General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

ZX7R - Front Sprocket - Clutch Slave Cyl

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2010, 04:19 PM
1st Gear Member

The thing that started all of this was wanting to bring the sprocket setup back closer to stock. I knew this thing was built up for the quarter mile, which doesn't do much for me running on the express way every day. I have been getting about 20 miles p/gal since I got it, which is worse than my Charger! I knew the teeth ratios were modified for low end power, but until I took it apart and actually looked up what stock was I found out that I have been running 2 down in the front, and 4 up in the back! So I'm taking the front back to the stock (16) for now, and going to leave the back as is. I'm hoping I can use my same chain since I'm only changing the front, which [I'm hoping] will only result in a slight difference in length.

I think with a 16 up front, that I might not be turning 7000-7200 rmp's @ 70 mph on the e-way. My round trip to work and home is 63 miles, which was working out to be almost exactly one tank of gas!

Old 04-12-2010, 05:00 PM
1st Gear Member

And here she is put together... (pic from last Fall)

Attached Thumbnails ZX7R - Front Sprocket - Clutch Slave Cyl-dsc02761.jpg  

Last edited by runovryou; 04-12-2010 at 05:04 PM.
Old 04-15-2010, 04:15 AM
Administrator
1st Gear Member

nice looking ride. Am jealous
I got approx 43mpg on mine cruising at 80mph though. so your fuel issues are of a concern. You need to go thru your carb settings and do the plug read. 20mpg is horse**** for this ride.

Old 04-15-2010, 04:33 PM
1st Gear Member

Thanks for the compliment. I don't want to get into the carbs on this thing! The guy that built this thing says it took him a month to get them dialed in right. I'm hoping with the gear change that I'll notice significant milage gains. If not, I'll get it back to the shop and let the mad scientist get in to it some more. I was trying to find a pic of the carbs but can't find anything right now. They are Keihin Flatslide CR downdraft I believe. Have a warning on the side.. "FOR RACE USE ONLY". Ha, that could be part of my fuel issue too!! I could go back to stock, but I really do love the performance I get out of this bike. I'm just trying to find that happy balance!

Old 04-15-2010, 05:49 PM
1st Gear Member

The more performance you get the more fuel you will use. Those race carbs probably dont have mileage in mind for those 1/4 mile runs, however if he modified the rest of the system, intake, exhaust, heads, etc., it might take you a while to get a stock set of carbs to match up. Get her back together and ride her a bit. If she still doesnt do what you want you can get everything ready and swap and tweak the carbs on a weekend. I have timed myself at around 30 minutes to get the carbs off, so should be no biggie.

Old 02-19-2011, 09:24 AM

Just wanted to leave a quick thankyou to all the guys in this thread. I've just changed my chain and sprockets on my zx7r and reading all of your comments made the whole process a hell of a lot less stressful !!
Incidently, I used a 27mm socket and a cracking bar with all my body weight. You guys were right, it was fairly tight!!
Thanks again.

Old 02-20-2011, 10:52 AM
Administrator
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Kaiser
Just wanted to leave a quick thankyou to all the guys in this thread. I've just changed my chain and sprockets on my zx7r and reading all of your comments made the whole process a hell of a lot less stressful !!
Incidently, I used a 27mm socket and a cracking bar with all my body weight. You guys were right, it was fairly tight!!
Thanks again.

Welcome to KF Kaiser

good to hear that KF info was of assistance.

Post up pics of your ZX7