General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

ZX7R Plug Wires & Caps

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2010, 05:37 PM
1st Gear Member
Default ZX7R Plug Wires & Caps

Having trouble with plug wire caps now. I didn't feel like making my own and didn't want to spend $160 on the ONLY set that I could find that was supposedly aready cut and crimped and such (hotwires I think). So I went to the shop, took the tech my old wires, and he ordered stuff to make them. The first wires were too short to match the lengths I needed. Then he got the wrong caps... this whole thing took like a week and a half, where it was supposed to be a day or two. So he finally just ordered 100 ft of uncut wire so he could make mine, and just use that to make his own in the future. Got a real nice looking set of NGK caps, and I got to put them on last night and they do not fit in the holes! He said that he ordered the absolute longest ones available from his cataloges, and though the might be long enough, the only way I can get them to fit is to take the rubber grommets off both ends of the caps. They fit in then, but with the grommets off, they don't seem to grib on to the end of the plug quite as well.

I'm having a hell of a time locating anything close to an OEM replacement. I'm on NGK website and looking at the XD05F ends and they are the closest looking to what was original. Does anybody happen to know where I can track down a cap that will indeed fit!!?? I'm temped to order these, but I have no way of knowing if they will fit or not. I've googled the part number trying to find specific dimensions (length and diameter being the important ones) so that I can compare to my originals, but am having no luck finding that. I have also considdered just using the new wires and putting the original caps back on, but what started me down this road was the fact that one of the caps is cracked right at the 90 degree bend, so I'm down to 3! Plus being that those have some 20 thousand miles on them, I'd just prefer to have new. And I'd prefer to do it while the bike is already all tore down!

Any ideas / suggestion on this one?

Pic is the NGK that I'm questioning...

Attached Thumbnails ZX7R Plug Wires & Caps-ngk-xd05f.jpg  
Old 04-20-2010, 12:32 AM
1st Gear Member

Cant help you out bro, I'm still running OEMs. But if you figure it out, let me know, I may need a set myself.

Old 04-20-2010, 05:15 PM
1st Gear Member

Here is the OEM one. THere is no way that the NGK I showed above will fit. This OEM one is a nice snug fit down in that hole, and that NGK is looks a hell of a lot bigger around. Especially with the rubber piece on the end.

I have looked EVERYWHERE online and cannot find anything. The OEM is stamped so I can tell it was made by Nichiwa (from Japan) and is model # XD05FMGH. So then I research that a bit and find they were a smaller company that at some point was taken over by NGK. And that cap I showed above just happens to be model XD05F, which I would certainly think to be the replacement for the Nichiwa part I have!! But it's not! And I want to punch something!!!

Attached Thumbnails ZX7R Plug Wires & Caps-img00301-20100420-1257.jpg  
Old 04-20-2010, 05:54 PM
Super Moderator
1st Gear Member

Get a set of Nology Hotwires. They are "cap wires" (built-in capacitor). Most new vehicles, especially cars/trucks, have these standard. I got a set for my old 9 a few years ago. Nice clean burn on the plugs, and the plugs seem to last longer. Go to www.nology.com. Not cheap, but worth it, IMHO.