan ahead if you plan on tearing older rides apart.

Welcome to KF and congrats on the hoover tubed ride.